View Full Version : Ask Any Question, part 4

Mrs Redboots
11-07-2003, 09:08 AM
So here goes with the new thread.

What do you use to dry your blades with after skating? I use an old face-flannel, but I know people who use chamois leathers, or even loo paper!

icenut84
11-07-2003, 12:32 PM
I have a small white towel that I use (about the size of a face cloth). I've used things like loo paper before when I forgot it but that didn't work very well, didn't soak up the water. I've used other towels/face cloths before too, but they didn't work as well either. Don't know what it is about my white one. :) I put my soakers on after that, to make sure I got all the moisture.

How many pairs of boots have you got through? (I'm on my second pair).

NickiT
11-07-2003, 01:03 PM
I'm on my third pair of boots now!!!

When did you last fall on the ice? I did today and have a rather sore knee because of it!!!

Nicki

sk8er1964
11-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that :D . Haven't skated yet today.

How do you feel about falling?

Jess-ka
11-07-2003, 01:14 PM
i fell yesterday...well i was pushed so does that count lol... i don't mind falling all though it can be embarassing...

do you have a favorite pair of skating gloves?? i do, they were light blue at one point in time:)

MQSeries
11-07-2003, 02:03 PM
No. I weaned myself out of wearing gloves while skating.

What is your technical elment(s) that you can nail at least 90% of the time. Mine are the axel and 2sal. Even when I stay away from skating for several months I can still land them when I get back on the ice.

JSR
11-07-2003, 11:54 PM
*cough* I'm such a lower-level skater...*cough*;)
Ummers...I land all of my fulls, though the loop is cheated, as is lutz. :oops: Flip is a bit too. If you mean non-cheated, it would be flip and sal. Axel is to be landed in the near future, hopefully!

What's your favourite genre of music to skate to?

Mrs Redboots
11-08-2003, 08:15 AM
For a programme, something funny. For goofing about, middle-of-the road or light classical.

When was the last bad fall you had - I'm not counting falling off jumps, here, but the kind of fall that you have to get off the ice for a few minutes to recover?

NickiT
11-08-2003, 08:47 AM
The week before the British Adults I had my first fall on a lutz and really hit my elbow hard on the ice. It made me feel sick and dizzy and so I had to sit out for 10 minutes with my head down and a bag of ice on my elbow.

How often do you wash your laces?

Nicki

dani
11-08-2003, 08:48 AM
I was skating the 10-fox with my coach. I had developed a habit of looking at him during the corner. So ... We were skating the corner pattern and he told me to look over my shoulder. As soon as I turned my head I toe-picked and went down!

Other than that was a few months ago when I put the heel of my blade into the ice during the 8 step mohawk sequence. That was a hard fall and really shook my confidence for a few days on what otherwise is a pretty good excersize for me.

-----

How often do you video your skatings or lessons? Since I am testing dance soon, I am taping about every 2 weeks, but probably every other month or so otherwise.

Hugs!
Danielle

dani
11-08-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by NickiT
The week before the British Adults I had my first fall on a lutz and really hit my elbow hard on the ice. It made me feel sick and dizzy and so I had to sit out for 10 minutes with my head down and a bag of ice on my elbow.

How often do you wash your laces?

Nicki

Oops ;-) I have never had a pair of boots long enough to have to worry about laces etc. I hadn't really thought about it!

I will leave mine the same:

How often do you video your skatings or lessons?

Justine_R
11-08-2003, 10:43 AM
Oops thanks SDFanatic!
Question....let me see....!
How big is your club ( is it undersized or over sized?)

well i actually bring a little tea towel to wipe mine.
Its really handy.

SDFanatic
11-08-2003, 09:49 PM
Hey Justine! You forgot your question!

As for video, I could videotape myself more, on;y once I've been able to get it done, and I looked pathetic! I've taken still, but thats not easy to do by yourself either, ah well.

---------------

Question, question, lets see, how many people are in your club? (our club has about 40 active members)

Steven

icedream
11-08-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by dani

How often do you video your skatings or lessons?
i've been taped twice in my entire skating career. it was really helpful, so i hope i can do it again :D

Does your rink have an annual ice show? if so, what part(s) did you play this year?

we do the nutcracker on ice every year at my rink. last year i was the chinese and this year i'm going to be a snowflake and a soldier. we also have a spring ice show :D

Mrs Redboots
11-09-2003, 05:24 AM
Your question, icedream?

To reply to Stephen, depends on which club - figure or dance! Actually, both probably have about the same membership (c. 50?) but very few skaters on ice time. More for dance.

Do you ever get cold feet (literally, not metaphorically) when skating? I don't usually, but I did this morning!

Jess-ka
11-09-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by icedream
i've been taped twice in my entire skating career. it was really helpful, so i hope i can do it again :D

Does your rink have an annual ice show? if so, what part(s) did you play this year?

we do the nutcracker on ice every year at my rink. last year i was the chinese and this year i'm going to be a snowflake and a soldier. we also have a spring ice show :D hey we have nutcracker on ice at our rink too!!

and yes i get cold feet, but only when i have to teach b/c i'm not moving....

do you h ave a favorite skating dress/outfit that you practice in?

icenut84
11-09-2003, 09:32 AM
I always used to get cold feet (literal) at my old rink, but I don't tend to any more - not often anyway. Which is a good thing.

Do you have a trademark move? If so, what is it?

icenut84
11-09-2003, 09:34 AM
Oops - posted at the same time. In response to Jess-ka's question - I don't have a favourite outfit as such to practice in, apart from I like wearing these black stretchy trousers I've got because they let me move properly.

