View Full Version : Cheap but Cute Skating Dresses

alexeiluvr
12-01-2003, 11:08 AM
Where can I get skating dresses for a good price that still look good? I've tried SkateWear4less.com, and their prices are great, but I can't seem to find any that I like.

rinsk
12-01-2003, 11:30 AM
Have you tried lovetoskate.com? It's mainly second-hand dresses, mainly from precision teams. The stuff I've gotten from them has all been good quality and in good condition (my experience with them is that they're also honest about anything wrong with the dresses: the one dress in my size they had in the style I wanted had a little problem with the seam so they reassured me that it was easily repaireable and gave me a discout).

AshBugg44
12-01-2003, 01:57 PM
http://www.dancefactoryoutlet.com

They used to be cheaper and NO shipping but the prices are still good!

dbny
12-01-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by AshBugg44
http://www.dancefactoryoutlet.com

They used to be cheaper and NO shipping but the prices are still good!

dancefactoryoutless = skatewear4less

They are the same place!

Give ebay a try, there are always lots of dresses there and some go for very little.

flippet
12-01-2003, 06:53 PM
Just had to mention that I just popped into dancefactoryoutlet, and they seem to be having a GREAT sale on skating fleece. If you need some (especially those great zippered pants), check it out! :)

mikawendy
12-01-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by flippet
Just had to mention that I just popped into dancefactoryoutlet, and they seem to be having a GREAT sale on skating fleece. If you need some (especially those great zippered pants), check it out! :)

One warning about the zippered fleece pants from there--the sizes tend to run small. It seems like they are cut to fit teenagers rather than adults. For instance, I am 5'2" tall and normally wear small or medium sportswear but have to buy a large in the zippered pants for them to fit me comfortably in the hips and thighs because I don't have toothpick legs. But they are nice and warm and the outlet staff are very friendly on the phone. I have a zippered fleece jacket from there that I love because it's very snug fitting.

AshBugg44
12-01-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by dbny
dancefactoryoutless = skatewear4less

They are the same place!

Give ebay a try, there are always lots of dresses there and some go for very little.

EBay is so hopeless. I can never find anything cute in my size. It's all ugly! lol

Justine_R
12-01-2003, 08:37 PM
EBay is so hopeless. I can never find anything cute in my size. It's all ugly! lol
Yah i know arnt they just ugly.

dbny
12-01-2003, 11:22 PM
AshBugg44 and Justine_R - It's really not very nice to trash someone else's suggestion. Just because you never found anything you liked on ebay does not mean that everyone else will feel the same way. I wonder how many times you have looked on ebay. I view all the "New Today" items in the skating category almost every day. There are lots of excellent brand names out there all the time.

AshBugg44
12-02-2003, 10:10 AM
I look almost everyday hun ;)

Justine_R
12-02-2003, 06:15 PM
AshBugg44 and Justine_R - It's really not very nice to trash someone else's suggestion. Just because you never found anything you liked on ebay does not mean that everyone else will feel the same way. I wonder how many times you have looked on ebay. I view all the "New Today" items in the skating category almost every day. There are lots of excellent brand names out there all the time.

Gosh sorry.............

DancinDiva
12-02-2003, 06:15 PM
Personally, I have found many nice dresses on ebay, all at very affordable prices. Sure, they are some hideous dresses up for bid, but there are also a lot of really good ones as well. I wear mine for practice all the time and get many compliments, and everyone askes where I get the dresses.

AshBugg44
12-02-2003, 10:40 PM
Yeah I've found some great ones too, just never in my size! ;)

dbny
12-02-2003, 11:19 PM
I look almost everyday hun ;)

I'm not "hun" to you AshBugg44, if you don't mind. Sorry you haven't found anything you like in your size on ebay. Most do seem to be either children's sizes or AXS. Another place is GK Down East Outlet (http://members.tripod.com/DownEast_GKOutlet/). You have to find the style and size of GK dress elsewhere, then call or email them to find out if they have it and the price.

montanarose
12-02-2003, 11:20 PM
Dittos to dbny re: giving eBay a try. I have had great luck there: a total of four brand new (with tags) Avenues skating dresses, just gorgeous and for less than half of their retail value. Plus a couple of "gently worn" GK Elite velvet dresses for even less.

Granted, you do have to wade through a lot of dross to get to the mother lode, but it's worth it when you find it!

AshBugg44
12-02-2003, 11:21 PM
That outlet place sounds cool, I'll have to check it out!

