View Full Version : Adult skater getting media coverage.... News at 11 LOL just read.

singerskates
12-05-2003, 09:53 PM
HI guys and gals, this lowly adult skater will be getting photos
taken by the Windsor Star today at Tecumseh Arena at 4 PM. Will be
covering me about local adult skating, my competitive record ( ha ha
ha), up coming Adult Canadians and my need for a sponsor to get to
Canadians.

Ok, that was this morning that I wrote it but you know what, they really did come to take my picture for the paper. They took about 10 or so pics of me posing on the ice and I have no idea how many when I was warming up stuff. It was cool. They'll be calling me for an interview some time soon. So sponsorship here I come. Canadians here I come.

Brigitte

Black Sheep
12-05-2003, 11:19 PM
Almost two years ago, I had a picture of me taken for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel as I was skating an exhibition at Millenium Park (a fairly new Chicago outdoor rink). 8-)

jp1andOnly
12-06-2003, 12:21 AM
I'm going to be feature in a series of aricles about my skating and MS. I'll be featured in the BC journal as well as the one posted by the MS society that is national. I believe they are also trying to get something in the Vancouver Sun.

I'm not asking for sponsorship from anyone (even though one of the drug makers for MS meds has offered) I believe the sponsorship should be for those kiddies trying to make it to Olympics and Worlds. Not saying the Adult competition isn't as good as it gets but I'm an adult and I can take out a loan if I need to pay for my skating. Kids can't.

miss cleo
12-06-2003, 12:53 AM
I must agree with JP1 on the sponsorship issue for adults. Adult Skating is a recreational pursuit that adults pay for with their own disposible income. Unlike the kids, there is always next year for adult skaters if they don't have the funds to participate this year.
Asking others to pay for your recreational pursuit doesn't seem very "adult" to me.

jazzpants
12-07-2003, 01:11 PM
WOO HOO, Bridgette!!! Can I have your autograph??? 8-) :lol: 8-)

My primary coach was in the newspaper in an article promoting adult skaters as well too. Unfortunately I was not there for the article or shoot. Another student of his ended up w/the glory... Oh, well. :P

sk8er1964
12-07-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by miss cleo
I must agree with JP1 on the sponsorship issue for adults. Adult Skating is a recreational pursuit that adults pay for with their own disposible income. Unlike the kids, there is always next year for adult skaters if they don't have the funds to participate this year.
Asking others to pay for your recreational pursuit doesn't seem very "adult" to me.

Ummmm - I don't go to adult nationals because I am a recreational skater. I am a very serious adult skater. I have goals and I work very hard, every day, to try to achieve those goals. I consider adult nationals to be a very serious competition. Also, AN is a financial hardship for me, that I choose to take on, because I am dedicated to my sport. I'd kiss the feet of anyone who would sponsor me, at least to get my coach there, if nothing else. As far as there being "next year", well next year this aging body might not be able to do those double jumps, or I might get an injury or whatever. I don't look at next year as a substitute for this year's AN.

As far as sponsorship goes, Singerskates is in Canada, and on another website I have heard discussion of sponsorships for the new Canadian adult nationals. Sponsorship doesn't seem out of line there, at least from what some of the other skaters planning on going to the Canadian AN are saying.

Good luck, Singerskates!

jp1andOnly
12-07-2003, 10:42 PM
The adult nationals in Canada is actually just an invitational event. There are no qualifying competitions to get there. The US has an awesome system for Adult nationals which I would love to see adopted in Canada.

sk8er1964
12-07-2003, 10:53 PM
Yeah, I've heard on the other site that it is not what we have in the US. (BTW, most US AN events are not qualifying - just the Gold and Masters championship events).

However, it is a start, and wouldn't it be wonderful to have an official North American adult championship event some day ???