I'll keep my question the same.

Justine_R
11-09-2003, 09:36 AM
I would say my trademark move is my forward Lunge!

And my question.....

How many coaches do u have?

Jess-ka
11-09-2003, 09:38 AM
some how running down the ice on my toes ended up in every program...and before i stoped fs it used to be a catch camel....my brother at the ripe old age of 8 does a besti in all of his programs (or variations of it)

do you have siblings who skate?

Justine_R
11-09-2003, 09:41 AM
No i dont actually have any siblings at all.

I will keep my question the same.

Mrs Redboots
11-10-2003, 05:10 AM
I have one coach, but he is married and tends to team-teach with his wife, who is also a coach, and she is actually my husband's coach (he scared her witless trying to dance the Foxtrot with her yesterday; now she sees what I have to put up with!). So she will sometimes do my lesson instead. Plus there's a skating mother who is a gymnastics/ballet/fitness teacher who sometimes gives me a lesson in that area, and looks at my choreography from time to time. But basically just the one coach.

Do you have a "dream coach" - someone you'd simply love to take lessons from if he or she taught in your area? I had been going to take the occasional lesson from Jimmy Young (http://www.jimmy-young.co.uk/) when he moved away, and although he's back in this country, he's about 200 miles away, so he remains my dream!

ask8ingcat
11-10-2003, 01:18 PM
I have a dream coach... actually two dream coaches that have opposite teaching styles. One is nice but extremely hard, the other nice and very easy going. Oh, I forgot... I have a third coach... I like her too!

What cross training do you do for your skating?

Sk8Bunny
11-10-2003, 05:57 PM
In the summer, when i have more time to take classes and stuff at one of my rinks, i take plyometrics, strength and conditioning, and sometimes cardio classes. During the school year, i jog and lift weights on my own time. I also do pilates and dance. i dunno if this is cross training, but i do stretches everyday as well.

What do you eat before a skate session/practice?

mousey
11-10-2003, 07:31 PM
i skate after school, so nothing. but if i have a late session, ill eat dinner first.

how long does it take for your skates to get dull?

SDFanatic
11-10-2003, 07:35 PM
I have two english muffins before skating, one with jelly, the other one with peanut butter or cheese, if I'm going to skate for three hours, I'll have a little more, like an apple or banana in addition.

----------

What do you eat after skating? (I usually have a banana and some string cheese, some days I have chicken and rice)

Steven

SDFanatic
11-10-2003, 07:38 PM
Ooops! Double reply again! Choose one or the other, or both!

(my blades last about 2 weeks, or about 30 hours, between sharpenings)

Steven

Mrs Redboots
11-11-2003, 08:25 AM
My skates probably don't get sharpened as often as they should; I tend to wait until I notice they're blunt - sometimes as long as 3-4 months.... other friends, skating on better ice, get theirs done far more often.

As for what I eat after skating, it doesn't matter as long as it's food! On Sunday mornings, though, when we skate before breakfast (but with a banana to stay the pangs), we have a bagel for breakfast.

Why, for those of us who regularly skate with some sort of partner, is it so hard to trust your partner when it's a move you've not tried before?

skaternum
11-11-2003, 12:22 PM
A: I don't really have a good answer. I do trust my partner when we try new moves. It's usually myself I don't trust. But I figure if the coach says we're ready to try it, then we must be ready. Last week, we tried a full press lift on the ice for the first time, in a harness. It was fun, but I may be singing a different tune when that harness is removed! Then, I may learn what it's like to not trust your partner. :P

Q: What's one move or trick that you thought you'd never be able to master, that you now find you can do?

For me, it was the one-foot power pulls fromt the Preliminary Moves test. My last pair of boots was balanced improperly and I had one leg slightly shorter than the other, so I thought I'd literally never get them on my right side. Mind you, they're still not great, but at least they're recognizable.

TashaKat
11-12-2003, 02:13 AM
Butterfly .... mind you, that's a LOOOONG time ago so I doubt that I'd be able to do it now!

Ideal boot/blade combo?

skaternum
12-05-2003, 08:39 AM
Thought I'd get this going again. I kinda like reading some of the answers you guys give.

So to answer the last question: so far, I'm happy with my Klingbeil / MK Phantom combination. The phantom took a little getting used to, though.

My question: are you skating in your club's / rink's holiday show? If so, what is your music? Group or solo?

LWalsh
12-05-2003, 09:28 AM
I am skating in the holiday show which is this weekend. It's an adult group number to March of the Wooden Soldier. The club doesn't have very many adults; we're the only ones skating in the show.

How many competitions do you plan to do this year?

sk8er1964
12-05-2003, 12:58 PM
Six. I'll do two locals in February, then the North American Invitational, Sectionals, and AN. I'll also do my club's competition in October.

What's the farthest you've ever travelled to skate at an event?

dani
12-05-2003, 03:40 PM
Would you believe Michigan? ;-) AN this past year.

What is the most events you have entered at a competition? Mine is 4, but I am trying to figure out if I could get away with 6 in DC! (moves, dance, FS, CM, Interp, and spins)

TashaKat
12-07-2003, 05:47 AM
Two - I get bored too easily! By the second dance I've usually gone off the boil and it's never as good as the first even if it's my better dance :roll: I'm not even very good at waiting between dances if it's a big field!

