View Full Version : My double loops are killing me!

sk8ergirl
11-24-2003, 08:48 PM
Does anyone have any advice what I might be doing wrong with my double loops. Although I can fully rotate this jump, I often fall real hard, always on or near my tailbone. Its got to the point, I just dread doing this jump, occasionally I land it, but more often than not, I really smack myself and I always seem to fall on the same spot, and then I am real tentative about going out and doing it again, since I dont want to keep falling on the same spot. My coach just keeps saying that when it happens I am not fully over my toe, but I am not sure its that simple. If anyone has any suggestions for me to try, it would be appreciated!

love2sk8
11-24-2003, 08:54 PM
Well if your falling on your tailbone, your probably pitching your weight too far back when you lift up into the air. Try and keep your weight centred slightly in front of you, so that when you jump up, you can feel yourself rise up off the toe pick, and not slide off the blade and end up far back. Also, try to keep your arms in check at all times, and then draw them into your body as you go up. your free leg should do the exact same thing as your arm, and wen you come out to land, think about checking them in the same spot as when you took off. I hope this helps!!!

mousey
11-24-2003, 11:42 PM
also, maybe try to change your entry to the jump. i do 2 xcuts, a mowhawk, and then check my arms and jump! also, makesure that you arent swinging your arms! i found out the hard way... scary falls! and try to make it that your feet spin first, sorta like your arms follow after your feet start spinning... that sounds kinda confusing to me even lol. anyways hope this helps!

Justine_R
11-25-2003, 06:47 AM
Maybe dont go so fast in to the jump.
Time and a neat spiraling edge is the key to this jump so take your time.

sk8er1964
11-25-2003, 08:35 AM
It's hard to tell without seeing you jump, of course, but check to see if you are going first with the left arm on your takeoff (ie, swinging). That would make your weight go over your left side, and you would have to try to get your weight back over your right before landing - a hard thing to do 8O.

96.23??
11-25-2003, 04:07 PM
My coach gave me a little weird double loop take off but it helps a lot!

Start doing a backspin , when you are centered and usually ready to pull in your arms and leg jump up into a double and land spinning again, it works so well, it gives you that bit of a flick you need to get up. Also make sure you jump off of your toe pick and then point your toe in the air, if your toe is pointed in the air you will land on your toe pick.

Also going slower isn't always the best idea, when you skate faster into a jump and fall ,you slide, when you skate slow and fall you go just fall straight down.

triple twist
11-25-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by love2sk8
Try and keep your weight centred slightly in front of you, so that when you jump up, you can feel yourself rise up off the toe pick, and not slide off the blade and end up far back. Also, try to keep your arms in check at all times, and then draw them into your body as you go up. your free leg should do the exact same thing as your arm, and wen you come out to land,

That's about the best advice yet. I'm like you, I'm not much of a girl to love the double loops, I like toe jumps better myself but one thing I found when I first started doing double loops is that (besides falling HARD) I was rotating my upper body before my lower body. If you go slow and practise this until you're whole body is rotating at the same time, you'll become used to it and when you start going into the jump with more speed, it will feel simpler and you will look great!

sk8ergirl
11-25-2003, 08:38 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice, re the double toe! I will give all your suggestions a try, and will let you know how I make out. Thanks again!

vesperholly
11-25-2003, 09:02 PM
My coach gave me a good but seemingly contradictory piece of advice. When you take off for a double loop (or any loop), your arms should go DOWN after you check, and then draw into your chest. If you have enough height and rotation, this should help to stop the swinging and getting your shoulders off kilter with your hips (the kiss of death in a loop).

sk8er1964
11-25-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by vesperholly
My coach gave me a good but seemingly contradictory piece of advice. When you take off for a double loop (or any loop), your arms should go DOWN after you check, and then draw into your chest. If you have enough height and rotation, this should help to stop the swinging and getting your shoulders off kilter with your hips (the kiss of death in a loop).

My coach said the same thing. After you get it past your mind, it does work.

jamie_rae352
11-26-2003, 04:30 PM
The first time I tried a double loop, I fell flat on my butt. My coach put me on the club's harness and made me try a double loop while gliding really slow. Usually you can tell where your lean is by what happens to you on the harness (My hair gets hit all the time, even in a bun). That helped my double loop a lot, because my coach and I experimented with different entries, now I can do it off the harness. I hope i was at least a tiny bit of help to you...