View Full Version : Pressures of weight

Jillianioso
10-24-2003, 01:24 AM
This may be a sensative subject....

but does your coach or club put any pressure on you to have the typical "skating" body type? (very thin)

jazzpants
10-24-2003, 02:21 AM
NOT my coaches... and I doubt our skating club for that matter either. It's *ALL* about the skating!!! :D Believe me, if any of the coaches I take lessons from EVER suggests I lose weight, I'll lose about oh, 120 lbs... yeap, the coach!!! :P

TashaKat
10-24-2003, 02:59 AM
Not so much the adults (though it's mentioned) but the kids are under very strict supervision with their weight!

I think that it's a matter of degrees. As an athlete you need to be fit, healthy (emphasis on healthy!) and good nutritional guidance. I am happy for this to come from a coach as long as the guidance IS correct.

x

LilSk8er24
10-24-2003, 05:53 AM
Nope. But my coach did get all her skaters to do a lot of off ice training (lifting weights, running, jumping, etc) and I did gain a bit of weight because of the added muscle. But that's a good thing for me, because I was a bit underweight for my height and age. Each skater is different, and it also depends on your genes.

garyc254
10-24-2003, 08:16 AM
As an "older" adult, I don't get any complaints about my weight. Probably because the coaches know it's hopeless. :lol:

I do know a teenage girl whose freestyle coach is constantly abusing her about being overweight (she's extremely thin). Although it hasn't been brought to the attention of the coach yet, this girl is in the hospital now trying to recover from bulimia.

Thank you coach. :evil:

Lawsuit to follow???

Jess-ka
10-24-2003, 08:27 AM
my coach doesn't say anything about weight my trainer may every so often that say that we've gained some weight especially if we h aven't been doing our exercises. As for my club i don't think they do either, for me it's all in the mind, since alot of the girls i skate with are incredible thin i try to make sure i am as fit as possible so i don't look fat next to them(not that i think i am).

rinsk
10-24-2003, 10:13 AM
My rink's pretty much recreational and we've had a history of girls who have become pretty seriously anorexic so it's a little sensitive. I haven't heard any overweight comments from any of my coaches or the other coaches at my rink (I tend to yo-yo up and down about 20 lbs or so depending on how crazy my schedule is and how much I get to exercise and eat properly so I'd probably hear about it). I've had worried comments about times that I've dropped weight quickly.

The only comment I even remember getting that at the time I'd interpreted as negative was from my first coach: it wasn't about fat, it was about too much muscle (lol). I was doing figure skating and competitive cross-country skiing that year and I've got a body type that picks up muscle tone very easily and I have short legs which really emphasize it: it was some sort of comment about, "Wow, you really don't look like a figure skating with those weight lifter legs". Looking back now, it's pretty funny and was likely meant as a joke but I was an overly-sensitive teenager at that time.

skatepixie
10-24-2003, 12:46 PM
I dont think you can blame an eating disorder on a coach. Its a mental thing...a coach cant make you have it. A comment to loose weight shouldnt throw someone off the deep end, and if it did, they would have most likely done it anyway...

Kelli
10-24-2003, 12:55 PM
No weight pressure from my coach or rink, and I'm definitely bigger than all of the kids I skate with (but I'm also 5 or 6 years older than them - I'm 21). But apparently their is pressure on the synchro skaters for a certain 'look,' to the point where some of them have apparently been told if they didn't lose weight they would lose their spot on the line. (Ok, so I'm repeating a rumor, but it's coming from a good source at the rink, though not one directly involved.)

And I may be bigger than the younger skaters, but I can jump as well or better than most of them. :lol:

garyc254
10-24-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by skatepixie
I dont think you can blame an eating disorder on a coach. Its a mental thing...a coach cant make you have it. A comment to loose weight shouldnt throw someone off the deep end, and if it did, they would have most likely done it anyway...