Do you get bruises/abrasions/horrible marks around your ankles from your boots? (I'd forgotten the 'joy' of looking like I've been shackled to a ball and chain! Both of my ankles have got huge bruises all the way around but then my boots were pretty new (and hard) before I stopped skating ..... now they HURT)

CanAmSk8ter
12-07-2003, 08:44 AM
I never have, but my best friend got new boots three years ago and I remember the top of the boot rubbing around her calf so much that the skin actually broke! She had this open sore going in a circle around her lower calf. It was pretty gross.

What kind of exercise do you do besides skating? Not off-ice training necessarily, but other sports or activities.

batikat
12-07-2003, 11:52 AM
Would you believe Michigan? ;-) AN this past year.

What is the most events you have entered at a competition? Mine is 4, but I am trying to figure out if I could get away with 6 in DC! (moves, dance, FS, CM, Interp, and spins)

sorry - just had to answer this one
At our rinks last Open I did 5 events:
An improvisational Freeskate on one day and on the second day I did Compulsory dance (2 dances), Free dance, Original dance plus the drawn partners at the end. Normally I'd have done the small group adult artistic too but had a big end of year exhibition coming up at college and couldnt' spare the time for rehearsals.

At the same event my friend not only entered 6 events, she was also the Competition Secretary for the whole thing so as you can imagine she was pretty busy but still managed to win some medals!
(she did small group artistic on day 1 and on day 2 she did compulsory dance at under level 4, level 2 variation, original dance, Free dance, drawn partners)

Here's Canamskaters question - don't want to hijack the thread here!!

What kind of exercise do you do besides skating? Not off-ice training necessarily, but other sports or activities.

SDFanatic
12-07-2003, 02:20 PM
For off ice activites I've done, jazz, pilates, yogalates, ballet, water arobics, circuit training, and specific machine and body workouts to taget certain areas. (and all these in adition to skating each week)

Does your club offer any off or on ice clinics related to skating?

Steven

sk8er1964
12-07-2003, 10:11 PM
My club has the usual off ice programs, but what I have found to be particularly helpful is a 20 minute stroking session that meets once a week. My stamina has improved so much with this class, and I can work on power-related things my primary coach tells me with another coach's opinion, which is also helpful. (We range in age from abput 7 to 39 - me - which is kind of fun, too.)

Will you be skaing much over the holidays?

jazzpants
12-08-2003, 12:27 AM
I will skating over the holidays, but who knows much time I'll get given the holiday rugrats... (both the small and the grownup ones...) :roll:

Originally posted by SDFanatic
For off ice activites I've done, jazz, pilates, yogalates, ballet, water arobics, circuit training, and specific machine and body workouts to taget certain areas. (and all these in adition to skating each week Good LORD, Steven!!! 8O 8O 8O I barely have time for skating and a decent gym workout!!! I'm concentrate on losing some unwanted pounds for now, so I have to do some dieting and "kick it up a notch" on the cardio to 5 times a week!!! (Oh, boy... :roll: )

And speaking of cardio, what do you do for cardio and how much of it are you doing per week?

TashaKat
12-12-2003, 05:27 AM
Erm, nothing, I hate going to the gym .... I'll dance, skate, do acrobatics, horse ride, roller blade but don't get me running on a treadmill or anything!

If your skating style was a car what kind would it be?

flo
12-12-2003, 09:43 AM
Miata (my present car).
What animal would you be?
I'd be a bird.

Terri C
12-12-2003, 03:03 PM
As for a animal, I'd be a cat- they are fast and falling is no problem!

If you could take a lesson from any professional skater in the world today, who would your lesson be with?
Give me a choreography lesson with Kurt Browning anyday!

dani
12-12-2003, 07:28 PM
My sister is thinking of moving to Colorado Springs so I have thought about this some. I would love to take a dance lesson with Christopher Dean. Maybe it will happen ;-)

Are you in a holiday show and if so what are you doing? I am part of an adult group number!

Hugs!
Danielle

SDFanatic
12-12-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by jazzpants
Good LORD, Steven!!! 8O 8O 8O I barely have time for skating and a decent gym workout!!! I'm concentrate on losing some unwanted pounds for now, so I have to do some dieting and "kick it up a notch" on the cardio to 5 times a week!!! (Oh, boy... :roll: )

And speaking of cardio, what do you do for cardio and how much of it are you doing per week?

Yes, unfortunitly I have plenty of time as work has been slow as heck, although I did get some work this past week. I think I'm done with weight loss however as I've been at 165lbs now for the past four months.

For cardio, both the circuit and water arobics both are cardio oriented, the circuit is about 15 minutes in length and your supposed to do it twice (sometimes I only do it once if I do it right after skating) Water arobics is an hour long and has about 10 minutes of warmups 30 minutes of cardio, 15 minutes of toning, and 5 minutes of cool down and stretching.

I usually do the circuit twice a week, and the water arobics twice a week.

Steven

sk8er1964
12-12-2003, 10:27 PM
My sister is thinking of moving to Colorado Springs so I have thought about this some. I would love to take a dance lesson with Christopher Dean. Maybe it will happen ;-)

Are you in a holiday show and if so what are you doing? I am part of an adult group number!

Hugs!
Danielle

I am not doing a holiday show, however a couple of the ladies from the University of Michigan's team that skate at my lunchtime rink were preparing for their show tonight. It was a lot of fun watching them! Wish I could have gone to the show but I had other obligations :(.

Have you ever had a piece of footwork put into a program that you think you will never get, and your coach refuses to take it out? More importantly, did you finally get the footwork?

