View Full Version : Christmas Gifts

mary
10-31-2003, 06:38 AM
I know it's probably too early in the season, but . . .

What do you get your skater's coach for Christmas? My skater has 2 coaches. Is one week's coaching fee a good gift (around $100 for one coach, $50 for the other)?

Or do you think it more appropriate to purchase a small, inexpensive gift. I honestly don't know what the coaches' personal tastes or hobbies are:roll: .

Jess-ka
10-31-2003, 07:39 AM
my mom gave my coaches nice coffee and coffee mugs for the holidays

jp1andOnly
10-31-2003, 07:45 AM
go with how well you know the coach. Our longtime coach got taken out for an expensive dinner and got about a 100 dollar gift. The dance pro who we didn't know so well got gift certificate for 50 dollars to a store we knew he went to.

BABYSKATES
10-31-2003, 12:51 PM
After paying (and paying and paying...) for lessons, I don't have enough left over to by expensive gifts or give a cash bonus to my daughter's coaches. We try to give thoughtful gifts like baked goods, gloves, slippers, etc. I let my daughter pick the gifts and she writes a nice card to each of them. We love our coaches. They are all good people. We would love to do more but I think they know skating leaves us regular folks kinda poor! Truly, it's the thought that counts!

Dolly
10-31-2003, 02:30 PM
I usually pay between $20 - 25 for a gift for my daughter to give her coach. I pay the coach for her time throughout the year, so I don't feel it necessary to give her anything from me (personally) at Christmas. A nice card is all I give.

Some people in my area give chocolates, wine, gloves, christmas ornaments. Things like that. Last year my daughter gave her coach a musical water globe which had little skaters around the base, and it played "Skater's Waltz". Her coach loved it. My daughter adored her coach (who has moved away this year, and she misses her a lot!)

For the new coach, not sure yet. She's much older and established; doesn't need (or probably want) much. As well, very serious type. So we'll probably go with Chocolates this time.

skaternum
10-31-2003, 02:40 PM
I go with something in the $25 - 30 range. If you're trying to tie it to lesson cost, I pay $30 each week for a half hour lesson.

sk8er1964
10-31-2003, 03:13 PM
Since my coach still skates, I gave him a gift certificate for skate sharpenings. Another time I gave him a gift certificate for a bookstore/cd store because we can never have too much music!

Sk8Bunny
10-31-2003, 11:34 PM
Last christmas, i had been with my new coach for only about a month, so we gave her a 10 dollar gift certificate to a restuarant(marie calenders). most coaches at my rink charge 22-24 dollars a 1/2 hour, so gifts are usually simple, thoughtful, and not too expensive. In return, my coach gave all her students a little something for christmas, mine was a teddy bear on skates. i thought that was pretty nice of her, considering i hadnt even been her student that long. some coaches give 10 dollar gift certificates to stores,etc to their students. but yeah, 10-20 dollars in our area is about the going price for gifts.

Mrs Redboots
11-03-2003, 11:33 AM
My coach gets a bottle of red wine (his favourite!) and his wife, who teaches my husband, gets a house-plant. I usually get something for their children, too.

Candleonwater
11-04-2003, 11:53 AM
Christmas? We can't afford it anymore! ;) My daughter (6) chooses all her own gifts and last year it was candles from Yankee Candle and a stuffed animal.

MQSeries
11-04-2003, 12:20 PM
I would say just bake something and give it as a gift - simple and inexpensive. It's still "the thought that count". I would stay away from any gift that includes a coffee mug though. How many coffee mug can you have in your house?

mary
11-04-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by MQSeries
I would stay away from any gift that includes a coffee mug though. How many coffee mug can you have in your house?

LOL:lol: Tell me about it. I put a bunch in a box and put them in the basement. Most were "gifts". I have two favorite coffee mugs that I use all the time. It's their shape or feel or something, but I don't like using the other ones. They don't feel "right."

LWalsh
11-05-2003, 01:42 PM
I gave my coach personalized post-it notes with a little skater on them (an artsy skater not a cartoonish skater) She loved them.

mary
11-09-2003, 05:24 PM
Well, I'm glad to see that people are cheaper than I thought they would be. I am always surprised by my own generosity. Think I will be going with a "cheaper" gift this year. As my "mother" always said, "people don't appreciate it" (gifts and such), and I guess she's right.

Justine_R
11-09-2003, 05:27 PM
Ill just get her a little mug saying the worlds best coach or something cheap and harmless like that.

mary
11-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Hey, that's a great idea. Never thought about that. It's the thought that counts, right;)

Justine_R
11-09-2003, 06:05 PM
Right Right, and come on do the coaches do the coaches really expect anything?
And they really do love the cheap gifts !

