View Full Version : questions about centering during spins

mikawendy
12-03-2003, 04:09 PM
Hi! I have another few questions about spins for you all--

I once heard that uncentered spins sometimes happen because the weight is shifting back and forth on the blade from forward to farther back on the blade. If this is true--what does that kind of tracing look like?

And also, I know how it feels to be too far forward on the blade during a spin--but how do you tell if you are too far back on the blade?

Do you eventually just catch an edge, or is there a way from telling on the tracing that you're too far back?

Thanks!

mousey
12-03-2003, 06:56 PM
from my experience, when i spin too far back on my blade, i fall. that usually only happens with sitspins though. most of the time i cant center a spin cause i am on too deep of an inside edge. and for the tracings, a long swirly thing that goes halfway across the rink is a good indication of an uncentered spin!:P :P

Elsy2
12-03-2003, 07:38 PM
Sounds to me like you are describing rocking on the blade, which I most certainly used to do in my Coronation Aces. Can't say for sure what the tracing looked like, but I would guess ovals instead of circles.

I eventually switched to a flatter blade which improved my spins eventually. Do much for the theory that a more rockered blade makes spins easier.....everyone is different I guess.

From what I remember, coaching tips for not rocking like that included really pulling in those abs, which is essential to spins and something I always neglect. Also not rising immediately to a very straight skating leg. A little bend in the skating leg can put you where you want to be.

sk8er1964
12-03-2003, 07:39 PM
Centering depends on your entry. If your entry is off, or wild, or any of the other things that can go wrong, it will be very hard to center the spin. Think of spinning a quarter (or a top) - if your spin is off, the quarter will wobble. Same concept.

MissIndigo
12-04-2003, 01:34 AM
One thing I've noticed when my spins are not centered is a difference in the width of the tracing left from the toe pick and blade contact, i.e., the "rim" around the circular "dinner plate" is the best way I know how to describe it. This indicates to me that I have not placed even pressure upon my blade, and am thus rocking on it. Sure way to kill a spin. I'm most guilty of this in camels, when I try to adjust head or leg height mid-spin.

triple twist
12-05-2003, 06:10 PM
Well for one thing, ifyou have dance blades or even boots, it will be considerably more difficult to center a spin! Try and keep your weight between your toe pick and the ball of your foot.

Skatingsarah
12-06-2003, 05:13 PM
From my experience its mostly the moving around on the blade once you find that rocker of your blade still to it. Once your body moves the centering will start to move as well. Thats as simple as I can put it lol ;)
-Sarah

Justine_R
12-06-2003, 07:33 PM
When i usally know if my spin is off centre is when i fall.

Isk8NYC
12-06-2003, 09:23 PM
To teach students the "sweet spot" of spinning, you can have them try and twist their feet back and forth on their toe picks, their blades, then have them find the small spot between that actually lets them spin. (I tell them that it's under the ball of their foot and they have to lift their toes to reach it.)

If you spin too far forward, your toe picks cause the spin to travel. The tracing looks like a bunch of scratchy circles spinning away from the starting point.

If you spin too far backward, the spin will slow down or you'll start to travel away on an edge. The tracing looks like big, irregular loops.

If you get it right, it's a bulls-eye!

DIDJAKNOW: One-foot spins are actually done on a single edge -- back inside for forward spins, forward outside for back spins. With practice, skaters can spin on the "opposite" edge. Takes sheer talent and bravery!

Which leads to another challenge: describe what it feels like to change edge during a spin.

dani
12-07-2003, 07:50 AM
Hmmm, I spin on a back outside edge for my back spin. And occasionally I switch to a forward inside. It is kind of weird feeling and not at all right. For me it is usually when I am trying to exit. So, I can't really explain how it feels, but it sure looks strange when you see someone spinning on a forward inside edge!

Hugs!
Danielle

ps) I have no business posting in a thread that has both spin and center without "danielle doesn't know how to" in front of it ;-)

Justine_R
12-07-2003, 04:08 PM
Hahahaha dani i think that is funny.
Some one spinning on a forward inside edge.Crazy!

luna_skater
12-07-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Justine_R
Hahahaha dani i think that is funny.
Some one spinning on a forward inside edge.Crazy!

Why? I've seen skaters do that as a spin variation.

Justine_R
12-07-2003, 04:29 PM
I have never, and when i imagine it, it sounds carzy!

dani
12-07-2003, 04:36 PM
What is crazier is when you see someone 3-turn in the middle of the spin! That is what happens to me sometimes (not on purpose and so bad for me) and when you look at the tracing, there is a distinct 3-turn.

Hugs!!
Danielle

Justine_R
12-07-2003, 04:38 PM
Yes,Sometimes i do this!!!
It looks like i've done a three turn then stopped and started a spin!
WEIRD!:D

icenut84
12-09-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Isk8NYC
DIDJAKNOW: One-foot spins are actually done on a single edge -- back inside for forward spins, forward outside for back spins. With practice, skaters can spin on the "opposite" edge. Takes sheer talent and bravery!

A backspin is on a back outside edge, not a forward outside edge.

Justine - When a skater (deliberately) changes to a FI edge during a backspin, it's usually in a camel spin. Sasha Cohen (and Fumie Suguri, IIRC) did it at 03 Worlds, so if you have it on video you can check. In Sasha's LP, her FI camel was the spin she fell on when she lost control of the edge.

mikawendy
12-09-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by icenut84
A backspin is on a back outside edge, not a forward outside edge.

Justine - When a skater (deliberately) changes to a FI edge during a backspin, it's usually in a camel spin. Sasha Cohen (and Fumie Suguri, IIRC) did it at 03 Worlds, so if you have it on video you can check. In Sasha's LP, her FI camel was the spin she fell on when she lost control of the edge.

Yes, and I think (not sure) that in the new judging system, when a skater switches to a FO edge during a forward camel spin, the spin receives a higher grade of execution. It's very pretty to see. Once I start learning camel spins, I want to do this... (operative word here being "once," since I'm nowhere near working on this right now!)