View Full Version : Jumps harness - your opinions

Aussie Willy
11-14-2003, 04:37 AM
We are currently fundraising to get a jumps harness for our rink (Our trivia night is on tomorrow with yours truly as the quiz master). I am just interested to know who has worked with a jumps harness and what you think about them.

Justine_R
11-14-2003, 07:11 AM
Well are club has had a jump harness for as long as i can remember.

They are great they really do help.

JDC1
11-14-2003, 08:10 AM
I hate them in crowded sessions. Please any coaches reading this, do not take up an entire 3rd of the rink when there are over 25 people on a session, it's just rude. There, I feel better. Of the coaches at the rink I skate I've only seen 3 of them use it and only on axels everything else the skaters learn harness free. (including doubles and triples)

blurrysarah
11-14-2003, 08:33 AM
I've only seen one or two coaches pull it out from time to time. Most people with doubles and up on my rink have never used one. Personally, I'd like to give it go, but with my addictive personality I'd end up lost without it.

garyc254
11-14-2003, 10:16 AM
Most of the coaches I know prefer not to use it, BUT there are times when it is the only way to get a skater over the initial fears. In that case, it's absolutely necessary.

I think I need it for Waltz Jumps. 8O :lol:

LoopLoop
11-14-2003, 10:34 AM
At my rink there's a regular harness (attached to the ceiling) and some of the coaches have fishing-pole harnesses. I hate the regular one because you can't do a normal jump preparation, but I love the pole! Probably more than half of the skaters work on the pole or harness when they're learning axels and up.

flo
11-14-2003, 12:10 PM
I have used both the pole and overhead, and really like them. The pole is good if you are almost landing your jump, and need a bit more time at the top of the jump. It's not my favorite because it's difficult for the coach if you to go into the jump with any speed.
I have used the overhead for doubles, axels and pairs. I had not been in it a while, and Tuesday my coach put me in it for double sals, and the first one was a tripple. I've also used it for overhead lifts, split double twists, and throw single and double axels. If you have a coach well practiced with the harness it can be a great teaching tool.

Mrs Redboots
11-14-2003, 01:24 PM
My coach uses it with some of his pupils, both on and off-ice. Off-ice, it looks exactly as though he's about to hang them. On it, it looks as though he had been fishing...... but I think he does find it a useful teaching tool, and his pupils find it a useful learning tool. Even if I am rude about it.....

But when you get down to the rink and see your coach's wife, who had had a baby less than a week earlier, busy holding up a child nearly her own size on it, you do wonder..... I think, to be fair, she was just waiting for him, but even still.

96.23??
11-14-2003, 07:57 PM
I have one at my rink , haven't used it since the summer but in the summer I used it atleast once a week. I like it because it helps show you what a jump should feel like.

Also if you go in it make sure you have someone experienced, the first time I tried with my old coach I didn't enjoy it at all and felt it was very unhelpful but now with my new coach it's great.

I agree with JDC1 that on an already crowded session it can be a pain, my coaches in the winter/fall sessions agree to have set dates where we use the harness and your have to sign up for that day if you're planning on wanting a harness lesson. Then only on freeskate will they take it out and use one third of the ice. It's not like you can't skate where they are using it use just have to be cautious.

For more opinions I started a thread on this a while back, here's the link I hope it works!

http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8056

note I had a different opinion on it back when I was first using it :)

mikawendy
11-14-2003, 08:02 PM
At my rink, I think the coaches who use it with their students have to have special training or certification first (forliability issues).

I've never tried it but would eventually like to, once I'm working on harder jumps.

Snowbunny
11-14-2003, 08:16 PM
Aussie they really help, i was using it when i first started doing triples, i just had a thing with the salcow and kept pulling out but after a few goes on that and u know how the jump actually feels it makes you a bit more confident when doing it without a harness!

Justine_R
11-14-2003, 08:54 PM
You are on triples!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snowbunny
11-14-2003, 09:05 PM
i was yeah, they arent consistant anymore cause of work and college so i have 4 days a week where they are 13 hour days so now its a matter of skate when i can and im not doing competitions anymore, its a bummer but i just dont have the time!

Justine_R
11-14-2003, 09:16 PM
Wow thats amazing i want to hear more ! Do you have an email?

Snowbunny
11-14-2003, 09:18 PM
I just sent you a PM

erdehoff
11-14-2003, 10:43 PM
When I skated as a kid, my coach didn't like the harness. Our rink had one with a rope and pulley system that went the width of the rink; I think I only went on it two or three times when I was learning my axel.

When I started up again at age 23, my new coach was all over the harness. I hadn't landed an axel in probably 10 years. After a few lessons in which we worked on the axel exercise (waltz jump into a back double three, mimicking the rotation of the jump, done three times in succession), he put me on the harness and had me do a few axels to get a feel for it. Then he said, "OK, now you try without." He even skated beside me holding the harness as if I was still attached to it, and what do you know? I landed the first one I tried. It took another nine months or so (and lots of bruises) to get consistent, but I found it really helped for me to be able to feel how the jump was supposed to be when performed correctly without fear of hurting myself. We're working the double sal now, and I haven't tried it off the harness, but I can feel the difference between a correct double sal and a poorly performed one and get used to doing it right.

It's probably a really good idea for adults. The real trick is to not let yourself get freaked out about trying it without the harness, though.

Aussie Willy
11-16-2003, 03:28 AM
Just to let you all know we might have raised over $1500 towards the harness from our trivia night. It was a great success.

Thanks for all your opinions.

Justine_R
11-16-2003, 09:21 AM
Way to go!Have fun with that jump harness!:mrgreen:

skateflo
11-17-2003, 05:19 AM
Do investigate the different types of harnesses on the market. They are not all equal in safety. Ours is the ceiling mounted one that runs across the rink, harness on pulley. Note how the harness attaches to the skater! Ours has a wide heavy padded belt that goes around the body with the pulley rope attached at the back. The belt must be really secure and tight around the body. All attachments must be checked on a regular basis (hooks, rings, fraying rope, etc.) Never, never patch parts with Duct Tape!!!

My coach used it when I was fearful about some of my beginning jumps and it was wonderful! Our coaches are very good about scanning the area before taking off and the other skaters are also sense when the harness is about to take off and skate accordingly. If the session is too heavy with 'program' run throughs, coaches will not use it - just use common sense!

Whatever type you use (I prefer the ceiling mount as it limits the area of ice to be used and I think it is safer for both coach and skater - poles can be dangerous) I feel it should be mandatory for all coaches to have a session with the manufacturer rep about how to best use it and must demonstrate understanding before being allowed to use it. Even if a coach says they know how to use it, your rink liability should require it for your rink.

jamie_rae352
11-18-2003, 08:06 PM
I really hate my club's harness, because it gives me ropeburn, and it hits my bun when I jump. Though I can land my triples on it.