View Full Version : need a pick me up -- adult moves

climbsk8
11-10-2003, 10:36 AM
I just took my adult gold moves test over the weekend and *narrowly* missed passing it. My coach is ready for me to try again in a month, but I have to admit, I get a little discouraged over the confusion surrounding how to score the test.

I was wondering if anyone out there has passed the test? What's the most difficult part for you? Any secrets to success?

The only two adults in my area who have passed had already previously passed their intermediate moves and have skated for a lot longer than I have. I've passed juvenile moves, but I'm nowhere near ready for intermediate.

MissIndigo
11-10-2003, 10:43 AM
:(

I'm sure you gave it your all, and you must have done some things well to only narrowly miss, so go give yourself a pat on the back for trying!

I've had to do that, uh, several times when it's come to those moves tests now... ;)

I'll be rooting for you to pass next time!

ask8ingcat
11-10-2003, 01:12 PM
How wonderful that you had the opportunity to test. I started working on Gold moves recently and I don't anticipate testing for a LONG time. Maybe a year?! Anyways, what did the Judges say about your test? I know that when I took my pre-juve moves, I didn't skate them as well as I normally do and as a result I flunked. My coach made me take them again the following month and I passed. So, for me it was a matter of focusing and not letting myself get so nervous.
c

climbsk8
11-10-2003, 02:03 PM
Well, I have dealt with nerves before, and they weren't really that bad this time.

The one judge I talked to was pretty encouraging after the fact and said it was close, but right before my test, another judge told me that she wasn't even sure what was on the test! I figured it was a joke, but a scary one nonetheless.

My biggest fear is the novice move. It is SO much harder than everything else on the test (don't you agree?) and I've devoted hours to it. With such a huge scoring difference between the novice test and adult gold (3.5 vs 3.0) I really have no way of knowing what is "good enough."

Plus, most of the judges have only seen novice skaters do that move. I'm sure it's difficult for them to watch even my best attempt at it :)

LoopLoop
11-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by climbsk8
My biggest fear is the novice move. It is SO much harder than everything else on the test (don't you agree?) and I've devoted hours to it. With such a huge scoring difference between the novice test and adult gold (3.5 vs 3.0) I really have no way of knowing what is "good enough."

Plus, most of the judges have only seen novice skaters do that move. I'm sure it's difficult for them to watch even my best attempt at it :)

I totally agree with this. I tested gold moves in August and failed, and I'm trying again next month. According to my coach, most of my moves are definitely at or above passing level (3.0) and on good days they're solidly at intermediate level. But that novice move... doing the end pattern wtih any speed just terrifies me, so I don't push enough on the side pattern either. My plan ;) (well, hope) is to get an extra tenth or two somewhere else to make up for my lack of power on that one.

When I took the test in August, I was the first skater in my area to attempt it; as far as I know, nobody else has tried yet.

skaternum
11-10-2003, 04:34 PM
... which is why I plan to compete in Silver for the remaining three age classes!! ;)

Mrs Redboots
11-11-2003, 08:22 AM
What do you have to do for the Novice move?

Many commiserations for not making it this time, but congratulations for trying anyway!

KJD
11-11-2003, 10:40 AM
I have taken this test too. I took it twice last winter and once this summer. I narrowly missed on all 3 attempts, so I don't think I can be much help in the "what it takes to pass" category. (I have passed Juv moves and am ready to take my Intermediate moves as soon as my sprained ankle heals).

I was also the first to take it here, and the only adult at this level and even testing in our area, so I think for those of us in that boat it's tough. The judges standards are really different from each other because I'm not sure they are sure what they should be looking for. For instance, this last time, I passed one judge .3 over, missed one by .2 and one by .5?? When my coaches asked why I failed in June, they were told by the one judge that the moves needed to be at Intermediate and Novice level, that even though the scoring was lower, the standard was the same. They were told its a "gold test", equivalent of a senior moves test for adults in their mind.