Mrs Redboots
12-13-2003, 06:23 AM
Yes, and yes, sort-of. It was very simple - just 3-turn, crossover, 3-turn.... still can't do it well without scraping on my toe-rakes.

Have you ever skated when you ought not (i.e. with injury, illness or whatever) and did you get away with it?

skaternum
12-13-2003, 04:45 PM
Yes, I must admit I did. I skated at Peach Classic 2001 with a back injury. I shouldn't have, but I really wanted to. I nabbed a silver medal, but it wasn't worth it in the long run. I stopped skating immediately after Peach and was off ice for months.

Will you get to skate during the holidays?

luna_skater
12-13-2003, 05:25 PM
Yep, but not as much as usual. I have two lessons and a synchro practice next week, then I'm going home for two weeks. But I will be helping out my old synchro team while I'm there, and should get at least one practice in for myself.

Do you prefer to focus on one thing at a time (i.e. just dance) or a few disciplines at once (ie. dance, skills, freeskate)?

icedancer2
12-13-2003, 07:44 PM
I used to focus on just dance. Now I am going synchro, moves, figures, dance -- it's fun, but sometimes I lose myself in it!!

Does skating ever make you completely crazy!!

I would say so!!

CanAmSk8ter
12-13-2003, 09:29 PM
I think for me the question should be, "Does skating ever NOT make you crazy?" In all honesty, it makes me crazy but it keeps me sane, too- and I think you all probably understand that! (Needless to say, my family does NOT).

How long did it take you to get through your rink's learn-to-skate program? (ISI Alpha-Delta, Basic 1-8, Adult 1-4, etc)

dani
12-14-2003, 07:10 AM
a few weeks ;-)

Seriously, I had been a competitive roller skater in figures and dance and so the pre-alpha-delta was basically "free" for me.

That brings me to my question:

What activity had you done before that you think best helped your skating when you started!

Hugs!
Danielle

ChristianeDK
12-14-2003, 07:44 AM
Reading online skating forums, actually! (FSW in the old days) I do other sports as well but none skating related, but I think knowing som much about the principles and edges etc. really helped! Also: watching skating tapes. :D

What elements did you have in your first program (not dance)? :)

Black Sheep
12-14-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by ChristianeDK
What elements did you have in your first program (not dance)? :)

My first program was an ISIA FS2 program. It was 1985, and I was 14. I remember a two-foot spin, a 1/2 lutz, a 1/2 flip, and some kind of footwork/edges pattern. My music was an instrumental version of the Beatles' Yesterday. I got my first trophy in my first competition with it: Third place out of four! :D

What's the best thing you've ever found in a competition goody bag? 8-)

skaternum
12-14-2003, 08:49 AM
Oops. POsted at the same time. Here's my answer to Black Sheep:

Best thing I ever found in a goody back was a pair of black gloves. Very useful.

Question: why did you put together your first program? Was it for a test, competition, exhibition, just for fun?

TashaKat
12-15-2003, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by flo
Miata (my present car).
What animal would you be?
I'd be a bird.

:D That's what I've got except it's called 'MX5' over here :D Great aren't they .... apart from only being able to fit one other person in

TashaKat
12-15-2003, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by skaternum
Question: why did you put together your first program? Was it for a test, competition, exhibition, just for fun?

No, it was for my Prelim Free test. It started out as Toccata and Fugue and morphed into the them tune from Angel (well, not exactly morphed, changed completely actually!).

When can you tell that your blades are getting blunt (I just 'know' but can't pinpoint HOW I know .....)?

CanAmSk8ter
12-15-2003, 07:17 PM
Depends what I'm working on! Right now, for example, I'm working mainly on the Tango, and when I do the back outside edges into the cross-behinds, as well as the deep LFO into the cross 3, my blades start to skid when they're really dull. I notcied them doing it this afternoon, so I need to try to remember to leave them at the rink to be sharpened on Wednesday.

About how often do you get your skates sharpened? I usually get mine done every 3 or 4 weeks, but in the summer when I'm skating more I like to have them done every other week. I'm weird that way, LOL.

Figureskates
12-15-2003, 08:21 PM
I get mine sharpned every 3 to 4 weeks. I have found if I let it go to when they get dull, they go all of a sudden. One minute I can hold an edge and the next minute I am slip sliding all over the ice.

How long does it take you to get warmed up on the ice. It takes me about 20 minutes to get my rebuilt knee up to speed.

Sk8Bunny
12-15-2003, 08:35 PM
On Ice? Not that long. Usually 3-4 minutes stroking excerises.
Off Ice right before my ice session- 20 minutes at least. That is when i stretch, jump rope, etc.

Where you/Are you going to be in a holiday show this winter?

LWalsh
12-16-2003, 08:30 AM
Yes, I participated in a group program to March of the Wooden Soldier with other adults from my club. It was sort of a synchro number (when we were in synch that is)

Have you done anything recently (or not so recently) that you suprised yourself by being able to do? I just did a catch-foot spin the other day after years of not being able to find my foot nevermind grab the blade. :P

TashaKat
12-17-2003, 03:57 AM
Coming back to skating after NOT skating properly for nearly 18 months I was stunned and shocked to be able to do a BACKSPIN and a CAMEL SPIN!!! Those that know me from before will remember my trials and tribulations with these spawn of satan's moves!

What pressie will you be giving your coach for Christmas?

