View Full Version : Paging dbny Re: Joining PSA

montanarose
11-28-2003, 11:42 AM
In a recent post in the "Let's shock the newbies . . ." thread, you mentioned joining the PSA and qualifying for a professional discount. Could you give me a little more info about this? From reading your posts here as well as on rssir, I gleaned the impression that you were a recreational adult figure skater (as opposed to a coach, judge, etc.). I didn't know folks like us could join PSA. As a rec skater, what do you see as the benefits of joining PSA (quite apart from the professional discount, of course :lol: ).

TIA,
Ellen

dbny
11-28-2003, 01:20 PM
I am an adult onset (very late) figure skater, but was a gold roller dancer as a kid. I have solid technical understanding both from my roller background and from my own and daughter's lessons. I teach basic skills and tots in both group and private lessons. I am competent to teach most moves through Juvenile, but don't feel comfortable teaching things I can't demo and have never done on ice. I also helped launch a new skating school, was assistant director there, and wrote a Windows program to manage the school. I would not feel right joining the PSA just for the pro discount. My main reason for joining is that I am moving to an area where I will know no one professionally and will feel more confidant with credentials. I'm also making a career change from computer programmer to anything-in-the-ice-arena-industry, and have certificates from ISI in Ice Arena Management (CAM), and Ice Arena Operations (CAO). You can check out the PSA membership requirements and benefits here: PSA (http://www.skatepsa.com/)

montanarose
11-28-2003, 11:15 PM
Oh, I certainly agree that one should never consider joining PSA just for the professional discount (in fact, until I read your post I never knew there was such a thing) -- and I never meant to imply this. I was wondering more about potential educational opportunities that might be made available to members: the workshops/seminars, the members-only publication(s), etc.

dbny
11-29-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by montanarose
I was wondering more about potential educational opportunities that might be made available to members: the workshops/seminars, the members-only publication(s), etc.

While the PSA requires a certain number of education hours per year to maintain a rating (gained via exam), most of what they offer, if not all, is costly. The ISI, OTOH, offers free coaching seminars that count towards the PSA requirement.