Afetr all they arent gonna tell us what they want for christmas are they!

Well i hope not after all they do want to keep are business dont they.>?8-)

mary
11-09-2003, 06:13 PM
you would think.

jazzpants
11-09-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by mary
LOL:lol: Tell me about it. I put a bunch in a box and put them in the basement. Most were "gifts". I have two favorite coffee mugs that I use all the time. It's their shape or feel or something, but I don't like using the other ones. They don't feel "right." Just out of curiosity: how good of a tax deductible can you get out of giving the mugs away at a Goodwill or Salvation Army shop? :P ;)

I brought extra coffee mugs, plates, silverware, etc...over to my job, so I'll always have my own dishes to eat off of, instead of the crappy paper plates. Plus, I've been warned to NOT microwave with Styrofoam boxes. It's considered toxic! Something to think about if you have an office job with your own cube or office... especially if your job has a dishwasher too... ;)

Last year I gave a gold skating blade pin to go with his gold blades! :P (I don't know if he still has the pin but I've seen him wear it as late as around April(?) on his coaching jacket!) :D I have a standby gift if I can't find anything - a Starbucks card! I *know* he makes Starbucks runs... ;) (But the gift I'm aiming to give him is "top secret!") But like everyone else, I can't spend a lot of money. After all, hubby and I are living on one paycheck. :(

AshBugg44
11-10-2003, 11:07 AM
My friend Leah and I were talking about having all of our coach's students pitch in to get her a personal license plate...I think we were going to get 1 COACH or something for number 1 coach :)

Justine_R
11-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Sounds like a great idea ashbugg44!

Well i cant get them alot seeing as i have 3 coaches!

flippet
11-10-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by AshBugg44
My friend Leah and I were talking about having all of our coach's students pitch in to get her a personal license plate...I think we were going to get 1 COACH or something for number 1 coach :)

That's kind of a neat idea--do you mean a plate for just the front of the car, or an actual vanity license plate? The reason I ask is, in my state, there's an additional charge for having a vanity plate not just at first, but also every year at renewal. (The gift that keeps on giving! ;) ) Either way though, it's a spiffy idea. 8-)

AshBugg44
11-11-2003, 12:36 AM
Yeah that's what we were thinking too, because then she would have to pay for it every year which would kind of defeat the purpose lol

Mrs Redboots
11-11-2003, 08:33 AM
On the other hand, Ashbugg, that would be Christmas sorted for many years to come...... if you and your skating circle paid the renewal fees as well, I mean.

dbny
11-11-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by AshBugg44

You might try to check this out with your coach first (maybe with a joke, so you don't give away the gift?). Some people prefer to have their car remain anonymous.

backspin
11-11-2003, 12:49 PM
If I could put my 2˘ in, as a coach, I would LOVE to get gifts that go a bit along w/ the job. Think about it--coaches stand on the ice all day, they get up early, they get cold & stiff, some of them skate a LOT (especially dance coaches), and since they're often running from rink to rink, they don't often get home cooked meals. Things I would like (any of my students out there? hint, hint :D) would be a gift certificate for a massage, bath oil/beads, warm gloves, a heated car seat cover (they plug into the lighter & cost around $50.00--maybe a couple of students could go in together). Love the starbucks card idea, love the skate sharpening certificates & restaurant certificates. The baked goods also sounds really great. Then again, if you know your coach better, you may want to give them a more personal gift.

As a coach I don't expect to get gifts from my students. It's very nice if I do, but I don't feel bad if some don't give me anything. I think you shouldn't feel obligated.

Another question: do students expect to receive something from their coaches? I usually get something small--can't afford anything else!

AshBugg44
11-11-2003, 01:24 PM
Well I haven't had a Christmas with my current coach yet but my old coach usually got her students something small. It wasn't something that I expected her to do though.

Mrs Redboots
11-12-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by backspin
Another question: do students expect to receive something from their coaches? I usually get something small--can't afford anything else! I certainly expect no more than a card from mine.

sk8er1964
11-12-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by backspin
Another question: do students expect to receive something from their coaches? I usually get something small--can't afford anything else!

My coach gave me a small box of chocolates - something I did not expect but did appreciate quite a bit.

1lutz2klutz
11-20-2003, 03:20 PM
I found a great gift for my longtime coach last year. It's a special planner made especially for skating coaches called a ProPlanner. It has the days marked off in 15 minute increments from 6 AM to 8 PM, space for info on test sessions and competitions, places to organize tax information and deductible expenses. I had it personalized with his name on the front. He talked about it for weeks afterwards, saying how much he liked it, and several other coaches approached me to ask where I had found it. I'm going that route again this year, since he seemed to enjoy it so much.