Mrs Redboots
12-17-2003, 08:31 AM
Bottle of red wine. He wouldn't thank me for anything else!

How long a break are you having over Christmas, or aren't you?

Sk8Bunny
12-17-2003, 11:53 AM
2 weeks off from school, and probably only christmas eve and day off from skating. there is a chacne, however, that i will be made to take a 4 day break from skating. i dont want to, but you know how parents can be..... lol

Is your rink decorated for the holidays?

icenut84
12-18-2003, 05:22 PM
There are some decorations up, yeah - things like fairy lights. I didn't see that much decoration though. But they might have put up more since I was there last week.

If you go skating with a friend/family member who's not a skater, what "wow" move do you show them?

Jess-ka
12-18-2003, 09:10 PM
i don't show them anything usually, unless they ask me to show them something...but all my friends and family skate now......

same question as icenut84 If you go skating with a friend/family member who's not a skater, what "wow" move do you show them?

CanAmSk8ter
12-18-2003, 10:00 PM
Depends what I'm working on. The only such person I ever go skating with is my mom, and she only sees me skate every few months, so I just show her whatever I think has improved most since she saw me skate last. Or, if I've had extra lessons with another coach, I might show her something they taught me, or something one of my friends taught me. I don't do singles anymore, so I don't have any flashy "wow!" moves to impress people on public skate. Actually, that's not quite true. I can hydroblade- to the *untrained* eye it probably looks good.

Do you get your competitions on videotape, either by a friend/familiy member or the professional videographers?

Isk8NYC
12-19-2003, 07:10 AM
I buy one copy of the video from the professional. The quality is much better.

What type of music do you like to listen to while skating?

Jess-ka
12-19-2003, 07:59 AM
anything as long as it's not the music that this lady put on yesterday...it was opera:x i usually don't care but it was giving me a killer head ache and sounded awful out on the ice....

Do you like to watch videos of you skating??

skaternum
12-19-2003, 08:33 AM
Yes, but only because it's like a train wreck. It's so gruesome, it's fascinating!

Were you pleased or appalled the first time you saw a video of yourself skating? I, of course, was appalled. I kept wondering, "Who is that little stick figure out there, with the legs that don't bend??"

Jess-ka
12-19-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by skaternum

Were you pleased or appalled the first time you saw a video of yourself skating? I, of course, was appalled. I kept wondering, "Who is that little stick figure out there, with the legs that don't bend??"

i thought the same thing when i first watched my self skate!! i hated it!

Do you have a favorite competition you like to go to or to watch?

CanAmSk8ter
12-19-2003, 07:15 PM
Lake Placid Dance! That's like the most fun competition. I competed there in 1997 with my partner, and I've done solo dance the last three years. The competition is incredibly stiff since there aren't any restrictions - I skated Novice two years ago and the girl who won my group had passed her Golds- but it's so, so fun!

How many skaters were in your group the first time you competed?

Jess-ka
12-20-2003, 06:07 AM
wow i just realized something...the first time i skated singles it was just me and this other girl....and i forgot the end of my program and got second...the first time i competed(solo) Dance it was just me and one other girl and i got nervous and almost went to go start when the the msic started, instead of waiting for the intro to be done....yeah i was a full beat ahead of the music,got second there too...hmmm i thinki see a pattern:??

Same Question as CanAmSk8ter...

skaternum
12-21-2003, 10:25 AM
In my first competition, I was the only skater in Ladies Bronze. Mercifully, they didn't cancel my event.

Does your local news media (tv, newspaper, whatever)ever cover local figure skating? Do they do it as a "human interest" angle? Our local media have all but ignored the local skating clubs, but my club has a PR person who has been busting his butt to try to get local coverage. He was finally successful.

CanAmSk8ter
12-21-2003, 11:57 AM
We have two major training centers in our area, so before big events (Nats, Worlds, Olympics) there are usually a few articles in the local paper about local skaters who are going. Before the last Olympics there was a special insert in the Sunday paper in January about all the athletes training in the state who were going, and about half were figure skaters. Occasionally we have an article about a local "kid" who's not really an elite competitor yet, but not very often b/c we have so many elites.

Are you asking for anything skating-related for the holidays, and if so, what?

sk8er1964
12-21-2003, 06:30 PM
A new warm-up jacket for every day use.

How many figure skating ornaments do you have on your tree?

techskater
12-21-2003, 08:22 PM
All of them that aren't Northwestern ornaments. My husband's sisters always get us a new one every year.

If you realistically complete one skating goal before Christmas, what would it be?

CanAmSk8ter
12-22-2003, 04:20 PM
I'd like to pass my Silver Tango, but since there's not another test session at my club until next month I guess that's not a realistic goal to achieve before Christmas. I'dhave to say I'd just like to improve my Kilian some more and continue to make the choctaws deeper. I can do one good (ok, recognizable) pattern, but subsequent patterns tend to get flat.

If you could achieve one semi- or non-realistic skating goal before Christmas, what would it be?

TreSk8sAZ
12-22-2003, 05:34 PM
Definitely to land my axel before the New Year. There's most likely no way that's going to happen as I'm still 1/4 revolution short, but it's a goal.

What is one goal that you have recently accomplished?

Sk8Bunny
12-22-2003, 09:10 PM
the beilmen(sp?) spin.

Anyone been wearing red and green skate guards this month?:P

Mrs Redboots
12-23-2003, 06:21 AM
No, but we have been wearing our "Christmas lights" - blade flashers! Yaay!

