View Full Version : ever had a really bad fall--and then gotten sick?

backspin
11-07-2003, 03:15 PM
Has this happened to anyone else? This isn't the first time for me. I went down REALLY hard yesterday--stepped down wrong on my Kilian choctaw at full speed & went right over backwards onto my hip. A bad enough fall so that I just laid there for a few seconds to think about my life before trying to get back up again.

I was a little sore & stiff after that, to be expected, and by mid afternoon I was definitely drooping. I went home early & went to bed. Today I have a sore throat & a low fever--probably a cold or sinus infection coming on.

But this has happened before once or twice--it's like such a hard fall knocks your body down a notch or two & you can't fight off an illness. Am I crazy, or does this happen to anyone else out there? :(

Jess-ka
11-07-2003, 04:01 PM
don't worry you aren't crazy...once i hit my tail bone so hard i almost blacked out...atleast i think i just hit my tail bone...anyway i know other skaters at my rink who get sick if they fall down really hard.

Justine_R
11-07-2003, 05:52 PM
Yes i do!Like today!
I fell on my Lutz!(i normally do this jump good)
And now i have the sniffles.....:( poor me :(

Chico
11-07-2003, 11:31 PM
Not skating. When I broke my ankle I passed out big time. My husband thought I had stopped breathing because I was turning blue. The doctor told us that fainting and throwing up was a sign of shock. Your body shuts down and loses control in panic. (My injury was serious enough that I needed surgery and to be in a cast for months.)So yep, feeling sick would be "normal" over an injury. Your body is probably is in shock.

Chico

Aussie Willy
11-08-2003, 03:14 AM
This has happened to me years ago. I had a nasty fall in a warm up of a competition and sprained my wrist. I had been fighting off a cold up till then, but once the damage was done I was away from work 3 days with the cold (everyone thought I took time off for the sprained wrist though).

rinsk
11-08-2003, 10:53 AM
When I dislocated my shoulder in my short precision career (when back in on it's own right away), I fainted in the sports med office while the medical resident was testing the sensory nerves in my arm (wasn't ever anything either particularly gruesome or particularly painful but did I ever give the poor resident a scare...).

Justine_R
11-08-2003, 11:04 AM
Has anyone actually ever been put off skating when they fall?

NickiT
11-08-2003, 03:15 PM
I had a very nasty fall which resulted in a badly broken ankle. When I did it my initial reaction was to leap up but of course I found out the hard way that I couldn't. With the help of two friends I got taken to the side then passed out. When I came round they took me to the medical room and I remember going into shock big time. I was hot and cold, sweating, shivering, shaking and my teeth were clattering. I also faded in and out of semi-consciousness. I ended up having surgery to fix a plate onto the fracture.

Nicki

dbny
11-08-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Justine_R

I've never skated with quite the same enthusiasm since I broke my wrist on the ice. I definitely came away from it with a huge dose of fear.

I also nearly fainted when it happened, but didn't get sick afterwards.

jp1andOnly
11-08-2003, 09:11 PM
Today at skating I fell trying to do a lutz. I don't know why I was trying it since it is my worst jump and I've only been back on my too big skates for 3 sessions. Anyhow, I fell SPLAT right on my bum. I bounced quite nicely. Afterwards, I was a bit chicken to even try a waltz jump. In fact I tried 3 that never even left the ice before I got in a wee one.

That's what basically made me get the right fitting skates! Hopefully next week I won't be so scared. I think the older you get, the more fearful you become.(for some people)

Justine_R
11-08-2003, 10:06 PM
Oh jp1andonly!
Thats funny..I did that exact thing just last week.
I tryed my lutz but when i put my toepick in i flew backwords and did 2 little bounces on my bum!:oops:
My coach was quite amused.

supersk8er
11-09-2003, 01:13 AM
One time a few years back, I was freeskating and there were some dancers on the ice going over the Blues, and I was going into a double axel or something like that and when this person went to do a three-turn really close to the boards, I tried to squeeze between her and the boards, like I usually do, but apparently I was a little thicker that day than usual, because my pick got caught on the boards, and I flew for a little bit and then hit the boards/ice really hard...Not only did I feel a little sick afterwards, but my hip was very sore for a few weeks...:??

Justine_R
11-09-2003, 09:37 AM
Ouch!!

icedancer2
11-09-2003, 01:03 PM
Maybe you fell because you were getting sick -- your timing was off or something (before you even realized you were getting sick) --

Justine_R
11-09-2003, 03:38 PM
Maybe maybe, but who knows?

Schmeck
11-09-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Justine_R

I've never felt totally secure on a RBO edge, but I've really lost my courage since I fell and got a mild concussion when my head hit the ice, doing a simple RBO edge.

And it took me forever to get over doing a bunny flop, instead of a bunny hop a few years ago - lost my toepick, went down knees, left hip, right elbow. Lovely bruises, but what hurt even more was all the stuff I pulled in my chest trying to keep my face from slamming into the ice!

I can now do a bunny hop without the panicked look on my face, but my RBO edge is still very weak, 5 years after the fall. It's not pathetic, but my LBO is much better. Too bad I don't jump CW, sigh...

And I'll never be able to do a decent backspin!

Schmeck, who didn't get sick after the bunny flop, but had the nastiest bruises and broken blood vessels to show off!

Aussie Willy
11-10-2003, 05:19 AM
In answer to your question about being put off skating, not exactly, but a couple of years ago when I hit my head doing back chasses in the StarFright Waltz, it freaked me out for a while. Ended up getting 4 stitches. My coach was very gentle with me for a long time after that because it happened during my dance lesson.

Actually later that night, another of her students fell the same way (after I had gone off to the hospital) but not as bad and my coach ended up giving up for the night because it got all too freaky and she thought she was putting bad luck on her students. Then a couple of weeks later she fell over and dislocated her shoulder. She did not have a good run during that time, with either her students or herself.