FSWer
12-02-2003, 11:50 PM
I just went to look at it,and lovetoskate.com is tept. off.

rinsk
12-03-2003, 12:03 PM
"I just went to look at it,and lovetoskate.com is tept. off."

Yeah, that happens sometimes: either they're updating stock or having trouble with their server or something. Try later.

Skatewind
12-03-2003, 12:24 PM
River's Edge Dancewear is a good source. Also the GK sales dresses once they're discounted are well made & usually reasonably priced.

dbny
12-03-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Skatewind
River's Edge Dancewear is a good source.

I bought from River's Edge before and had no problem, but I recall a thread here in which several people said they had various problems. The only one I remember specifically was a very long wait for delivery. Their closet specials can be really great.

skaternum
12-03-2003, 12:49 PM
I'm one of the people who had problems with Rivers Edge. I ordered some bal-togs skating dresses with a few custom features, like adding 2" to the skirt all the way around on one and a longer sleeve on the other. This shouldn't be a big deal, because they specialize in custom orders, and every bal-togs dress is a custom order. After a really long wait, I received them, but both were wrong. I called & sent them back. After another really long wait, they came back still wrong. Another bunch of calls transpired. There were so many individual problems with the whole scenario, including poor communication on their part (phone often unanswered there, they wanted me to talk directly to Bal-Togs, etc.), poor service (they didn't want to reimburse me for the postage every time I had to send something back), and obviously poor quality control.

I've avoided them like the plague ever since.

blue111moon
12-03-2003, 01:29 PM
The hot, current styles sell out before they hit the sale racks and internet outlets. The left-overs are the ones that get discounted. It's possible to find cheap dresses in just about every size (if I can find them, anyone can!) but "cute" is in the eye of the beholder. As is "ugly." Personally I find a lot of the "hot" new styles to be very ugly, but that's just an old lady's taste.

Justine_R
12-03-2003, 02:25 PM
I personally just like going to a store and buying them.
Easier and less hassle.

rinsk
12-03-2003, 08:48 PM
I agree with JustineR as long as the store is easy to get to and they carry a good selection in my size (I like trying things on because even if it looks really nice on the rack, it won't look so great on me and usually the dress I like best on me would not necessarily have originally been my first choice). The last place I tried didn't have anything larger than a kids's size 12 (yeah, won't fit).

alexeiluvr
12-04-2003, 10:11 PM
I have no stores in my area, but thanks for the suggestion.

jp1andOnly
12-04-2003, 10:46 PM
A lot of skaters from Seattle come up to Vancouver BC to hit cyclone taylor sports. With the cheap exchange rate it might be worth coming across the border. I believe they have a website.

SDFanatic
12-05-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by rinsk
Have you tried lovetoskate.com? It's mainly second-hand dresses, mainly from precision teams. The stuff I've gotten from them has all been good quality and in good condition (my experience with them is that they're also honest about anything wrong with the dresses: the one dress in my size they had in the style I wanted had a little problem with the seam so they reassured me that it was easily repaireable and gave me a discout).

I second Lovetoskate, I have many of their outfits, and they are reasonably priced and they are willing to doublecheck measurements and such. They'll even try to find someone your size to try it on for fit, something I had done given my long girth.

Steven

Justine_R
12-06-2003, 07:29 PM
Hey,
Dont any of you ladies wear pants to skate ??
I always do , i think the dresses are so girly.

DancinDiva
12-06-2003, 07:47 PM
Seeing as I am a girl, I don't really mind looking "girly." Plus, I grew up in ballet classes and we always wore leotards, tights, and a skirt, so it feels more normal and comfortable for me to wear dresses.

dbny
12-06-2003, 08:37 PM
I always wear leggings, but would love to wear dresses and skirts, if only I could lose about 20 pounds! Growing up roller skating, we girls always wore skirts or dresses. I lived in Texas, and most rinks did not have air conditioning, just big fans on the back wall, so wearing dresses was a plus. Roller skaters don't wear tights, but skate bare legged, at least we did, don't know about now, but don't know why it should have changed. Falling on a wooden floor would really rip up the tights fast. You'd be better off with the floor burns.

skatepixie
12-06-2003, 08:49 PM
I feel like I look worse in pants. i really hate wearing them for anything. I dinno why...I just dont like um.

AshBugg44
12-06-2003, 08:49 PM
OUCH! I would rather spend money on tights. I despirse floor burns! ;)

Justine_R
12-06-2003, 09:07 PM
Still,im a pants girl...luv em'.....I only wear skirts when my coach insists or i have a test or something.
Im a tomboy.