Possibly, but for the bulimic skater I know, a male coach constantly (over the course of 6 years) calling you "fat***" and berating your jumping ability because "you're carrying too much lard" doesn't help the case. This girl is about 5'-8" and weighed at the heaviest 120 lbs. 8O

jazzpants
10-24-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by garyc254
Possibly, but for the bulimic skater I know, a male coach constantly (over the course of 6 years) calling you "fat***" and berating your jumping ability because "you're carrying too much lard" doesn't help the case. This girl is about 5'-8" and weighed at the heaviest 120 lbs. 8O MAN!!! I hope this young lady lose <BAD male coach's weight> lbs! :evil:

It's one thing if your health is in danger and you're obese to the point where you can't barely breathe from taking 5 steps away from your chair. It's another thing when you are normally healthy and someone who is NOT qualified to tell you whether or not you're healthy or not does tell you that you're fat. Only a doctor or an ACSM certified trainer has the qualifications to tell you whether or not you're fat or not. (A skating coach is definitely NOT QUALIFIED for that!!!)

I swear any coach that does something like that raises red flags in my book. I would start questioning his/her skating techniques. I should also note that I have seen one Senior lady (as in triple flip and lutz) who definitely does not look "waifish" (very muscular in fact) that skates circles around other "waifish" Senior ladies.

garyc254
10-24-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by jazzpants
...when you are normally healthy and someone who is NOT qualified to tell you whether or not you're healthy or not does tell you that you're fat.

ITA

SDFanatic
10-24-2003, 02:55 PM
It definitely is a sensitive issue, not just with skaters, but with any male or female who participates in such things where image may be a factor, or even ones self imposed or an outsiders ideals.

Before I started skating I was 210lbs I'm 5' 8" and according to the BMI scale I think I was on the edge of obese. Since I've been skating I've lost 45lbs and have been hovering between 163 and 167 for a couple months (which is also 10 pounds less then when I was in my teens) And again according to the BMI chart I am on the verge of being overweight as it says I need to be around 140lbs. BMI however is not accurate for people who are very physically active as it does not take into account ones muscle mass. My current body fat level is around 20% of which my dietitian tells me is healthy. My calorie intake also should be around 2200-2400 calories for all the activity I do (skating, ballet, pilates, swimming, circuit workout, etc) as It comes to about 18 hours of physical activity a week, but my calorie intake is averaging about 2000. But I am not hungry, nor am I stuffed, so she thinks I'm ok with that number.

As for people who do such things as purge because they need to eat but think there going to get all fat with what there eating and such is a hard battle to fight. I know of many such people, and I know one who died from it, it's not a great thing to come across.

It's unfortunate that ones physical appearance can have such devastating results, I hate it when someone comments on how fat, or skinny, or what not based on ones looks, I personally don't care.

I would hope for everyone to not let others put them down for their physical appearance.

Steven

skaternum
10-24-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by SDFanatic
Since I've been skating I've lost 45lbs and have been hovering between 163 and 167 for a couple months (which is also 10 pounds less then when I was in my teens) And again according to the BMI chart I am on the verge of being overweight as it says I need to be around 140lbs. BMI however is not accurate for people who are very physically active as it does not take into account ones muscle mass

Wow! 45 pounds is a lot. That's really great. I have the same issue with my BMI number. I'm 5'6" and I weigh 130 lbs. I'm always in the "overweight" category when my BMI number is calculated. The first time I saw this, I laughed out loud! Athletes definitely can't go by BMI.

garyc254
10-24-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by skaternum
I'm always in the "overweight" category when my BMI number is calculated. The first time I saw this, I laughed out loud! Athletes definitely can't go by BMI.

Right after the government came out with the BMI, a local newspaper plugged in the characteristics for baseball player Barry Bonds.

You guessed it....his BMI said he was obese. 8O :roll:

LWalsh
10-24-2003, 03:10 PM
I am an adult skater and my coach has suggested that I lose some weight. Now I am a good 20 lbs over the weight I was when I was in good shape; so even 10 or 15 would make a big difference. I did manage to lose 8 lbs recently and I have noticed a difference in my jumping. It is true that the best jumping body is stick thin (unfortunately)

But...

