View Full Version : Dresses

mousey
11-17-2003, 11:43 PM
where do you get your dresses from? the store? or do you get yours custom made?

Justine_R
11-18-2003, 06:52 AM
I buy mine at a store (Proper skating Store) most of the time.
But I dont think anyone really needs to get custom made dresses at this level do they?

NickiT
11-18-2003, 07:40 AM
So far I've bought Jerry's dresses from Topskate in the UK, and also from skate-mart and icewear off the internet.

Nicki

JDC1
11-18-2003, 08:07 AM
It doesn't matter what level you are some people are tough fits and need custom. :-) I know when I buy a dress I'm going to have to have it custom fitted anyway so I am definitely toying with a custom dress, just depends if I can find something I like on sale then pay another 40 bucks or so to have it customized. Right now I wear a leotard, sweater and pull up skirt and that's fine but I do eventually want a dress.

Justine_R
11-18-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by JDC1
It doesn't matter what level you are some people are tough fits and need custom. :-) I know when I buy a dress I'm going to have to have it custom fitted anyway so I am definitely toying with a custom dress, just depends if I can find something I like on sale then pay another 40 bucks or so to have it customized. Right now I wear a leotard, sweater and pull up skirt and that's fine but I do eventually want a dress.

Well ya but i am talking about really expensive ones.
Right now i usually wear pants:Dthey keep me cozy and warm:D

dorvalskater1
11-18-2003, 02:26 PM
I get online and in stores.

1lutz2klutz
11-18-2003, 02:39 PM
I've had very good luck with icewear.com.

Justine_R
11-18-2003, 02:40 PM
Do you know any good online stores?

sk8er1964
11-18-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Justine_R
Right now i usually wear pants:Dthey keep me cozy and warm:D

Many adults, especially those of us who compete at the national level, do wear fancy/expensive dresses to compete in. Not what you'd see on AP, for example, but I saw a lot of beautiful dresses at the last Adult Nationals.

Unfortunately, most dress manufacturers do not design off the rack dresses suitable for all adults. For example, an adult "large" for many dress manufacturers is the equivalent to an adult small in the real world.

I wear a skirt and turtle neck to practice in, and the skirt was off the rack. However, both of my competition dresses are custom made, as will be my next competition dress.

JDC1
11-18-2003, 04:43 PM
Right now i usually wear pants they keep me cozy and warm

If by expensive you mean $1,000.00 or more then no I won't go that route but I fully expect to pay between 100-200 dollars for a decent dress. Many skating dresses are based on the assumption that all skaters are small chested so even though I wear a 8 petite dress I can barely squeeze my upper half into an adult large so therein lies the need for adults to buy custom or have lots of alterations made. I skate in pants too but I like to skate in skirts sometimes, I think you can feel the speed more and when you take dance it's easier for your coach to see your hips and your knees.

96.23??
11-18-2003, 04:54 PM
I usually get mine costom made, they lady who does it for me does a wonderful job, I find that I like the dresses more if she does them since I get to pick out the fabric I like from one of her many sample books and she will design it to my likings.

dorvalskater1
11-18-2003, 05:39 PM
there is a second hand online store that I've had good luck with. wwwlovetoskate.com
all sizes and styles...just browse and see what they have. the prices are good.

Justine_R
11-18-2003, 06:42 PM
Thanks ,I will check it out!
You can never have too many dresses.

jenlyon60
11-18-2003, 06:49 PM
Ebay is a good source also.

mousey
11-18-2003, 07:29 PM
it sounds interesting buying dresses online, but i dont think im gonna try it. i havent had a store bought dress for ages (i get all my dresses through synchro, where it ends up being cheaper to get them custom made)

Justine_R
11-18-2003, 07:59 PM
I take syncro too but i have never heard of getting them cheaper.

jamie_rae352
11-19-2003, 03:44 PM
I design my dresses, then get them made for me. Hehe, Sasha Cohen does that, too.

Elsy2
11-19-2003, 04:09 PM
We have bought most dresses at competitions. Vendors are usually there selling all sorts of skating related apparel and other things.

Some dancewear stores will sell skating dresses too.

We like Capezio dresses, and so sometimes order from this place:

http://www.dancefactoryoutlet.com

who
11-19-2003, 05:23 PM
Wendesign Fashions (http://www.skatingdress.com/pages/2/index.htm)

a great source for fabulous quality and service.

dani
11-20-2003, 07:57 AM
I have had great luck with Skate Dress Warehouse (http://www.skatedresswarehouse.com)

They sell Mondors which are typically cheap, for $5 they will modify them and STILL ship them out the same day!

Hugs!
Danielle

Justine_R
11-20-2003, 05:32 PM
Kool im checking it out right now!

bauer
11-20-2003, 05:48 PM
I take syncro too but i have never heard of getting them cheaper.

me too!! But the dress designer also helps me.

Justine, I do synchro too! Where do you skate?