View Full Version : I'm 23 year-old male, is it possible for me to do split?

skatetiludrop
07-29-2005, 01:20 AM
Hi all,
As we skaters know that flexibility is one of the main factors that makes our skating beautiful. As a male skater in his early twenties, I was wondering if it's still possible for me to be flexible enough to do split. I'm what my coach's described as 'oh-so-not-flexible'. Is there any way I can improve my flexiblity or perhaps, even better, do split?
Thanx all for your input :bow:

TashaKat
07-29-2005, 01:30 AM
There's no reason at all that you can't improve your flexibility. Whether or not you'll ever achieve a perfect split I can't answer I'm afraid.

Yoga classes, stretch for dance classes, all that kind of thing would be very helpful. You can also get books on stretching but I would get at least a couple of sessions with an instructor first so that you know how to warm up properly and how to do each stretch without injuring yourself!

Good luck :)

sceptique
07-29-2005, 03:12 AM
Look up this book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0938045288/qid=1122624379/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl/026-2672872-7383642) on Amazon. It has quite a few good tips and quite a fun to read (the guy has a verrrrry Russian sense of humor!)

I'm 32, can't do splits yet but the improvement in my flexibility in the past few months has been notable. In March I couldn't even thing about touching my knees with my forehead when bending down (or bending forward if sitting). No it's a sort of relaxation posture. The technique is painful, but efficient.

Casey
07-29-2005, 05:19 AM
I just turned 25 today and am working towards them myself by doing these stretches:

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~masrjb/Stretch/stretching_7.html

Yeah, it's going to take a *long* time, but I don't see why it's not possible.

Skate@Delaware
07-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Look up this book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0938045288/qid=1122624379/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl/026-2672872-7383642) on Amazon. It has quite a few good tips and quite a fun to read (the guy has a verrrrry Russian sense of humor!)

I'm 32, can't do splits yet but the improvement in my flexibility in the past few months has been notable. In March I couldn't even thing about touching my knees with my forehead when bending down (or bending forward if sitting). No it's a sort of relaxation posture. The technique is painful, but efficient.
I have his other book-The Naked Warrior; it's great. You're right about the humor! Check out The Naked Warrior if you want to learn to do one-legged squats (or one-arm, one-leg pushups) right now I can't do either....yet.

MQSeries
07-29-2005, 12:56 PM
How far can you go down now in your split attempt? (Try measuring from the floor up to your crotch). Try to find a partner and do partner stretches. Make sure your body is very warmed-up and loose. Taking martial art classes will also help, because they really emphasize stretching.

There's going to be limit though if you're not already limber and you are past your growth phase. I can do a full side split but only after I have vigorously warm-up my entire lower body for 15 minutes or more. For the front split I can come down to about 2 inches from the floor but can never completely touch it, regardless of how much I try. So I think that's the limit for me.

Chico
07-29-2005, 11:07 PM
I'm pretty flexible and have always been able to do the splits. I have known folks, not men though, who have worked hard on this and became much more flexible and split friendly. Somehow I gotta wonder if being male might make this harder. Maybe not...I don't know. Anyhow, my pals worked hard on becoming flexible with exercises. Do them before you skate, after you skate and when you watch t.v. The goal is to push yourself a little each time you try. A LITTLE. Hold your position, don't bounce and start out slowly. You should get a little further when warmed up. This takes time and is not an over-night occurance.

Chico
07-29-2005, 11:10 PM
Oh, I didn't mean it as a bad on being male. =-) I just was thinking it might be harder physically. On the whole I think women are more flexible than men. Good luck.

Shinn-Reika
07-30-2005, 01:16 AM
I would think it goes more to just plain genes. I've seen a ton of pretty flexible male dancers, and me and my cousin both do spilts equally well.

I think it's just that males are downplayed for being flexible. I mean biellmans, spirals, and laybacks aren't even required for men, yet I see men do them all the time.

CanAmSk8ter
07-30-2005, 02:25 PM
I just turned 25 today and am working towards them myself by doing these stretches:

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~masrjb/Stretch/stretching_7.html

Yeah, it's going to take a *long* time, but I don't see why it's not possible.

Happy birthday! Leos rock ;)

Hydroblade
07-31-2005, 03:10 PM
Well I'm also a male skater and am not on the flexible side of things either :giveup:

It is possible to improve your flexibility but depending on how flexible you already are, it may never be able to get down into a full split or it could take years. I have been working with flexibility stuff for a very long time and have improved greatly but not enough to do the splits.

I also think that their are many other ways to have beautiful skating to be flexible. So play around with your skills and see what works for you. mabey a split jump isn't for you but the stag might works quite nicley, like it does for me.

skatetiludrop
08-01-2005, 02:29 AM
Thanx all for your input. I really appreciate it.

Watch out for Skate Asia 2005 in Bangkok, Thailand. August 13-20, 2005! :D