View Full Version : Limited to Off ice for injury!!! :(

jazzpants
07-08-2002, 07:47 PM
Well, I thought it was my achilles tendon. Nope! It was my HAMSTRINGS!!! I had a doctor looked at it today. He noticed I could still walk fine. I told him I was in pain when I did certain things (like spin in my case.) He took one quick look at my achilles tendon and started pressing up. He pressed on my hamstring and OWWWW!!! He then said "It's not your achilles tendon. You got a mild hamstring sprain" and prescribed the usual pain reliever, heat, massage, and to watch it when I skate. (No power pulls and spins, that's for sure!!!) :(

He said that I could still be active, but I think after this seminar that I'm taking I will stay off the ice for two weeks!!! (The seminar is mostly off ice and the next couple of days are edge work...and if I can't do them because of my hamstring, I'll tell them about it!!! I could still jump, ironically!!! (I land on my left leg!!!) :)

The most heartbreaking part was calling up all my coaches to tell them that I'm injured and I won't be back on the ice 'til my leg is healed!!! :cry: But I have to keep telling myself that this is all part of the sport and I'll just have to deal with it!

Cheers,
jazzpants

garyc254
07-09-2002, 04:09 PM
The diagnosis is probably a blessing. It seems it would be easier to heal a hamstring than an achilles tendon. A little rest, stretching, and anti-inflamatory medication should get you back on the ice soon. :D

I recently strained my sacroiliac (lower back/hip pain) just before starting a power stroking class. I talked with the coach, skipped the first week, did the class gently (no power, some pain) the second week, and am now ready for the third week with full power. :D

You're right, calling the coaches is the worst. I mentioned it to one of my coaches recently and she just blew it off. She's so used to injured, ill, vacationing students cancelling that it has become routine. She also told me she seldom fails to fill the lesson time if given at least 20 minutes notice.

That's how I originally got my lesson slot with her. It was the first time I had met her as she is also the rink director. A student came to her while I was standing there and told her she wasn't going to be able to make it to Monday evening lessons anymore. As soon as the student walked away, I asked if I could have the time slot, she said yes, and the rest is beautiful skating history. She gave me my first skating lesson. 8)

As I'm writing this, my other coach just called to cancel my Saturday lesson. She's going to Montreal with her boyfriend.

No, I wouldn't worry too much about it. :lol:

HEAL SOON!!!!! There's "playing" to do.

Perry
08-13-2004, 01:56 PM
Two weeks really isn't bad. And at least you can be active.

I badly injured my hip, and I was off for the better part of two years, during which time, I really couldn't do anything else (no swimming, running, anything). It's also a relief when you actually get a diagnosis, since my continued problem remained a mystery for much of the first year, until they ordered the right tests. Two weeks won't really set you back at all, and, while it can seem like forever at times, it's really not too bad. At least you caught your problem now instead of allowing it to grow into something worse.

Coaches are really understanding, usually, too. I'm currently in the phase where I have very limited tolerance, so there's a lot I can't do. My coaches have been better about reminding me when I should take it easy than I've been, and my freestyle coach called once a week during the two years I was off.

That said, good luck healing, and surviving an ice-less two weeks!

dbny
08-13-2004, 08:59 PM
(((Jazzpants)))

Sorry you're injured and off the ice. I've been off too, for the past three weeks, not due to injury, but vacation and other nonesense. Sometimes taking a break is actually a good thing, and you may skate with more confidence and skill when you get back.

fadedstardust
08-13-2004, 10:57 PM
I remember how frustrated I was when I sprained my ankle (twice...) It's very very frustrating, but it will get better sooner than you know it. Don't forget to stretch a lot once you regain full range of motion, and try to do strengthening excercises in that leg to get you back in full swing quicker. But yeah, two weeks won't set you back very much, sometimes I find taking a little time off actually gets me rid of any bad habits I might have picked up from too much drilling over the same stuff (usually jumps). Good luck and enjoy the time off! :D

jazzpants
08-14-2004, 01:36 AM
WOW!!! Someone resurrected that thread!?!?!? 8O :mrgreen:

This was at least a couple of months ago and I've been on the ice ever since. (Okay, so I didn't pass my Bronze Moves...) :cry: I've also gotten the purple boots to prevent this from happening again, since my old boots were going three years and are starting to lose its tougue. (And my current boots have orthotics too.)

The leg is doing much better... but I occasionally have "twinges" when I don't properly stretch and/or overdo stuff. These days I'm very conscious about stretching, particular the legs, after about 5 minutes of stroking around the rink. (Can't stretch a darn thing when the muscles are cold! Trust me on this one!) ;)

Now if I could only get my blade alignment on my right boot right!!! :frus: (I could do my moves, but spinning is definitely out b/c it keeps going onto the toe pick (and I didn't do that when I had my old boot too!) :evil: :x

singerskates
08-14-2004, 09:32 PM
Wow, I just noticed the thread. Show's you how busy I've been. I'm rarely home. Glad you're back skating and tearing up the ice.

Brigitte

fadedstardust
08-14-2004, 11:20 PM
Hahaha I just saw it up there in newly updated threads so I responded, I didn't even look at the original post's date. That's funny. Glad to hear you're better! :)