So........ I think you just keep working at it until whichever moves you have in question are a little closer to the standard level and then I'm sure you'll get it.

mikawendy
11-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
What do you have to do for the Novice move?

It's backwards perimeter power stroking with BI3s and FI3s. I've never seen it skated (or if I have, I didn't realize I was watching it). Whatever it is, it sounds hard! (I'm working on Pre-Bronze and Bronze moves, so I have just a *wee* bit of a ways to go before I'll even be able to attempt Gold moves...) :D

PattyP
11-11-2003, 02:15 PM
I just passed my Gold moves in August. I would have to say that I got lucky and skated them very well that day, although I did get close to the wall in the Novice move.

I worked on all the moves in that test for at least a full year! The Novice move terrified me because my coach insisted that I had enough "power and speed". I did thousands of the 3-turns to get more comfortable doing them at speed. I used to practice them in a figure-8 pattern. My favorite tips for that move are to keep your head up, knees soft and keep your feet close together...most of all, don't think about it too much and just let them go. Whenever I would tense up, I would trip over my own feet and crash.

Keep trying, you too will pass! If I did it, you can too.

PattyP

erdehoff
11-11-2003, 02:55 PM
I'm sure you'll do better next time. Have you thought about printing out the USFSA test standards for adults (as opposed to standard track) and showing them to the judges? They're on the USFSA site and specify the ways in which the adult tests should be judged differently from the standard tests. Many judges don't seem to be aware of them.

And are you allowed to test on the adult track and the standard track concurrently?

Nancy
11-11-2003, 03:13 PM
I just passed my Adult Gold Moves last week. If it helps you at all, the judges were looking for good flow and consistent power. Soft knees are important and also controlling the upper body. For me, that was particularly key in the Novice move, where I have a tendency to let the head and arms get ahead of the rest. Oh, and watch toe-pushing. Hang in there; if I can do it, you can!!

jazzpants
11-11-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
What do you have to do for the Novice move?This should help: http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_rules/mif_test_elements_high.htm

And the test elements for the adults moves: http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_rules/mif_test_elements_adult.htm :mrgreen:

Mrs Redboots
11-12-2003, 07:24 AM
Thanks. Yes, it does sound hard - not my sort of skating!

Moto Guzzi
11-12-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by LoopLoop

When I took the test in August, I was the first skater in my area to attempt it; as far as I know, nobody else has tried yet.

Actually, there have been at least two other skaters in your area who tried it before you. I believe one took it twice and passed it on her second attempt, but I may be mistaken about that. She doesn't skate on the same freestyles that I'm on so I haven't heard any details.

A friend who has since stopped skating watched an adult gold moves test that didn't pass. She said the person testing needed more power in everything, especially the power circles, and needed a lot of work on the novice move because she was jumping the turns and many of them looked two footed.

I've talked to several judges about adult tests, and all said that they expect more power with each test level. One judge said she judged a gold moves test where the skater moved her feet faster on the power circles but didn't generate any additional power at all. She said the skater wasn't bending her knees and getting down into the ice but was merely picking her foot up and clunking it down like she was going up a flight of steps sideways.

LoopLoop
11-12-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Moto Guzzi
Actually, there have been at least two other skaters in your area who tried it before you. I believe one took it twice and passed it on her second attempt, but I may be mistaken about that

Thanks for the information! I've looked at the test schedules for the other club in my area (since they post it online) and haven't seen any gold moves tests listed. I must have missed that one!

sk8er1964
11-12-2003, 05:00 PM
Last year I took my Adult Gold moves and passed, by the grace of 2 nice judges. This year I took and passed my Intermediate moves, and there is a huge difference between those two tests. If your judges are judging the Gold moves at the Intermediate standard, then you are going to need to have good power, speed and control. Also, I believe that a look of confidence is important - you can't look scared of the elements. As Nancy said, soft knees are a must too.

Good luck with your next try!!!