AshBugg44
12-06-2003, 10:45 PM
Looks like http://lovetoskate.com is back up. Looks like i'll be checking that out!

dbny
12-06-2003, 11:34 PM
Looks like http://lovetoskate.com is back up. Looks like i'll be checking that out!

Taste is a funny thing. The dresses on LoveToSkate.com have never appealed to me or my daughter, but since quite a few of you here like them, I guess I'll take another look. They do have a huge selection.

SDFanatic
12-07-2003, 12:49 AM
Pants are ok, I find them to be a bit hot at times, I only have one pair of pants and leggings however. So most times I'm in tights and a kilt, and I hear ya about roller skating, a much warmer sport then ice skating!

Yes to some of the outfits on lovetoskate, every now and then however they have some neat ones, and some are easily changed to make into something else.

Steven

dorvalskater1
12-07-2003, 07:38 AM
For many years at my club, only Seniors were allowed to wear pants/leggings and not skirts. All of us had to wear skirts/dresses. Now though they don't seem to hold to that rule, but most people still wear dresses/skirts.

AshBugg44
12-07-2003, 04:02 PM
Taste is a funny thing. The dresses on LoveToSkate.com have never appealed to me or my daughter, but since quite a few of you here like them, I guess I'll take another look. They do have a huge selection.

Yeah I didn't find anything that I was crazy about either. ;)

Justine_R
12-07-2003, 04:06 PM
Ive checked it out. Not much that appeals to me.

skaternum
12-07-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Justine_R
Hey,
Dont any of you ladies wear pants to skate ??
I always do , i think the dresses are so girly.

Some us us females don't mind looking girly. Some of us have grown up enough to be comfortable with our femininity.

edited to clean up the weird spacing

Justine_R
12-07-2003, 07:06 PM
Ok,
Ive come to see that im not feminine at all really.
I wear alot of boys clothes.

sk8er1964
12-07-2003, 10:02 PM
I always wear leggings, but would love to wear dresses and skirts, if only I could lose about 20 pounds!

I think I look like a pregnant elephant in leggings (I'm carrying about 20 lbs more over than you). I think (hope???) that the skirt looks better on me than the leggings.

If nothing else, the skirt allows my coach to see my knees ---- wait a minute. Maybe I should switch to baggy pants :lol: !

jazzpants
12-08-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by skaternum
Some us us females don't mind looking girly. Som eo fus have grown up enough to be comfortable with our femininity. Some of you are comfortable with dresses. For me anyway...

SCREW THE DRESS!!! Guess what *I* wear to skate? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (Of course, skaternum should have already gotten pictures of me in my competition skating dress by now...) ;) :twisted: (And boy do I need to go on a diet...) :cry:

Andie
12-11-2003, 11:23 PM
I can never really figure out Ebay and don't really trust ordering (or selling) stuff on there. But that's me.
As for the girly thing - I like wearing a dress or skirt skating, but sometimes I wear pants or leggings. Depends on my mood and how cold it is. Right now I have a plain black long-sleeve dress and plain black skirt.

Candleonwater
12-26-2003, 11:55 AM
Anyone here know how to reach Trudi (in Georgia)? We're looking for her to make some dresses...

SDFanatic
12-26-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Candleonwater
Anyone here know how to reach Trudi (in Georgia)? We're looking for her to make some dresses...

This is what I have, Trudi Skate 815-588-4517 trudisk8@aol.com

Steven

Mrs Redboots
12-29-2003, 08:43 AM
I've just bought a most peculiar skirt in the sales - down to £9.00 from £22.00, so well worth it - which will be perfect for ice dance club, where we are supposed to wear skirts. Flared and stripy, and a swirly hem, on an elasticated waist. As my mother said, who on earth would want to wear a skirt like that except on the ice???

Actually, for ice dancers, a lot of the fashionable party wear, most of which will now be in the sales, I dare say, is based on ballroom dancing dresses, and is eminently suitable for ice dancing, too.

angelskates
04-09-2004, 06:08 AM
Does anyone know what has happened to the Carrie Jones website? (www.figureskatingdress.com) I am looking to get a dress made, but the site can't be found!

dbny
04-09-2004, 08:58 AM
Does anyone know what has happened to the Carrie Jones website? (www.figureskatingdress.com (http://www.figureskatingdress.com/)) I am looking to get a dress made, but the site can't be found!
The site must have been temporarily down, as it is there now.