View Full Version : ISI competition questions

Luenatic
07-10-2002, 04:30 PM
If I'm competing at Delta level, am I restricted to do Delta level (or below) moves? For instance, can I do a toe-loop, salchow, RFI spiral, 2-foot spin and a waltz jump in one program? Since these are FS1 and FS2 moves, I'm not so sure. Any advice?

MissIndigo
07-10-2002, 08:00 PM
Check with the director of your competition and your coach--both should know. If this is a smaller local competition you may be able to do those moves. One child I know of competed at Delta level in our club comp this year and she had a waltz/side hop/salchow combo (or something similar) in her routine and the judges evidently did not have a problem with this--she won! If you are unsure, I might just stick to the moves in Delta and FS1.

Just asking--if you can do all these moves consistently, why not test up to FS1 soon? Or compete at FS1 if the club will let you? Those moves would make for a nice lower freestyle artistic program, and skaters performing a FS1 artistic program could certainly include the moves you described.

kar5162
07-11-2002, 05:46 PM
Delta technically does not have an artistic program though I've seen competitions that offer one. Artistic is unrestricted so you could perform whatever you want. Your technical program however is [b:23a33d9073]supposed [/b:23a33d9073] to include all Delta required elements and [b:23a33d9073]one[/b:23a33d9073] freestyle 1 element...elements from Pre-Alpha through Gamma can be included, but nothing else...so you'd only be allowed to do one of - spiral, waltz jump, 1/2 flip, or 2 foot spin (repeated as many times as you want). However, this depends on the "judges" who may or may not penalize you.

Sounds as though you are at least nearly ready for FS 1 though.

Luenatic
07-11-2002, 06:11 PM
I talked to my coach, she told me the exact same thing you guys are telling me. Thanks! :)

I'm toying with the idea of entering the ISI Adult Champ this year. But the test dealline is July 18. I have tested up to Delta and I don't know if I'll have enough time to test FS1.

I talked to my coach last night. I've decided if I can't pass FS1 before the test deadline, I won't enter Adult Champ this year. I'll have another chance to test FS1 next Wednesday. I'll have this weekend to practice back inside edges. That's the only element I'll have to master. I don't think it's too difficult. I can do it, but not too graceful. :oops:

isk8te
07-16-2002, 08:51 AM
In ISI competitions the rules are very specific about what you can an cannot do. If you are competiting at the Delta level then you are restricted to right forward inside three turn, left forward inside three turn, lunge or shoot the duck, forward outside edges, forward inside edges, and your freestyle 1 element. If you do any elements that are from a higher level then deductions should be taken. I would not reccommend that you put extra elements in and then take your chance to see if the deductions are made. Maybe re-evaluate your situation and skate a higher level such as Freestyle 1 or 2 when you can do some more complicated elements. Freestyle 1 and higher levels are also able to compete more events such as Artistic and Interperative. If you have any more questions about ISI just drop me a message. I skated ISI Freestyle 9 and USFSA Senior Ladies. I am living proof that both can be done!! :P

Yazmeen
07-16-2002, 09:04 AM
Delta having an artistic program depends on the competition. I have just competed at our small, local competitions, usually run by my own coach and our skating program director. They tend to allow Artistic at lower levels, and I've done both Gamma and Delta artistic programs. (I'm currently in Freestyle 2 and will compete Freestyle 1 this year).

I would highly recommend competing at Delta--its probably the best basic skills level to compete at, because in practicing your program, you will develop very strong forward edges, better three turns, etc. The Delta elements allow you to have good flow and speed, too. I've talked to many young skaters who said Delta was their favorite competition level. Go for it--even though you can't toe loop and sal, I still think you'll find it a valuable experience, especially if you've never competed before.

Beth

jazzpants
07-19-2002, 03:09 AM
I guess this is a good opportunity to ask this but....who's going to ISI Adult Champs in SF??? (And if you're going, let me know which group you're competiting at toos!) :)

I'll be there, but only as a spectator. Don't have enough time to get a program together to compete...and I got to get my pre-Bronze program together for Adults Sectionals!!! :) But I'll cheer louder if I know who you are.

Cheers,
jazzpants

Luenatic
07-19-2002, 08:38 AM
I just passed my FS1 Wednesday. 1 day before the test deadline. :)

If I can have my program put together before the end of the month, I may enter ISI Adult Champ. My first ever competition!

Jazzpants, do you know if Jay will be there? He told me that he's not skating ISI competition, but he could be spectator! ISI Adult Champ is at his home rink afterall. I'm not sure if he'll be in Australia by then though. I want to say hi to him!