View Full Version : How Bad IS That Hill, Really? (Lake Placid)

Black Sheep
12-04-2003, 07:04 PM
I'm slated to stay at the Holiday Inn in Lake Placid during the week of Adult Nationals 2004. I thought I'd booked the best one as far as walking to the Olympic Center is concerned (I'm trying to cut down on costs by skipping the rental car). Unfortunately, the members of another skating board I belong to are all complaining that the hill up to the hotel from the OC is too steep.

How hard is it to climb, really? I'm in great shape, and I figure it should be no problem for me. Right now, my greatest fear is that I'll be the only skater staying there because no one else wants to climb a hill. Should I book something easier?

miss cleo
12-04-2003, 08:13 PM
I have stayed at the Holiday Inn several times and the hill was no big deal. Seems funny to me that some folks consider themselves "athletes" but walk up a hill...no way.
If you don't need to park in the handicapped space, you can handle the hill. Besides,I saw you,Black Sheep, charge down two flights of stairs, down the hallway to the locker and back up the steps in less than 2 minutes (with skates on no less!) to grab your tape and then jump on the ice to skate in Utah last month. That hill is no match for you!

CanAmSk8ter
12-04-2003, 10:03 PM
In three words: not that bad. I've climbed it in snow and ice and I still didn't think it was that bad. Just don't do what I do and try to speed-walk up it ;)

blue111moon
12-05-2003, 07:01 AM
I've been going to Lake Placid since the early '80s and have explored just about every hotel, motel, lodge and B&B in the area. I stayed at the Holiday Inn once. I don't like the hill at all and my experience with the hotel itself was such that, even if the hill disappeared, I would not stay there again.

My first choice is always the Golden Arrow (I have my reservation there already); second would be the Adirondack. The Howard Johnson's been renovated and is nice if you have a car. The Hilton and the Ramada are on a par but I only use them when I can't get closer. My experience with the Northwoods is limited, but I have budget-minded friends who stay there all the time and say it's fine if you don't spend a lot of time in your room.

But each to his/her own.

BringontheRain
12-05-2003, 08:37 AM
I love the Golden Arrow and feel it is the closest to the rink in walking time, however the hill is not bad at all. I stayed at Lyseks one year for camp and did the hill quite a few times each day and didn't find it hard.

flo
12-05-2003, 12:12 PM
It's a good warm up for skating.

dorvalskater1
12-05-2003, 01:40 PM
I did that hill 2-3 times a day from the rink to Lysek's as well. It's not bad at all, winter may be different, but still, not that bad!

Figureskates
12-05-2003, 06:41 PM
We have stayed at the Holiday Inn plenty of times and I find the hill no problem at all.

In fact we were there for sectionals two weeks ago and we climbed the hill during and after a blizzard.

I will look for you at Adult nationals in April Black Sheep since I will be there as well since my club is host and I usually work the registration table and if I can pass one more test, I may even compete.

toepick
12-06-2003, 03:14 PM
Its not bad at all. If I can handle it, anyone can.

Black Sheep
12-06-2003, 04:11 PM
Thanks, everyone! Now I know I've made the right choice for me! 8-)

Skatingsarah
12-06-2003, 04:55 PM
I liked the hill, it's only bad if you keeping look up, lol. Its like almost there...okay still not there.... okay finally almost there, lol! Actaully raced up it a couple of times.... now thats burning, hehe! But it really isnt as bad as some people make it out to be. You'll be totally fine! Have fun in lake placid, I loved it is soooo beautiful!!
-Sarah

Michigansk8er
12-06-2003, 05:35 PM
I stayed there last time. The hill was NOT fun at 5:00 in the morning with a foot of snow on the ground.........with my skates and dress bag. Once the snow melted it was fine. If I ever go again I plan to stay across the street, however.

Black Sheep
12-06-2003, 06:24 PM
I wager it won't be so bad in April, right??

PattyP
12-07-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Black Sheep
I wager it won't be so bad in April, right??

The last time AN was in Lake Placid, 2000 I think, we got about 2 feet of snow 8O ..yes, in April. I think someone said that it was the most snow that they had gotten all year. I'm sure that is a rare occurence though.

I did make it absolutely beautiful, however. I have great pictures from that trip.

PattyP

flo
12-07-2003, 09:50 PM
The three Adult Nationals I have been to in Lake Placid have all involved driving up that mountain in a snow storm. By the end of the week - Spring!

Black Sheep
12-07-2003, 09:56 PM
D'OH!!!!!!!!!!! 8O

sk8er1964
12-07-2003, 09:56 PM
Heck - we welcomed you to AN this year in Ann Arbor with a snow storm - I don't doubt we'll see snow in Lake Placid next year :D .

Black Sheep
12-07-2003, 10:38 PM
I thought that the Holiday Inn was the place to stay for Adult Nats., but I was wrong. I could have had a room for the same rate at the Golden Arrow--without having to walk up that stupid mound of snow--but no, they're all booked up. I blew it. I've asked them to put me on a waiting list, but I'm not too optimistic....

Any other recommendations?? :roll:

Figureskates
12-08-2003, 05:51 AM
We were at Lake Placid for the sectionals a few weeks back. Yup, a foot of snow!! An unusual snow storm for so early in the season.

Being a weatherman and future resident of Lake Placid, you can get beauties for snow storms in mid April. Flip side it can also go into the upper 60s and low 70s.

For Adult nationals, we are staying across the street, on the off chance that I may be competing but also since I halp out at registration, I usually get to the Olympic Center early.

It will be fun to put some faces on the adult skaters that post here!!

flo
12-08-2003, 09:30 AM
For the past Lake Placid Nationals, and this one we have rented a house for the week. One year we had so many of us that we rented two. If you're going to be there for the week, it's a great deal and very convenient.

climbsk8
12-08-2003, 12:58 PM
I really like the idea of renting a house for AN...we stayed at the Holiday Inn the last time, but I like having a place to cook and a coffeepot (I am a caffeine-motivated skater.)

