View Full Version : Layback spins..

figurebabe
07-06-2002, 02:10 PM
Hi, does anybody here have any idea on what I can do to stop myself getting so DIIIZZZ-ZZZZ-ZZY >"£%$^& when doing the layback...
Ok well since ive only just started out, Im wondering is it something you get used to, or does the position of your free leg matter? or how your hands are or anything?

But its not just dizzy, it just THROWS me off balance...BUT I have sometimes done it and not been thrown off balance, but I dont know what I did right! so then I cant learn to keep myself balanced each time I do the layback!

..lol any tips would help! :lol:

dalsvet
07-07-2002, 03:01 AM
There are a couple of methods which might help with the dizziness. When I first began to learn the layback, my coach advised to focus my eyes on one particular spot on the ceiling - this works well provided the spin doesn't travel!

What I actually do now though, is close my eyes - not as scary as it may sound. However, don't close them until you have settled into your layback position, otherwise it might throw you off balance.

Good luck, hope this helps!

kayskate
07-08-2002, 05:27 PM
Find a spot that is not directly beneath an overhead light fixture. Staring up at a light always made me sick when I was learning laybacks. It is importantly that you try not to consciously look at anything. IMO, focusing on something while upside down makes one more dizzy. This is also true for looking down at one's own foot while doing a cannonball.

Kay

flo
07-09-2002, 09:29 AM
Hi,
The key, as you suspected is balance. When you are balanced, you don't feel like you're "spinning" or wobbling so much as you feel like you're very centered and have very little motion. In a scratch spin, it's easier to figure out where the center or axis is - over the skate, and the body hips-trunk and head- is pretty much in line. But on a layback, you have your head and shoulders back, your hips forward, and your free leg extended back. The head/shoulders and the leg/boot are pretty heavy, and to balance that out you really need to push your hips forward. When you have all three "parts" balanced to eachother, your spin is centered, and you feel like you can stay there forever. When you are just begining a layback, it's really hard to get all these parts in the right place - you really don't want to lean back too far, and pushing your hips out is wierd! So, I would suggest easing into the positions a little at a time, getting comfortable with them, and practicing the full layback position at the boards.
Hope it helps. I like laybacks, and I also know what it took to get there, and I admire anyone who tries!