View Full Version : Skating Feet and Knees

princessthumby
07-09-2002, 01:46 AM
I'm a competitive figure skater, and I'm almost 17. I was wondering what injuries you guys have sustained from skating and what could be done about them? Or even tell me what they diagnosed you with.
These are my major ones...

[b:0f4b2837e4]Knee Pain:[/b:0f4b2837e4] Alright. So I've had knee pain for almost five years now. I have a lump in my knee on the lower, outter part. It's my right knee...which is my take off leg (I'm an opposite jumper). On the outSIDE of my knee it feels almost as though a bone is sticking out, and it is in absolute pain. If I bend my knee if makes a popping/tearing sound. I had arthorscopic surgery on it a couple weeks ago. It was feeling better, but the pain I had before is coming back. It also occasionally locks, and I have to slowly have someone unbend it for me if I sit still for too long.

[b:0f4b2837e4]Back Pain:[/b:0f4b2837e4]I'm thinking this is from my knee, and the stress of it. Or maybe vice versa? It's just a constant aching, and I almost have to hunch to keep it from hurting. It's in the lower part of my back. What do you have to say about chiropractors?

[b:0f4b2837e4]Squished Toes: [/b:0f4b2837e4] I don't suppose this is an injury so much as discomfort, but has anyone ever had their toes feel so absolutely squished together, from so much time in their skates, that it hurts?

Thanks for reading my complaints. Hopefully someone can help???

Kortney!

icenut84
07-09-2002, 10:19 AM
[quote:106365eda8="princessthumby"][b:106365eda8]Back Pain:[/b:106365eda8]I'm thinking this is from my knee, and the stress of it. Or maybe vice versa? It's just a constant aching, and I almost have to hunch to keep it from hurting. It's in the lower part of my back. What do you have to say about chiropractors?[/quote:106365eda8]

For a while I was having lower back pain after skating, and constant aching like you said. It was most evident after I did spirals at first, but then was pretty much just after skating, although I got it a lot at other times too. I went to the doctor and he referred me to a physiotherapist, and it's much better now. Believe it or not, your posture might have something to do with it, mine did. I was told that my back wasn't arched enough when sitting, and was arched too much when standing! Don't hunch. When you sit, keep your bum right at the back of the chair and sit up straight. Also keep your head up and back. When standing (and skating, I guess), don't let your back arch too much. This is something a lot of people do without even thinking about it. Try keeping your hips a little more forward, and consciously try to keep your back straight. If you get aches, stretch up, don't hunch, and think about how you're standing/sitting. If you keep getting aches, go see your doctor and tell him/her about it and about your skating, and they will probably refer you to a physio, who might give you some exercises to do that will help.
Hope that helps!

Rachel

garyc254
07-09-2002, 10:44 AM
Kortney,

As far as your knee pain, I'd suggest a trip back to an orthopedic doctor. Since you've recently had surgery, you could be overstressing the injured/repaired area too soon. Make sure the doctor KNOWS what type of stress you put on it with jumps. I dislocated my knee a number of years ago and the one of the first questions the orthopedist asked me was "What do you do for a living and for exercise and fun?"

At the time, I worked at a desk and exercised little, so he suggested physical therapy instead of surgery. Had I been a construction worker or was doing high impact exercises for recreation (like skating), he would have done the surgery.

Your back pain could be directly related to your knee trouble as your posture would change while limping or "babying" your knee. When I've hurt my knees, back pain soon follows.

Icenut84 had some great suggestions.

Chiropractors are terrific at what they do. Just make sure it's a chiropractor that you need. Get the knee trouble corrected first and give your back a little time to heal. If it's still hurting and your back pain isn't caused by a direct injury, I'd recommend a chiropractor. Ask your friends for a good recommendation. Somewhere between the orthopedist and the chiropractor, there's help for your pains.

Remember: Healing takes time. Even though you have the healing power of youth to your advantage, it make take several months with proper care and physical therapy before you are back in good shape.

I can't help you on the squished toes. I'd talk to my coach or someone that fits skates for a proper recommendation.

Good luck!!!! :)

jenlyon60
07-09-2002, 11:38 AM
Along with what Gary said, I can vouch for back pain deriving from knee problems.

Several years ago, I blew out my left ACL and MCL while skiing. Had surgery, did a partial rehab (due to relocating across country by my job). Started working out again and skating, and started having severe pain in my [b:e0c2c7cb47]right[/b:e0c2c7cb47]hip and lower back. It only bothered me when I started moving again after having been stationary for awhile...then after a bit, 30 minutes or so if I lasted that long, it would go away until next time. It got to the point where I could hardly walk from my car in the parking lot to my office, or down the hallway to the snack bar.

Went to the docs, got prescribed Motrin and the "come back in a couple weeks" diagnosis: Sciatica.

All this of no benefit and I was really concerned. Then a friend pointed me to some information on piriformis syndrome, which can cause sciatica similar to what I was having. (Piriformis is one of the small internal muscles in the buttocks, and the sciatic nerve runs near or thru it. )

Basically, my sciatica was a compensation injury from the months of wearing brace on the left leg from my skiing injury and hobbling around w/o crutches.

Good news is that between some focused indepth stretching exercises and a good physical therapist, it cleared up quickly (although not without quite a bit of pain as we stretched out the right piriformis) and hasn't returned.

And yes, I still ski... and I still have days where my left knee (the "fixed" knee) is quite sore from lots of skating (I do almost exclusively dance and MITF).

Separately, even with arthroscopic surgery, I wonder if you should reallly be back on the ice so soon, unless it was merely an exploratory surgery. My orthopedist didn't want me doing anything load-bearing until at least the end of the first week, and told me to stay off the ice until at least 3 months after surgery. If you had any serious surgical trauma inside the knee, that can take 2-3 weeks at least to heal. And as good as arthroscopic surgery is, there is still internal trauma from the scope moving around.

batikat
07-09-2002, 06:03 PM
I had to pull out of a competition last year with back pain which was diagnosed as a slipped disc. I had physiotherapy and went back to skating whilst keeping up the back exercises I was given. Preparing for the same competition this year I began to have back pain again (lower left side) and was considering whether I would have to pull out again :( . A friend recommended a chiropractor and I went to see him on the Wednesday before skating on the Thursday and Friday in the competition. After tests he discovered it was not a disk (at least not this time) but the sacro-iliac joint which was seizing up. A crunching manipulation later and I felt like a new woman. It really seemed like magic. I skated well and even won one of the classes I entered!
so chiropractic worked for me but I would definitely ask for recommendations from people you trust and be aware that they can't help with all conditions.
This chiropractor turned out to be a skater and considered skating to be great exercise (though he mainly skates laps in hockey skates and doesn't jump or dance (yet - I'm working on him!)) :wink:
I have had back problems for years - way before i started skating - and also knee problems after a skiing accident. i was supposed to have surgery on it but moved to live in Borneo and didn't fancy it out there!
I never did have anything more than physio on it in the end but would say skating has helped as it strengthens the surrounding muscles. I don't do a lot of jumping mind - I am just now learning the singles having done dance up til now (I started skating at 38 as i didn't have the opportunity earlier)
Good luck and hope the knee/back get better quickly but don't rush it and risk making things worse!