This was one adult speaking to another adult though and not the same as the skater Gary described above. In my opinion what he describes is blatently abusive behavior. It is verbal abuse and even worse when doled out by a skating coach to a young person. I can remember skating as a child and I really looked up to my coach. It is easy to see how a young girl would take this to heart and go overboard trying to lose weight. I hope her parents didn't ignore this. How awful.

Mel On Ice
10-24-2003, 03:18 PM
The only person putting pressure on me to lose weight is me.

My rink is very relaxed on the issue as far as I have seen.

garyc254
10-24-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by LWalsh
I am an adult skater and my coach has suggested that I lose some weight. Now I am a good 20 lbs over the weight I was when I was in good shape; so even 10 or 15 would make a big difference. I did manage to lose 8 lbs recently and I have noticed a difference in my jumping. It is true that the best jumping body is stick thin (unfortunately)

Welllllllll :roll: a lot of us adults could use to lose a few pounds. Even though I watch my caloric intake most of the time, I still occasionally (okay, every night) get into the goodies. :twisted:

It's okay to be stick thin as long as you're healthy. I was extremely thin through my teens and 20's. I ate like a horse, but couldn't put on a pound. Suddenly, middle age caught up with me. :cry:

As jazzpants said "Only a doctor or an ACSM certified trainer has the qualifications to tell you whether or not you're fat or not."

They are also the only ones that can properly address how best for a person to lose weight if need be. The key issue is to be healthy. If you're not healthy, you can't perform to your best ability. If you lose a lot of weight thinking you'll be able to skate better, but you become unhealthy, you've defeated the purpose and will skate poorly.

Steven, good for you. You put things into the proper perspective.

LWalsh
10-24-2003, 03:49 PM
If you lose a lot of weight thinking you'll be able to skate better, but you become unhealthy, you've defeated the purpose and will skate poorly.[QUOTE]

Oh no! I wasn't suggesting that I lose weight to get to an unhealthy point. Trust me, I am in no danger of starving.

But, it IS easier to skate when you have lost some weight (for a person that was overweight to begin with).

Really I was agreeing with you as well answering the original poster who asked if any coaches or clubs had apporoached them about weight. Mine had. So I described the experience in the context that I am a few pounds overweight.

garyc254
10-24-2003, 04:01 PM
Oh no! I wasn't suggesting that I lose weight to get to an unhealthy point. Trust me, I am in no danger of starving.

I understood what you meant. :D

I'm in no danger of starving either. :roll:

supersk8er
10-24-2003, 04:37 PM
Possibly, but for the bulimic skater I know, a male coach constantly (over the course of 6 years) calling you "fat***" and berating your jumping ability because "you're carrying too much lard" doesn't help the case. This girl is about 5'-8" and weighed at the heaviest 120 lbs. 8O

I'm just about 5'8 and I weigh 120 lbs + or - 1 or 2 pounds...and I don't have an eating disorder...I think that to use that as a statement is a little bit duragatory because everyone has a different body type. Although, I'm sure this girl was sick if she's currently being treated for bilemia. :??

MissIndigo
10-24-2003, 04:39 PM
From what I have seen at my rink, we are rather relaxed on the weight issue. I have never seen a coach or a parent openly berate any skater for his or her size. I would hope that such matters, when and if they are issues, are handled discreetly between skater, coach, and parent. We have successful skaters of all sizes, all of whom are physically fit and not waifs. Some are naturally small, while others you can look at and tell just have bigger and denser bones. They most certainly watch what they eat, but I have never seen them hold back food from themselves on purpose.

As an adult, I have control over my own diet and exercise plan and my coaches know this. I just do my best to follow my healthy vegetarian diet, and I don't beat myself up when I let myself have a goodie. There's no need to do so if I know I am doing my best to stay strong and healthy.

