View Full Version : Help - I need to buy new recreational figure skates

JessicaLynn
11-25-2003, 04:46 PM
Hi, I am in need of a new pair of figure skates for recreational skating. I don't have a lot of money and found a pair that *looked* really nice for $50.00 at Dunhams. However, I don't know how good they are, especially the blade. The boot was pretty stiff.

Can anyone tell me some dos/don'ts or what to look for? I spoke to the man who runs the sports shop at the ice rink today and he recommended Riedells that come with a blade attached. He said they are great for recreational and they cost around $110.

While $110 isn't all that much, it is more than I wanted to spend. But if they are truly worth it, I would consider making the investment. To me they looked like the skates at Dunhams, except they had a brown heel instead of black. (I completely don't remember the brand of the skates at Dunhams, sorry.)

I want to know what makes a decent figure skate. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

flippet
11-25-2003, 04:55 PM
How often do you plan to use these skates, and where? If you're just going to be skating very occasionally at a rink, I would actually recommend using the rentals, if they're leather. They're likely to be of better quality than sports store skates, unless they're terribly old or broken down.

If you're doing pond skating, well, I suppose rentals wouldn't work!

If you're planning to skate on any kind of regular basis, or take lessons, I'd recommend the Riedells because the quality of your equipment will make or break the experience.

However, I've seen the skates at Dunhams (at least in my little corner of Michigan), and the higher-end ones that they carry are probably all right for occasional use, or for one or two sessions of basic-level lessons. (After that, you'd likely have to replace them anyway, so you're better off buying better quality from the start.)

Part of what makes a boot good, aside from proper stiffness for your weight and skating level, is a snug, proper fit, which you won't get from a sports store skate. Skates that don't fit precisely tend to break down sooner, and make skating a less-than-pleasant experience.

Justine_R
11-25-2003, 06:44 PM
Like Flippet said,If you are only going to use them for recreational purposes,say like-

pond skating

public skates.

Then yes,the "Dunhams"would probably be good,but not as good quality as the Ridells.
Ridells are made for "Figure skaters".
But if you are willing to go all out on a pair of Ridells just for pond/public skatng,then i suggest the recreational ones.

They may not be as good quality ,but still you have payed the extra money for the Ridells in which say at the end of the winter will need new blades because they are damaged.

Think about what is right for you.

dbny
11-25-2003, 06:46 PM
All Riedells are not equal. If you are tempted to pay $110 for them, make sure they have leather soles and heels, which will look brown, but so do the plastic ones. The blades should be attached to the soles with screws, not rivets. The cheaper Riedells with plastic soles/heels and riveted blades should not cost over $50.

JessicaLynn
11-25-2003, 07:36 PM
Thanks for all of your recommendations.

To clarify my situation, I plan to use these skates twice a week in an ice rink for 2 hour public sessions. What I am *trying* to do is teach myself basic figure skating moves. (Edges, spins, maybe a single jump). I also love skating just for the exercise. The sessions I go to are called "adult skate" and the most people that show up are 15. So there is plenty of room to try things. Eventually I might take lessons, just right now the times offered do not work with my college schedule.

I currently have a pair of 3 year old CCMs and the blades are horrible. That is why I want new ones. Plus, the skates are uncomfortable.

Anyway, thanks again :)

Edited to add: These are the Riedells the guy at the pro shop was talking about. http://skate-buys.com/ri121blrilaf.html

Justine_R
11-25-2003, 07:51 PM
I suggest the Ridells.

yuffie
11-25-2003, 08:56 PM
I'd go with Reidell's, and I'd get the upgraded blade too. When it comes to skating decent equipment is very important.

I understand not wanting to spend extra money, but you wouldn't wear inferior shoes for other sports, and so should get the best you can afford. It will save you money in the long run and make learning much easier.

Yuffie's Mom

sk8er1964
11-25-2003, 08:58 PM
If you are serious about learning to skate, IMO, you need a decent pair of skates. You will spend a lot of time in those skates, and if they are of poor quality, or hurt your feet, you will not want to wear them - leading to frustration and most likely, quitting. That would be a bummer.

I assume from one of your posts that you are at a university. If you want, please PM me and I might be able to give you some good skate shop suggestions (I'm in Michigan too). Reidells are a good skate, with excellent starting models, but there are also other options that might fit your foot better. Not all brands of skates fit well on all types of feet.

Most of all, if your fitter tries to push a pair of skates on you that do not feel right from the start, get another fitter.

plinko
11-26-2003, 01:22 PM
I saw your other post about learning to spin. I would suggest that you get the more expensive skates because they will have better blades and the spins will come easier, and then be obsessed with the proper sharpenings like the rest of us.

backspin
11-26-2003, 01:55 PM
Jacksons also make a very good beginner level skate & fit a wider foot than Reidells (which are notoriously narrow). Make sure you get fitted properly.

I, too, would recommend the highest quality you can possibly afford. It will make your experience much more enjoyable, & the better skates will last you longer anyway, thus giving you back your investment in time.

(My first pair of skates cost me $50.00 from Play it Again Sports. They lasted exactly one month!) ;)

flippet
12-01-2003, 04:15 PM
Ah, I'm finally back online to check this thread out.

JessicaLynn, where in Michigan are you? There's a lot of Michigan skaters on this board, and you may very well run into one of us at a rink somewhere!

If you're just starting out and not 100% certain that you're going to stick with skating for the long haul (or at least sessions of lessons), then I'd still use rentals for a little bit. If you are very certain you'll be skating for a while, get fitted for good skates of one brand or another (Riedell, Jackson, whatever fits your foot best).

You say you're skating at an adult skate? That in itself is just great--adults tend to be more than helpful, especially with other adult newbies. Hey, we love and became addicted to this sport, we like to share the love. :D I'd say, go to the sessions a time or two, use the rentals, find a couple of skaters that seem friendly and knowledgeable (and look like they're using good equipment that they know how to use), and ask lots and lots of questions, both about skating techinique, and about where and what kind of equipment to buy. You'll make a few new friends, and get loads of good information. To round it all out, I would definitely recommend taking some lessons--even the 'best' adult skaters have their own quirks with technique, and you may be introduced to some 'bad' habits that some time with a good coach could help you avoid.

Have fun! :D

JessicaLynn
12-02-2003, 08:09 AM
Thanks, flippet. I am in the metro Detroit area, and the rink I skate at is St Clair Shores. Fraser is also close to me as well.

Thanks for the advice. There are a lot of skaters that seem to know what they are doing at the adult skate! Perhaps I will strike up a conversations... :)