View Full Version : back scratch versus forward scratch

mikawendy
11-28-2003, 10:20 AM
For those of you spinners out there (and those of you who _have_ a backspin, verus my hypothetical one ;) )

Do you find it easier to do a really fast back scratch or a really fast forward scratch?

I've been watching a lot of skating on TV lately, and I think I've been seeing more skaters do back scratch than forward scratch. I even recall hearing Dick Button say that skaters rarely do a forward scratch spin these days. I think he was talking about the elite skaters that we see on TV, but still, that surprised me--I find it much easier to do a forward scratch than *any* kind of backspin.

Is it that kids who learn to skate when they're young are more able to do really good backspins and tend to do back scratch more than forward scratch?

skaternum
11-28-2003, 12:49 PM
In my experience, a forward scratch is easier to learn than a back scratch. But once you've learned it, it's easier to spin fast with a back scratch. YMMV.

jazzpants
11-28-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by mikawendy
Is it that kids who learn to skate when they're young are more able to do really good backspins and tend to do back scratch more than forward scratch? I do have another guess on the reasons why kids do back scratch spins - jump rotation position! According to the Lussi tape, when you're rotating in the air, it should look like a back scratch spin in the air.

Of course, that's just my guess. ;)

Terri C
11-28-2003, 05:55 PM
It was much easier for me to learn the backscratch,whereas I did everything but kill myself to learn the forward scratch.
At one point I would work on the backscratch solely for the purpose of getting the leg postion for the loop.

sk8er1964
11-28-2003, 06:33 PM
I think that the backspin becomes much easier when you start working on multi-rotational jumps. Especially since they are part of the exercises that most coaches give to their students prior and during the learning process for those jumps. It is also pretty easy to center.

The forward scratch is not a particularly hard spin if you are not concerned about centering :roll: . (Can you tell centering is an issue with me on that spin? :P )

dorvalskater1
11-28-2003, 06:38 PM
Back sipn for me was much easier and still is...also much faster. Plus all jumps in the air are in the back scratch position! So it is a very important one to learn and learn well.

jazzpants
11-28-2003, 06:44 PM
I like forward scratch better! I *HATE* backspins!!! They are EVIL...EVIL, I tell 'ya!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: (I still can't get it right after 3 years of working on it, though once in a blue moon, my primary coach FINALLY says I'm starting to get it! GRRRRR!!!) :x

sk8er1964: I still occasionally "forget my suitcase"...if you catch my drift.. ;) :lol: *sigh* :roll:

Aussie Willy
11-28-2003, 09:49 PM
I agree with the theory that back scratch helps jumps, but then look at Lucinda Ruh - great spinner but really has trouble with jumps.

I can do a proper back scratch but never as fast as my forward scratch. However if I do it from a change foot spin I can get a lot more speed on the back scratch. And that might be where those skaters get their speed from. You do get more momentum from the change.

skaternum
11-29-2003, 09:57 AM
Also, I think there's a difference between skates who learn as adults vs. those who learn as kids. In my experience, adults seem to have more problems with the backspin. I have no idea why.

dbny
11-29-2003, 11:27 AM
Even kids find the backspin challenging. I once saw a 12 year old take a straight down fall on a backspin in her Preliminary FS test and leave the ice at that point. Unfortunately, she could not be coaxed back on to finish the test. I think what is so scary about the backspin is the potential for that particular fall.

dorvalskater1
11-29-2003, 11:29 AM
I don't know about that as a theory, I learnt as an adult and my back spin is 100 times better than my forward spin...I just prefer that rotation better. I have always found it easier.

skaternum
11-29-2003, 04:05 PM
That's why I said "in my experience." It's purely anecdotal.

96.23??
11-29-2003, 04:43 PM
I first learned the foward scratch spin because usually they teach you a fwd. scratch in "can-skate" but never a back scratch. I didn't learn a back scratch spin until I was in preliminary.

I had a lot of trouble getting the feeling of being on the outside edge, and I would spin a lot on the back inside edge because it felt more comfortable. But once I got the feeling (a year later :)) it stuck with me and I never couldn't do it again.

jazzpants
11-29-2003, 06:54 PM
Yeap! Backspins. You either love it or hate it! (Me? I HATE IT!!!) :P (But of course, YMMV...)

Isk8NYC
11-30-2003, 09:25 AM
If I center my forward scratch, it is much faster and more controlled than my back scratch spin. It is also easier to exit with a RBO glide.

However, I have a very good Back scratch spin, which I usually center on a regular basis. I can spin fast, but not as fast as my forward. The exit is what kill me -- if someone's watching, I usually cheat and end it in a standstill. The left leg pull to get out just kind of hangs out there with no real power.

Both of them make me dizzy. Not that I need the help! LOL!

Raine
11-30-2003, 11:51 AM
Wow, I find the forward scratch spin infinitely easier than a backspin. My backspin is really a forward inside spin. I've determined that it's physically impossible for me to press down on the toe on a back outside edge. :x It's been suggested that I might need orthotics to do a real back spin.

Happy skating,
Raine

sk8er1964
11-30-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by jazzpants
sk8er1964: I still occasionally "forget my suitcase"...if you catch my drift.. ;) :lol: *sigh* :roll:

:lol: :lol: I think one of mine went all the way to London from Detroit the other day, and without an airplane too! :roll: .

96.23??
11-30-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Raine
[B :x It's been suggested that I might need orthotics to do a real back spin.
[/B]

That's what they told me aswell, but I managed without. But I am using orthotics in my shoes now.

mousey
11-30-2003, 08:08 PM
when i first learned how to spin, a forwards scratch was easier. now that ive progressed, a back scratch is easier. its probably cause i practice it more cause it helps with the air position of jumps.

SugarCoated
11-30-2003, 08:48 PM
foward scratch spins (although mine arent pretty... lol) are so much easier to me then backward. I can barely get 1 rotation on the back scratch spin. Although this could be because I don't do many full jumps yet?

melanieuk
12-01-2003, 05:31 AM
I'm with Jazzpants on this one...backspins are really hard to learn - as an adult, and forward spins are the only kind for me, unfortunately. :roll:

flo
12-01-2003, 09:26 AM
I don't think I've had a forward scratch spin in any of my programs, but I have put in back spins. They are more suitable to choreography.

kayskate
12-01-2003, 07:01 PM
I learned a forward scratch fairly early in my adult skating experience. I back scratch was nver as good. Although I can do a decent back spin, I have never blurred one. I doubt I ever will. My best back spins come out of a back camel. I get a lot of speed through the transition.

Kay