Some coaches get it, some don't, this idea of "strong and healthy" and what it should mean to each individual skater. It is a mighty sad thing to be pushing the waif-like image onto young skaters when it's likely some of these coaches have had no formal training in nutrition at all, or would just rather berate these kids than respect them and send them to a proper dietician. There's so much more at stake here than just an image...brittle bones come to mind right offhand.

Skaters really need to take this matter of nutrition into their own hands, and seek advice from qualified professionals in order to help avoid some of these problems. If the coaches are not willing to accept this, then it's time for the skater to move on to a place that does.

Black Sheep
10-24-2003, 06:40 PM
At 5'2" and a size 6, I don't even bother with weight, scales, or calorie-counting. When I did all that shtick as a teenager, I couldn't skate at all because I was so frail and weak from not eating!

Today I don't even know what I weigh. I avoid scales like the plague. I know most of what I weigh is muscle, anyway (and muscle weighs more than fat)--and I need those muscles to skate with! Eating right for energy helps me a lot, too. 8-)

luna_skater
10-24-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by supersk8er
I'm just about 5'8 and I weigh 120 lbs + or - 1 or 2 pounds...and I don't have an eating disorder...I think that to use that as a statement is a little bit duragatory because everyone has a different body type. Although, I'm sure this girl was sick if she's currently being treated for bilemia. :??

I think you might have misunderstood. I think Gary was trying to show how absurd it was for this coach to be calling the girl fat when she was clearly not. Not that people who are 5'8" and 120 lbs have disorders.

I've never felt pressure to lose weight, even after high school when I put on the "Freshman 15." :) More than anything, I'm always trying to build muscle and strengthen my core. I learned from a project I did in high school that when you starve your body of nutrients, it actually starts to break down the muscle to compensate, NOT the fat. So, you're losing weight, but you're not losing fat. If that is the case, I can't image in trying to skate with my body running on empty. If I feel the least bit hungry before practice, I know I will feel weak on the ice. It's the psychology of it all that mystifies me...what is it that makes a person lose the ability of reason in situations like these?

Chico
10-24-2003, 09:00 PM
My old coach often told me what a good body I have for skating. I'm not a really big adult, 5'2 and 97 lbs. I also have a smaller front. From his point of view these things have made an impact on what I've been able to do. Now, I don't starve myself! I'm just naturally a small person, this is my package. I eat loads! Honest! I am in good shape from skating and using "light" weights. According to him little fronts and small package makes jumps and such "easier". I used to find this annoying to some extent. I do agree that stature does have an impact, but would like to think hard work does more. I know some very talented skaters, who are heavier. In fact, the best spinner I know is a little over weight. And no, my coach never suggested weight loss or gain.

Chico

Mel On Ice
10-24-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Chico
I also have a smaller front.

Bigger boobs also effects your golf game. :lol:

garyc254
10-24-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by supersk8er
I'm just about 5'8 and I weigh 120 lbs + or - 1 or 2 pounds...and I don't have an eating disorder...I think that to use that as a statement is a little bit duragatory because everyone has a different body type.

Thanks for explaining, luna_skater.

Sorry, I didn't relay the information properly. The 5'-8" and 120 lbs was before she started purging. Actually, that would be a good weight for her with her muscle tone. She's barely 100 lbs now.

garyc254
10-24-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Mel On Ice

MY HEAVENS, MEL!!!!!!

I didn't know you played golf!! ;) :lol:

mousey
10-24-2003, 10:09 PM
at my club, ive never heard a parent or coach telling their student/kid to lose weight. however i have heard skaters saying that they need to lose weight, but i think that they brought it onto themselves. as for synchro, i dont think size matters in my club. true, smaller people look better in the dresses (face it, skating dresses are like swimsuits!!!) but as for making the team, its strictly on ability and commitment.

Chico
10-24-2003, 10:37 PM
Mel,

Maybe I should take up golf too. =-) I guess having smaller boobs has got to be good for something.