How long a break do you have to take this Christmas? (me, less than a week, but as my arm's still a bit odd I can only skate sporadically anyway).

icenut84
12-23-2003, 02:02 PM
I haven't been for a couple of weeks, and probably won't be able to go again before next week. :(

Is there one part of skating (or a certain move) that you've found a lot harder to master than any other move? If so, what, and how long did it take till you'd "got" it?

luna_skater
12-23-2003, 03:12 PM
Multiple choctaws in a row are definitely the hardest thing for me to date! It's coming, but very slowly!

What do you do to warm up on the ice?

sk8ndancr
12-23-2003, 07:12 PM
Edges,edges, edges and edges. Then edges,chg edge, 3's. All types.

Do you ever do your own choreography?

Sk8Bunny
12-23-2003, 07:32 PM
Yep, usually I do the majority of my artisitc/exhibition programs on my own. But when it comes to freeskate programs, my cheorographer and me work together on it, but he does most of it.

How many different programs(short, long, artistic, compulsories, etc) do you have for this season?

Justine_R
12-23-2003, 09:11 PM
1 short 1 long!

Whats your current boot?

luna_skater
12-24-2003, 11:47 AM
Riedell Silver Star. I've had them since 1997, but I have had them rebuilt once and they feel stronger than they day I bought them!!

How many different brands of boot have you tried?

TashaKat
12-24-2003, 12:52 PM
I've tried:

Risport Laser (good beginners boot), Cristallo (awful) and Super Diamant (incredibly awful, wrecked my feet then died within 6 weeks), Belati Gold (incredibly painful for 6 months then collapsed in a heap), Wifa Goldstar (good for Dance) and Diamond (hurt my ankles, good for Dance but not strong enough for Free) and Harlick (gorgeous, no breaking in problems, only hurties were at the front, top bit of the boot which rubbed for about a week but then was fine) .... guess that makes it 4 brands!

What brands of blade have you tried and what did you think of them?

(I've used John Wilson and MK but would like to try Ultima (are they still around) and the newish British blades).

CanAmSk8ter
12-24-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by TashaKat
I've tried:

Risport Laser (good beginners boot), Cristallo (awful) and Super Diamant (incredibly awful, wrecked my feet then died within 6 weeks), Belati Gold (incredibly painful for 6 months then collapsed in a heap), Wifa Goldstar (good for Dance) and Diamond (hurt my ankles, good for Dance but not strong enough for Free) and Harlick (gorgeous, no breaking in problems, only hurties were at the front, top bit of the boot which rubbed for about a week but then was fine) .... guess that makes it 4 brands!

I still can't get over how individual boot preference is... I'm on my third pair of Super Diamants, and am so disappointed that they aren't making them anymore! I'll probably go to the new Risport dance boot for my next pair in the spring.

Let's see... I think my first blades were MK Single Star, which I later had the toepick ground off of for patch. After that I had at least one pair of Coronation Ace, a pair of Coronation Comets, and a pair of Coronation Dance. I'm currently on MK Dance, and will probably stick with them for my next pair.

Is there any skating equipment out there that you're curious about? Maybe something out of your price range, or beyond your level, but something you'd like to just *try out*?

Figureskates
12-24-2003, 07:15 PM
Just for the hell of it, I like to try a pair of K-pics. I am sure I wouldn't suddenly being doing double axels but it would just be fun.

What skating item are you hoping Santa brings you?

skatepixie
12-24-2003, 09:20 PM
Custom Harlicks *hint* *hint*

Do you have your music for next season chosen yet?

skaternum
12-25-2003, 10:50 AM
Nope. I'll keep using this program for a while yet. I sometimes keep a program for 2 years, just because it takes so long to put together and I only compete 4-5 times a year. I'm only just settling in to a program by the beginning of the second year. Keeping a program 2 years sometimes is worth it. And, being an adult, our "season" runs later than the kids. Of course, I'm always thinking about what music to use. I have a few good ideas for next year.

Since everyone has probably had time to open their gifts now: What skating-related item(s) did Santa bring you this year? I got several: a 20 session punch card, a framed photo of my partner and me, and a beautiful glass cube-thingy with a 3-dimensional skater doing a laybeack (that was cool!).

CanAmSk8ter
12-25-2003, 07:59 PM
My grandmother got me a pin with skating snowmen on it, and I got tickets to Nationals from my mom and dad!

I'll keep the same question, since I'm betting most of us got skating stuff.

Jess-ka
12-25-2003, 08:10 PM
i got new dance blades and two new skating dresses and money...which will help pay for lesssons lol...

hmm same question i guess...

sk8er1964
12-25-2003, 10:35 PM
A new warm up jacket for every day use, with warm up pants to go with.

Anyone else? What skating item did you get?

Cinderella
12-27-2003, 03:54 PM
Hubby gave me a rolling skate bag holder to use for my (first!) competitions in 2004, and in my stocking was a skate tightening hook. Family and friends gave me that new skating-related book by Kathryn Bertine (All the Sundays Yet to Come) and several ornaments and other decorative things with a skating theme.

I love hearing this stuff, so let's keep this question active at least one more time...

skatepixie
12-27-2003, 05:58 PM
Everyone gave me $$$ to buy my new skates with. They certainly cost enough. ;)

Did your rink close for December?

Jess-ka
12-27-2003, 06:14 PM
nope stayed open for december but it has had a lot of hockey....not that i mind sharing the ice with the hot hockey players;) ....

was your rink open christmas eve day?

