View Full Version : Questions and need help for interpretive program (aka artistic program)

Caro
11-21-2003, 07:37 PM
Hi everyone,

I have questions about Skate Canada's Interpretive programs.

First, what is meant by theme? Can someone explain this to me? I've seen people skate to Michael Jackson music, with no obvious theme. I've seen people skate to music from Chicago and I thought their theme was "Cabaret dancer". Can someone explain this?

Second, does anyone have any themes to suggest to me??? My coach and I have been trying to think of some themes that could be represented on the ice, but we definately do not want to touch the usual (in other words: Romeo and Juliet and Carmen heheh). And if you do have a theme idea, do you have suggestions for great music to go with it???

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

rinsk
11-22-2003, 02:02 PM
Please, Caro, I beg you: anything but Carmen...

Okay: theme. (I haven't seen any artistic tests since they changed to interpretive tests so take whatever I say with a grain of salt and I'd encourage other people to add to what I say). Theme used to be much more a story that you tell with your program. People would get in trouble with some of the more done themes because the passing standard could get pretty tough: if you're a judge and you've seen 17 Carmen programs in the last week, it might be a little easier for you to pick out weaker Carmen programs because you're bored with it. People would also get in trouble with theme because of the titles they submit (I believe you're allowed 50 characters). Some titles would go too much in depth into a story that the skating doesn't really put across.

With the new system, apparently, theme is more supposed to be a mood or an emotion that you're putting across in your skating program. I've heard debates about whether or not story themes are still doing well in tests. I haven't seen any artistic tests lately to give you an idea of what's passing in my area (I'm in the Montreal area). How it used to work was story themes would pass a lot easier and mood/emotion themes could pass, BUT, your quality of skating had to be higher. Another thing to consider is that it seems to me that judges in different parts of the country have different things that they are looking for in an artistic/interpretive.

Things to think of for picking a theme: What type of skater are you? You want a program that makes your skating look good. Do you want to do something with a lot of acting in it? If you do, what type of acting would you be more comfortable with: comedy? something dramatic?

You're allowed vocals now. I know a lot of people are trying to avoid them because your program can get marked down if you're acting out the words rather thasn the theme. Also beware of relying too much on vocals of a program because you can end up competing or testing somewhere where the sdound system's bad and you can't hear the words (I saw a showcase competition like that last week and it really ruined a lot of the skaters' programs). And, if you're from Quebec like me, it's hard to know which language to choose to use for vocals. Only artistic program I used vocals for was my gold and they were in Italien.

Caro
11-22-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by rinsk
(I'm in the Montreal area)

Me too!

How it used to work was story themes would pass a lot easier and mood/emotion themes could pass, BUT, your quality of skating had to be higher.

I heard that story themes are being discouraged. Rather, instead of doing for example: "Romeo and Juliet", it is better doing "The Death of Juliet". But then, in a way, am I not forced to take a story that the judges already know?

Only artistic program I used vocals for was my gold and they were in Italien.

Can I ask you what your themes were?

Things to think of for picking a theme: What type of skater are you? You want a program that makes your skating look good. Do you want to do something with a lot of acting in it? If you do, what type of acting would you be more comfortable with: comedy? something dramatic?

I'm pretty open to anything new. I'm more of a lyrical skater I think, but I'd like to really try something different. Right now, my freestyle program is to a spanish flamenco air and is rather dramatic. I think I'd like to try something a bit more lighthearted. But not necessarily comedy, I don't know if I'm ready for that. When I think comedy on ice, I think Kurt Browning or even Josee Chouinard. THEY could pull it off, but not every skater. I don't think it would fit me, heheh. I think I'd look like a bad comedy act on ice. I could skate to a "cute-happy" theme though, I think...

:oops: Any ideas anyone? :oops:

LynRose
11-22-2003, 09:24 PM
A little off topic....but

What is your feeling on slow songs verus fast songs. I have seen numberous interpetives with slow ballads. Most seem to pass except at the gold level.

Any thoughts???

rinsk
11-25-2003, 08:44 PM
If you use the title of a story in the theme, I think you'd want something the judges would recognize as a theme. If you are able to give the basic gist of the story in the theme, I don't think it's necessary. Instead of "Juliet mourns for Romeo", you could do "Young girl loses love".

Themes I used:

Bronze: I did "Lady MacBeth" (it was originally a creative project for a high school English class). It was a pretty cool program: The first part was sort of a Pride/Power Hungry theme (I used music from The Mission soundtrack), then it transitioned into a more wild and frantic part (Night on Bald Mountain: I lose control and get carried away with my hunger for power), then I ended with a mad scene/sleepwalking scene (music from the Beetlejuice soundtrack).

Silver:
1st attempt: I think we called it "A Night on the Town"). I used music from Swing Kids and The Cotton Club. Failed miserably multiple times. I know quite a few people who had similar experience with similar styles of artistic programs. I'd suggest avoiding Swing Kids...

2nd attempt: it was oriental themed (I used "The Butterfly Lovers" and the "Last Emperor" soundtrack). I started off and ended asleep so we did it like a dream sequence. Very soft and flowy. We called it "Dreaming of a More Peaceful Time". Passed it on the first try.

Gold:
Skated to a pop version of "Adio Bel Passado" from La Traviata. I think we called it "La Traviata: Violetta's Death Bed Scene". It was very soft and flowy again and basically went more on emotion than on really developping a story. Did well in test and competition. I think it did okay as a soft flowy thing at the gold level because I've got very strong basic skating (someone with less power might have gotten in trouble there)...

If you're looking for cute and lighthearted themes, maybe something about being in love? Could be simple to put together and pretty effective...