Cgico

jazzpants
10-25-2003, 12:51 AM

Sorry, I didn't relay the information properly. The 5'-8" and 120 lbs was before she started purging. Actually, that would be a good weight for her with her muscle tone. She's barely 100 lbs now. DOH!!!! 8O 8O 8O

Good grief! I'm 5'3" and 120 lbs is my target weight! (And I am CERTAINLY NOT 120 lbs right now...oh, MAN!!! I hate that flab on the tummy...) :x I don't even want to imagine myself 100 lbs, much less a woman who's 5'8". EEEEEEK!!! 8O

However, I could proudly say that I'm pretty physically strong... and my cardio is still pretty decent, though I certainly wouldn't want to try putting myself through a 4 and change minute long program... And I'll join the "smaller boobs" out on the green too! :lol: :P

TashaKat
10-25-2003, 03:48 AM

I agree with Gary. This type of scenario is FAR too common. In my previous post I mentioned 'healthy' ..... if your coach is pushing you to not eat (yes I've seen that) or to purge if you do eat (I've seen that too) then that is NOT healthy advice.

IMO there is far too much pressure put on skaters both by coaches, shows, other skaters, judges etc to be stick thin. By training you are going to develop muscles which by definition will weigh heavier. I don't want to see skaters who are weak because they are not eating, a well toned, healthy body is not going to be as prone to injury and will always look better.

It is such a shame that this is still prevalent. It's about time that skating organisations took some responsibility for the 'message' that some coaches are giving out.

icenut84
10-25-2003, 11:42 AM
It is true that the best jumping body is stick thin (unfortunately)

Not necessarily. Think about Midori Ito and Tonya Harding - neither was "stick thin" (both were quite muscular, actually), and they are considered two of the best jumpers ever. Elvis Stojko was the same. Maybe if someone is overweight then losing a bit of weight might help with their jumps, but I think many top skaters who don't have a "stick thin" body type but are powerful jumpers can prove that idea wrong.

Azlynn
10-25-2003, 04:20 PM
Last year at the rink one of the kids was trying on her new dress. The grandmother made a big issue out of her having to lose some weight to make the dress fit better, going on and on about no more snacks, having to go out on runs, go to the gym, etc. She blathered on for several minutes like this while a coach was there and just laughed.

The only problem with the dress was that the girth wasn't long enough. Tiny little skater, perfectly healthy, even thin, yet being told that she's fat.

The grandmother was the one who needed to go on a 'diet', and I really wanted to tell her that. :evil:

supersk8er
10-25-2003, 05:39 PM

Sorry, I didn't relay the information properly. The 5'-8" and 120 lbs was before she started purging. Actually, that would be a good weight for her with her muscle tone. She's barely 100 lbs now.

Yes, thank you Luna_skater, I definitely was misunderstanding.

Christ that is skinny...:??

*Starryskye*
10-25-2003, 10:25 PM
Wow..I'm a teenage skater and have actually heard things about losing weight and such. My coach never told me to, but one of the girls I skate with was told by her coach that she needed to lose about 15 pounds. Now, this girl is slightly overweight..but not by any means fat at all. I felt really bad becuase she trys to eat healthy and is aware of her body type, and sees a ton of thin people around her all the time. She took the advice, and is in a healthy way losing the weight... I still think it isn't the place of a coach to tell somebody...especially a teenager to lose weight or not. Myself, I'm 5'4 and 128 pounds. Some of my coaches in my other sports besides skating have suggested that I lose weight...but I really don't see why. It's kind of gross how much muscle i have especially in my legs..haha..and i can completely relate to the whole "weight lifter" legs comment! It's okay though...I've learned to laugh along. And I've been told I have a really nice body by lots of people since then, so hey..what do those people know? It's not like theyre trained to tell me if i'm obese or not!:P

The thing is, I know that as a teenage skater when you see a bunch of elite thin skaters around you you feel out of place if youre not as thin as them. It's not coaches much around my rink..but the girls who put pressure on themselves. Last year at this time I was very uncomfortable about my weight..but I'm definitely not anymore...and I think through talking with the girls at my rink a lot more people are okay with themselves too. It's all a confidence issue

By the way, one last comment (sorry this is so long)! Being thin doesnt always make jumping easy! One of my best friends who skates is really skinny and has the hardest time doing jumps! She is a fantastic and beautiful skater whos just stuck on her doubles, all because shes so thin..and rather tall...that her build won't allow her to position correctly in the air without a harness (sometimes even with).