CoolbugSuz
12-27-2003, 07:46 PM
My rink was closed on Christmas Day, but opened back up yesterday. They had two public sessions, so since I have a 3 month pass, I just stayed for both. I came to the first one with a half hour to go, and then they stopped that session and zambonied the ice. As soon as he was done, I was the first one out and had the ice to myself for about 10 minutes. That was sweet. Then a small family of 4 came out, then another couple, and it was actually pretty quiet and lowkey for a while. When it started to pick up, I left. :lol: Hubby and my mother-in-law chipped in and got me another 3 month pass for skating, which is great! I work a block away, so I go to the public lunch sessions, which usually have no more than 12 people. Awesome! :)

OK, let's see, I need a question. What size are your blades in relation to the length of your boot? Mine are 1/4 inch larger. (Boot is 9 3/4", blades are 10's).

Suz

TashaKat
12-28-2003, 05:56 AM
I have custom boots so they're not 'sized' as such but I'm a UK 4.5 and use 9.5" blades though 9.75" blades just about fit too. My blades fit pretty much end to end of the boot.

If you've ever changed blade size do you find that it makes a big difference to your skating? (It didn't make a HUGE difference to me but I did find it strange!)

Cinderella
12-28-2003, 11:14 AM
Same here, TashaKat. I got new boots (Sp-Teri Super Teris) and new blades (Phantom Specials) which were slightly different sized. Since I was breaking in the boots at the same time, it was hard for me to tell whether there was much change in the blades. Except for getting used to the gigantic toepicks which suddenly were leaving humongous craters in the ice 8O , my skating seemed the same. Perhaps I should have ordered the blades with the automatic 2toe inside???

Q: Do you keep a skate journal and what do you write in it?

techskater
12-28-2003, 02:38 PM
I keep a skating journal of what I accomplished in each session, what was covered in my last lesson, what I worked on, and my personal goals are in the front (I have 3 season goals and 3 long term goals).

What are your skating New Year's Resolutions?

Mine are to skate clean programs in competition with the same speed throughout, and to get the elusive double loop in my program. Santa teased me with a couple of double loops last week.

sk8er1964
12-28-2003, 06:54 PM
First, to stay healthy (at my first AN last year, Gold II, I was injured - so while it was fun, it was also stressful). Second, to have fun competing, preferably with three doubles and no injuries :D ;) 8-). Third, to pass my Novice moves in 2004.

What's your pre-competition routine? (I warm up by fast walking, then stretch, listen to my program music and visualize, then chat with my coach to keep away the nerves!)

Black Sheep
12-28-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by sk8er1964
What's your pre-competition routine? (I warm up by fast walking, then stretch, listen to my program music and visualize, then chat with my coach to keep away the nerves!)

My pre-competition routine involves making many trips to the john(!) and trying not to watch too many other skaters compete (it makes me nervous to see them fall!).

When you compete, do you have someone videotape you with your own camera or do you utilize a video service. I always bring my video camera with me to my competitions just in case there's no video service available. If there is one, I usually just use that. 8-)

skatepixie
12-29-2003, 01:25 AM
I dont compete yet, but I plan to use the ones that you can buy from our club.

How long do your laces generally last?

Mrs Redboots
12-29-2003, 08:58 AM
Ages - I've got the long SP Teri ones, and they seem to have lasted for simply ever; they still have the nylon hard bits on the end. I ordered two pairs, but that was unnecessary; the spare pair is still sitting around in my skate-bag!

Do you ever wash your laces, and if so, how?

icenut84
12-29-2003, 01:28 PM
I haven't washed mine before - didn't really think they needed it. If you want to though, I'd assume you can just bung them in with the rest of your washing. They're not made of anything extraordinary are they?

What's the hardest jump you've ever landed cleanly? Mine is the flip (but hardest *for me* was the loop).

jazzpants
12-29-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by icenut84
What's the hardest jump you've ever landed cleanly? Mine is the flip (but hardest *for me* was the loop).
Me too! Me too!!! :P (Both on the hardest jump landed cleanly AND hardest jump *for me* being the loop... GAWD, I hate two footing that loop landing!!!) :x :x :x

Is your home rink Olympic sized or NHL sized? My home rink is NHL sized, but my weekend rink is Olympic sized. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

skatepixie
12-29-2003, 09:14 PM
Mine is 85 X 185, which is NHK (I think).

Have you ever skated at a rink where an Olympic or World competition was held?

sk8er1964
12-29-2003, 09:34 PM
Nope. That will change in April at Lake Placid :D :D .

Has your ice schedule been disrupted over the holidays?

skatepixie
12-29-2003, 09:42 PM
Yes. My rink closed for three weeks for the xmas show and its the only rink close enough for my mom to drive me too. I wasnt a happy Pixie.

Did your rink have a christmas show? If so, were you in it?

Mrs Redboots
12-30-2003, 06:00 AM
No, and we were away for its Winter Festival (an artistic competition), so we missed it.

When will be your first skate of 2004? Ours will be on Friday 2.

Jess-ka
12-30-2003, 08:16 AM
mine will probably be January 1st...atleast i know that is the first skate for my brother, him and the other students of his coach are putting on a show at our rink to raise money for skating jackets and such.:)

is your rink open new yrs eve or day?

icenut84
12-30-2003, 08:55 AM
It's open new year's eve, but closed new year's day.

