View Full Version : Adult skater battles cancer

sk8er1964
12-02-2003, 09:30 PM
I don't really know the rules about stuff like this, but I heard on a closed (membership only) site that one of our US national and championship Adult Gold Ladies competitors is battling breast cancer. She has been through surgery, and is in recovery now.

There is a drive to raise funds to send her to Lake Placid (next year's AN) as a spectator, as well as to send her get well/Christmas cards to raise her spirits. They are going to send her a package by Dec 22nd. I can assume it is legit because the Adult Chair has apparently sent out emails about the situation. (I guess I can verify that later if necessary.)

I don't want to name names here, because I am uncomfortable with giving out real names on the Internet. However, if you are interested, please PM me. I have an address for the fund raiser - maybe we've found this year's Justine's Angels project???

dani
12-03-2003, 07:54 AM
This would qualify for me for the angel project, I do believe!! I am sad to hear the story though. :-( Breast cancer has claimed a couple of people close to me, including, believe it or not my grandFATHER!

candace
12-03-2003, 08:33 AM
I think that would be great for our angel project, I think that everyone would go for it. I wish her all the best.

garyc254
12-03-2003, 09:13 AM
An ANGEL project it is.

sk8ter1964 you've handled this very discreetly as it should be. Well done. :D

We'd better move quickly on this because of the time deadline.

It's an individual effort. Count me in.

It will probably be the only Christmas card I buy this year. :oops: :lol:

MissIndigo
12-03-2003, 09:34 AM
I PM'ed you. This really hits close to me too, as I have devoted a significant amount of time in my academic career to breast cancer research. I would love to offer my support and encouragement.

flo
12-03-2003, 09:34 AM
Hi,
Count me in. Also, I plan to go to AN, so let me know if there's anything I could do then.

garyc254
12-03-2003, 10:06 AM
This project will have to be on an individual basis since time is short.

sk8ter1964 has all of the details and will PM them to you if you PM her.

I suggest everyone sign their cards:

your name
your skating club or rink
skatingforum.com

example:
Gary ****
Mississippi Valley FSC
skatingforum.com

garyc254
12-03-2003, 10:07 AM
sk8ter1964, you're going to be a busy Angel answering all of the PM's.

Thanks!!!! :D :D :D

Black Sheep
12-03-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by garyc254
sk8ter1964, you're going to be a busy Angel answering all of the PM's.

But don't forget to count me in. Me! ME! Pick me, please! 8-)

manleywoman
12-03-2003, 12:45 PM
I heard about her through word-of-moouth already...glad we're doing somethng as a group.

Count me in! Just let me know what to do and I'll do it. Thanks.

garyc254
12-03-2003, 12:52 PM
Shhhhhh. Don't ever tell anybody that you saw me in a greeting card shop on my lunch hour.

My card (and check) is in the mail.

sk8er1964
12-03-2003, 03:09 PM
I have sent an email to the adult chair to verify the information that I have. I'll let you all know as soon as I receive an email back from her, and will PM those of you who have PM'd me with the info.

sk8er1964
12-03-2003, 04:08 PM
OK, folks. I got verification on the information and address, and what I have is correct. I will PM you all later tonight from home.

I think Gary's idea is the best & most feasible way to do this - that we send the cards with our name, FSC, and skatingforums.com in the signature directly to the address that I'll provide. I thought about collecting them and sending them in one big envelope, but I don't really have a whole lot of spare time and there is the deadline get them to the right place.

garyc254
12-04-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by sk8er1964
OK, folks. I got verification on the information and address, and what I have is correct. I will PM you all later tonight from home.

C-O-O-L !!! 8-)

Playing Santa is fun. :D