To anybody reading this who might worry about their weight...dont! Really, unless you are unhealthy and it is putting your health at risk...enjoy life and do the best you can with who you are, what you were given, and what you have. :)

icenut84
10-26-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by *Starryskye*
To anybody reading this who might worry about their weight...dont! Really, unless you are unhealthy and it is putting your health at risk...enjoy life and do the best you can with who you are, what you were given, and what you have. :)

That's great advice :)

sk8pics
10-29-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by skaternum
Wow! 45 pounds is a lot. That's really great. I have the same issue with my BMI number. I'm 5'6" and I weigh 130 lbs. I'm always in the "overweight" category when my BMI number is calculated. The first time I saw this, I laughed out loud! Athletes definitely can't go by BMI.

That is really odd. I'm 5'3" and at 130 pounds I would be in the normal weight range, particularly for my age. I can't see how a height of 5'6" and weight of 130 pounds would put you in the overweight category; in fact, I just plugged it into the site I use and it came out in the normal range, even for someone in their 20's.

Well, anyway, I was quite a bit overweight when I started skating and my coach never said a word to me about it, nor did I expect him to since I'm an adult skater, although he probably wouldn't have said anything if I were a kid skater either. But since early May I have lost 33 pounds (using weightwatchers) and feel great, and my BMI is almost in the normal range. Once my weight loss became significant, my coach started commenting on it and complimenting me (which he still does). But of course it's not like he pressures me, he just is so happy to see me looking and feeling better, and to see my jumps improve as a result of it. (In fact, I would get little lectures about how I should be able to jump higher now! And he was right.) I still would like to lose 15-20 pounds, and I'm sure I will, slowly.

Pat
edited to add, shown below is the link for the BMI site that I use, for anyone who's interested
http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm

skaternum
10-29-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by sk8pics
That is really odd. I'm 5'3" and at 130 pounds I would be in the normal weight range, particularly for my age. I can't see how a height of 5'6" and weight of 130 pounds would put you in the overweight category; in fact, I just plugged it into the site I use and it came out in the normal range, even for someone in their 20's.

That is odd. When I use your calculator, I'm in the normal range. I used a calculator in my local newspaper before, when I was in the overweight range. (They were running an article about how overweight we are in America, and ran the calculator in a sidebar.) Weird.

Alexa
10-29-2003, 01:46 PM
Being 5'6" myself, every bmi calculator I have seen whether it be the formula, calculator, or a grid that shows the numbers, has shown somewhere around 155-157 or so as a BMI of around 25 for that height. So, you are definitely in the clear at 130!

Schmeck
10-29-2003, 08:21 PM
sk8pics, thanks for the link. According to that scale, I'm very underweight...

5'3", 109 lbs, which is the most I've ever weighed except when pregnant... And before I started skating 5 yrs ago, I only weighed 104 lbs.

About coaches and dieting - thank goodness our rink is very low key, although one girl on our synchro team was being pressured and embarrassed by her mother to lose weight during the season. But we kind of ganged up on the mom to let her know her daughter, although the largest in the group, was also one of the strongest, most dependable skaters, and was fine just the way she was!

Schmeck, off to eat more Halloween candy, LOL!

jenlyon60
10-30-2003, 05:00 AM
One comment from someone who has battled weight issues most of her adult life....

in some cases, as soon as an individual is being pressured or hounded about losing weight, it becomes extremely difficult...even with following the "rules" and exercising alot. I chalk it up to a biological subconscious reaction to stress.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt several times (the military can be very brutal about weight issues even if one is in a non deployable job...)

sk8pics
10-30-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Schmeck
sk8pics, thanks for the link. According to that scale, I'm very underweight...