As my screen name suggests, I am both a mountain climber and a skater...and I thought the hill sucked at 6:30 a.m. in a foot of snow, and it sucked worse at 11:30 pm after half a bottle of wine!

Does anyone have suggestions for where to start looking if we'd like to rent a house this time?

flo
12-08-2003, 01:29 PM
Hi climbskate,
Look on-line at the Lake Placid rentals. It's great to have the kitchen and fireplace there for you.

Isk8NYC
12-08-2003, 11:15 PM
I once stayed (in January) at a Bed & Breakfast up "that hill." It was really nice and comfortable. It's been some time, so I doubt I could find the name, but you may want to think about trying a B&B.

I've also stayed at the Hilton (great lounge, long walk) and the Holiday Inn. The Hill didn't bother me - but it is a workout on the way back.

Lili
12-12-2003, 10:38 PM
Hahaha I've stayed at the Holiday Inn so many times I didn't even have to look at Lake Placid in parenthesis.

Like some of people have already said, the hill is not that bad. Just dont try to run up it!

CanAmSk8ter
12-13-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Lili

Like some of people have already said, the hill is not that bad. Just dont try to run up it!

LOL glad to hear I'm not the only person who's done that! I challenged my partner to a race and we both regretted it the next day. Luckily, we were done competing by that point. On the brighter side, I did beat him 8-)

Skatingsarah
12-14-2003, 01:36 PM
Good I'm not to only person crazy enough to run up it. Although I didnt win...lol! But I totally agree, the next day I woke up and all of us that ran up the hill sure as hell werent firing up another race that day, lol!

MQSeries
12-14-2003, 02:49 PM
I bet no hill is as crazy as the hills in San Francisco. I visited SF for the first time this summer and walked around the city a lot. Those hills are killer. No wonder SF is often voted the fittest city in the country. You have to be to navigate those streets.

IceDanceMom NW
12-14-2003, 07:34 PM
The Hill is not bad. I did take a fall going down the hill late at night during Junior Nationals when there was black ice under snow, but that could have happened anywhere. The only issue about the hill is that Lake Placid in the summer can be very hot, so if you are walking up the hill after practice with all your gear, you may bemoan your fate and compare yourself to the other skaters who are staying just across the street from the arena. The second issue for me is that if you or your partner forgets your tape or something critical for the program, it is a longer haul up and down than if you were across the street at the Golden Arrow or the Adirondack Inn.

Frankly, there are so many CLOSE accomodations at Lake Placid, that any is fine. The Holiday Inn is upscale with a wonderful pasta bar and very supportive staff. Check it out and see what you think! If cost is an issue, there are much cheaper places to stay only a short drive out of town, and there is a large parking lot next to the arena.

dbny
12-14-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by MQSeries
I bet no hill is as crazy as the hills in San Francisco. I visited SF for the first time this summer and walked around the city a lot. Those hills are killer. No wonder SF is often voted the fittest city in the country. You have to be to navigate those streets.

So true! The first time I was in SF, we came to a hill (down) with the warning sign "HILL" which someone had crossed out and written below "CLIFF". The street had an actual ridge where it began it's descent. We backed up and went another way.

Black Sheep
12-15-2003, 08:44 AM
I've changed hotels since starting this thread. I can't believe it's still going! 8O I had no idea it would turn out to be so popular. 8-)

Figureskates
12-15-2003, 03:33 PM
Cure for the hill?

A couple of Smoke Porters at The Adirondack Steak and Seafood, or a couple Frostbite ales at The Lake Placid Brewery.

Hill? What hill!!

Lili
12-27-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Figureskates
Cure for the hill?

A couple of Smoke Porters at The Adirondack Steak and Seafood, or a couple Frostbite ales at The Lake Placid Brewery.

Hill? What hill!!

:lol:

sk84life
12-29-2003, 09:39 PM
heyy yea i've gone up and down that hill a thousand times i stay up in lyseks in the summer...the hill is a pain at 5:30 in the morning but in general no its not really that bad at all..:D

skaternum
01-02-2004, 10:43 AM
I've decided to keep my reservation at the Holiday Inn because (a) it's $20 cheaper than what I was quoted at the Golden Arrow and (b) I figure I won't make it to final round in freeskating and may not do an Interp, so the Hill may be my only exercise the rest of the week. :P

manleywoman
01-10-2004, 06:46 PM
Last time ANs were in Placid, by recommendation from my coach I stayed at Art Devlins, which is only 3 blocks from the Olympic Center. It's not fancy as far as lobby, restaurant or indoor pool (though they have an outdoor one, weather permitting) , but frankly, at Nationals I spend very little time in the hotel anyway. And they just renovated all the rooms, though I remember them being fine before. Most rooms have a view of the mountains. If you're in for saving money, it's a great choice. If you're in for a fancy vacation in addition to competing at Nationals, I'd go to one of the more resort-hotels. I'm saving my fancy vacation money for Europe this summer.

This is what my research found me on the closest hotels to the Olympic Arena:

The Arena is on 218 Main Street.

Art Devlins is on 350 Main Street and is only $68-$78/night.

Best Western Golden Arrow is on 150 Main, and prices range greatly depending on which room you get, but the cheapest I was quoted was $139/night.

Adirondack Inn By the Lake is on 217 Main Street and ranges from $69-$119/night, but according to their website they have a very unreasonable and strict deposit/cancellation policy.

THe Holiday Inn is on 1 Olympic Drive, and the website quotes $122.50/night

I don't know the area well enough to have any other additions to this list that are as close to the Olympic Arena. Anyone else?