Can you do a layback spin? If so, do you pay attention to your free leg position, and which position do you do? (e.g. attitude/classic, drop leg, straight leg...)

sk84life
12-30-2003, 10:14 AM
i can do a layback spin although people say its good i dotn think it is becasue it is really uncomfortable for me i do mine in both sraight leg and attitude classic possitions.

how long does it take the average person to get there double lutz? if the person is dedicated, but only skates 5 days a week

ChristianeDK
12-30-2003, 01:01 PM
There is no such thing as an average person - sorry :)

Does your rink close for the summer?

Tessie
12-30-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by TashaKat
I have custom boots so they're not 'sized' as such but I'm a UK 4.5 and use 9.5" blades though 9.75" blades just about fit too. My blades fit pretty much end to end of the boot.

If you've ever changed blade size do you find that it makes a big difference to your skating? (It didn't make a HUGE difference to me but I did find it strange!)

When I went from "off the shelf" skates with blades rivitted to the boot to MK doubls stars, I had to find my center all over again. As the off the shelf blades were much longer. I thought I would keep the old skates for pond skating, but the difference in the boot & blade was so remarkable, I donated them to a thrift store.

For the working adults out there, do your co-workers and or boss know about your skating addiction? And do they try to cure you or are they sypathetic and let you schedule your work load around ice time? :lol: :lol: :lol:

(sorry I think my question is out of synch with the thread.)

sk8er1964
12-30-2003, 08:06 PM
My boss and co-workers are wonderfully supportive of my skating. Even though I could use a little higher salary (because of this certain ice related addiction I have :D), I would not leave this job any time soon because of their support. My boss even came to watch me at my last competition!

I'll ask ChristianeDK's question:

Does your rink close in the summer?

skatepixie
12-30-2003, 08:12 PM
Just for a week for the Sr Hockey thingy... Other than that...its open.

Do you hate hockey? (Sorry...Im low on questions and the hockey thing makes me angry...so...)

Mrs Redboots
12-31-2003, 06:07 AM
No, because if it weren't for hockey there'd be no rinks - it is hockey that brings in the money and supports us free skaters! And when the hockey players refuse to skate because the ice is so poor, something is done about it. Guess what happens when the free skaters complain? That's right.... So no, I don't hate hockey.

What is your favourite drill? Mine is forward cross-rolls.

triple twist
12-31-2003, 01:40 PM
Going backwards, one foot ski, and then when you get to the right side you turn your blade backwrds and then forwards again. It hard to explain and I dont know what edge its on but its a bracket! And then you do that all up and down the ice.

What do you think of synchro? (i've never tried)

skatepixie
01-01-2004, 12:11 AM
I would suck at it. Im a jumper and an artist. I would hate having someone tell me what to wear and how to skate. Singles and pairs all the way! I also refuse to wear over-the-boot tights. Ever. Period.

Are you skating on new years day?

Mrs Redboots
01-01-2004, 09:16 AM
No, there's no patch ice, and I don't skate on public sessions. And no Dance Club, either.

Have you ever skated to music from The Sound of Music (well, what else would they have on television this time of year?)?

Mxicex
01-04-2004, 01:34 PM
No, but its one of the most used music of ALL TIME! lol

What is your program music to?

Cinderella
01-04-2004, 04:03 PM
My program music is "Fire on High" by ELO. I've used it for each of my adult freestyle tests. Each time I tested, the judges commented favorably that they thought it was strong and unique/different. Now my coach and I are re-choreographing it for use in competition.

Q: What is your favorite skating dress or costume you've ever worn?

techskater
01-04-2004, 04:35 PM
Definitely the one that my friend made me for AN's this past year that I am continuing to wear until my new one's ready. It's black, sleeveless and very tasteful.

What is the first costume you wore to compete in?

Mrs Redboots
01-05-2004, 04:46 AM
I wore a plain black skirt and leotard. And for my free dance, I wore a black velvet skirt and top that I'd made myself, with gold motifs on it. It looked nice on me - although my coach hated it - but I wouldn't do it again as the top was a little constricting; stretch velvet is better. You live and learn....

What is your most recent skating-related purchase, not counting lessons or ice time? I bought a dance skirt in the post-Christmas sales.

NickiT
01-05-2004, 07:14 AM
I haven't bought anything for myself for a few months now. I guess the last two things I purchased would have been tights and spare laces back in September when I was preparing for the British Adults! I did buy my daughter a new wheelie bag for her skates for Christmas though. That's the trouble with having kids who skate - you end up treating them more than you treat yourself!

What sort of tights do you prefer? I generally prefer the in the boot ones but lately have been wearing OTB ones, especially when competing and testing.

Nicki

TashaKat
01-05-2004, 01:24 PM
Danskin 73 with Mondor thick OTB/stirrup/footless tights on top for practise and Danskin 73 with Danskin OTB competition weight tights for tests/comps.

Undies or not? (Under your skating outfit I mean .....)

x

skaternum
01-05-2004, 01:30 PM
Absolutely NO UNDIES under a skating dress! This is clearly a pet peeve of mine. I can't stand to see underwear sticking out. What do people think the tights are for?

Do you choreograph your own interp (adults), spotlight or showcase (kids) numbers?

Isk8NYC
01-06-2004, 10:51 AM
I do choreography, but I really just map out the maneuvers to the music. I'm getting better at arm movements and group skating skills. Practice makes perfect.

Do you and your skating friends critique and coach one another?

Mrs Redboots
01-07-2004, 05:52 AM
Yes, frequently.

Do you ever find you have improved just when you least expected to?