BABYSKATES
11-21-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by 1lutz2klutz
I found a great gift for my longtime coach last year. It's a special planner made especially for skating coaches called a ProPlanner. It has the days marked off in 15 minute increments from 6 AM to 8 PM, space for info on test sessions and competitions, places to organize tax information and deductible expenses. I had it personalized with his name on the front...

What a perfect, fabulous gift! Where can I get this? Gotta have it!!

1lutz2klutz
11-21-2003, 06:10 PM
BabySkates- go to Proplanner.org to find out how to order in your area. They also have a judges journal and a jump journal for skaters to keep track of their progress as well. They are quite prompt in delivery too.

mousey
11-22-2003, 09:21 PM
that proplanner sounds awesome! but its out of my price range. i usually just give a plant or a card. and my coach usually gives out little bags of gummies, hershey's kisses, etc...

sillyskates
11-22-2003, 10:28 PM
If you're looking for a less expensive gift, how about a CD? Michael Bublé is releasing a Christmas CD that is available on-line $5-10 and will be released to stores on Tuesday (not sure of the in-store retail price). If you haven't heard of Michael Bublé, you WILL once Kurt's Gotta Skate special is broadcast. Beautiful voice! :)

mary
11-23-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by 1lutz2klutz
... go to Proplanner.org to find out how to order in your area. They also have a judges journal and a jump journal for skaters to keep track of their progress as well. They are quite prompt in delivery too.

I couldn't find it anywhere on the web. Are you sure it's called that?

1lutz2klutz
11-23-2003, 10:54 AM
Yes, the web site is www.proplanner.org, but here's the phone number if you need it: 1-866-243-6771. It's located in Missouri.

IceDanceMom NW
11-23-2003, 07:45 PM
One of the consistently favorite gifts for coaches is a coffee gift card to a shop that also serves tea, muffins, etc. Most of the coaches stop for a hot drink en route to and from the rink, and it is a gift that can be used for their families as well. It has been a hit. Another possibility is skate-themed stuff, but it is hard to find, and not everyone wants "stuff", little cluttery gifts, that they may not want to keep or use. Another hit is a gift card to a good department store. It may seem lazy and impersonal to get gift cards, but several coaches have actually commented that they appreciated having a gift that they could use as they chose. They all have to buy gifts too, and a gift card allows them the choice to treat themselves or to apply it to the costly holiday season in which they also must participate.

AshBugg44
11-23-2003, 08:53 PM
That ProPlanner thing sounds cool. Too bad it starts a 6 though, since we have a 5:15 freestyle here!

IceDanceMom NW
11-23-2003, 10:53 PM
I was glad to have this suggestion, and I called them. This year the Proplanner offers from 5Am to 8PM or a model from 6AM to 9PM. I have ordered one, and they also offer a zipper case with monogram if needed.

1lutz2klutz
11-24-2003, 04:28 PM
Yes, I forgot they have the two versions. Our first freestyle is at 6, so I get him the 6am start.

Isk8NYC
11-24-2003, 08:36 PM
I also don't expect to receive gifts, especially since most of my kids are in group lessons. However, I have been blessed with a few wonderful gifts that still stand out in my mind. Here they are:

When the staff dress code was changed, my blue mittens looked funny with my Red & Black fleece. I hate shopping, so I kept putting off buying new mittens. One of my students gave me new red gloves ("So you can take attendance without taking them off.") The most heartwarming part was that her Mom told me she asked to buy them for me. A five-year old!! Sweet as sugar.

A Dunkin Donuts travel mug and gift certificate (Not Ceramic) with a packet of coffee, cocoa and tea. The girl had noticed that I would often bring a cup in with the Dunkin Donuts logo on it. They see EVERYTHING.

I always tell my beginners to not be afraid of falling down -- "it means you're learning." A "Mommy and Me" pair gave me a fancy bookmark from the bookstore with a quote from Confucius on it. It reads: "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Perfect quote, great gift -- they knew I was anxiously awaiting the next Harry Potter book.

A father of one of my skaters purchased and framed a photograph of my own children that was taken at our skating show. Outstanding gift, since I never got to the website to retrieve the others from the photographer. (Bad Mommy!)

Finally, I have a pretty wooden cutout ice skate that was hand-painted and personalized with my name and wishes for a wonderful holiday season. It's a beautiful decoration that I love.

I've gotten other things: candles, socks, pretty pins, etc. I am always surprised and thrilled that someone thought of me. While I appreciate all of things I've received, I have to say that the most memorable gifts are the ones that show you noticed the person.

mikawendy
12-01-2003, 07:48 PM
I've always wondered if skating coaches would appreciate getting packets of stickers (that is, if they teach young Learn to Skate kids) to hand out to young students?