5'3", 109 lbs, which is the most I've ever weighed except when pregnant... And before I started skating 5 yrs ago, I only weighed 104 lbs.

Schmeck, off to eat more Halloween candy, LOL!

You're welcome! But I have to say, I'm jealous! Actually, my best weight is probably around 122 pounds, which is what I weighed as an avid squash player, but I don't know if I can get back down to that again. I'd be thrilled with 130, and actually happy with 140 too (only 4 pounds to go!).

Pat

TashaKat
10-31-2003, 02:36 AM
Edited to delete my comments regarding the BMI .... with all due respect!

sk8pics
10-31-2003, 06:17 AM
With all due respect, the cautions about the BMI calculations not appyliying to athletes probably don't apply so strongly to most of us adults here. I would guess that you would have to be training several hours a day or have built up really a significant amount of muscle to be way off in the categories. I had muscle of course before I lost all this weight, but I was in the obese category (my BMI was over 30, and now it's less than 26), and if I'm being honest I'd have to agree with that.

I think the standards were revised a couple of years ago, and "obese" is defined a bit lower than previously. Sure, you can still have muscle and be relatively fit and be "labeled" as obese, and maybe you feel good but that doesn't mean a little weight loss wouldn't help you. (I'm speaking of "you" in general, not anyone specifically.) I think there's been such a strong relationship between ill health and being significantly overweight, that may be why some of the categories are redefined.

I guess for me, I like to look at where I fall in the range for a woman in my age group, but I'm not looking at my BMI to such a strong degree. I guess everyone has to decide for themselves.

Pat

ChristianeDK
10-31-2003, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Mel On Ice

YES! I always thought so too!!! Some of the things my coach wants me to do :roll: I can't move that way, sorry! But I'm too embarrased to say so... Only once have I mentioned this theory to others (my dad and my uncle) and it was so terrible because they dismissed the idea right away. "Of course that doesn't affect women's golf bla-bla!" What do they know?!!

Ranting over.

SDFanatic
10-31-2003, 07:47 PM
I don't have a big chest either :lol:, as for my BMI, I've actually lost a couple pounds over the past 2 weeks and I'm down to 162. That gives me a BMI of 24.6, but as I've said before, BMI is not a good indicator for anyone who is athletic.

Many people ask me if I notice a difference, and honestly, I do not. Yes I notice my calves are not flabby, yes I notice I don't have a noticable double chin, and yes I notice that my shirts and pants are too big. But for as how I feel? I still feel the same as I did before, honest.

I take the adivce that Starryskye said,

Originally posted by *Starryskye*
To anybody reading this who might worry about their weight...dont! Really, unless you are unhealthy and it is putting your health at risk...enjoy life and do the best you can with who you are, what you were given, and what you have.

Steven

Edited to add this also http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/bmi-means.htm

Mrs Redboots
11-03-2003, 11:22 AM
Well, speaking as one whose BMI measures her in the Obese category (and I don't think I am, just fat!), the only person who has issues with my weight is me! If I lose weight - and I'm sort-of trying to - it will be for my own reasons, not for anybody else's.

I can understand how easy it must be to get an eating disorder, especially if you are a bit of a perfectionist (as I tend to be). It's all too easy to blame everything that is wrong in your life on your weight, and that includes not being able to do certain skating skills. The hardest thing in the world is to accept yourself just the way you are - but, paradoxically, it's only through doing that that you can be free to do something about what is wrong! It took me enough years to learn that, and I still have trouble with it sometimes.....

climbsk8
11-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Let's face it...disorders like anorexia and bulimia are not about food, they're about control.

Overeating can be the same way...people feel like they need total control over what they put in their bodies, and how much of it.

Putting too much pressure on someone (and let's face it, teenagers and women are the most susceptible) can push them to exert this control. Coaches have a special responsibility to their skaters because of the influence they carry, in my opinion.

I personally am thrilled to see skaters like Yoshie Onda and Irina Slutskaya, who don't have "perfect" bodies, out there showing us all how it CAN be done. And let's not forget that judges are rewarding them, too...