View Full Version : skating gloves?

mikawendy
07-05-2002, 06:39 PM
:?: hi everyone, I was mikawendy on FSWorld (mostly a lurker but still incensed at how they handled the "transition"). Anyway, I'm new to skating (still learning crossovers) and was wondering if there are special gloves just for figure skaters? I think I read about them on the internet somewhere. If these so-called "skating gloves" exist, how are they different than regular winter gloves? (I wear the stretchy knit one-size-fits-most kind) Are they more padded?

tazsk8s
07-05-2002, 10:16 PM
No, the "skating" gloves I've seen are basically the same as your one-size-fits-most stretch knit gloves. I've given up paying $7 or 8 at the skate shop when I can stock up for $1 or 2 when they go on sale in the winter or on clearance in the spring!

Anita18
07-05-2002, 10:55 PM
Gloves are gloves. Don't spend extra on 'em if they're just gonna keep your hands warm like every other glove on the market. The most annoying thing about gloves is that I can never find them in the summer! They're all gone, except for in the sporting goods stores, and they're like $15 each there! 8O 8O 8O I've learned my lesson - next winter, I'm gonna stock up!

TashaKat
07-06-2002, 12:29 AM
[quote:0dac3d2b60="mikawendy"]:?: hi everyone, I was mikawendy on FSWorld (mostly a lurker but still incensed at how they handled the "transition"). Anyway, I'm new to skating (still learning crossovers) and was wondering if there are special gloves just for figure skaters? I think I read about them on the internet somewhere. If these so-called "skating gloves" exist, how are they different than regular winter gloves? (I wear the stretchy knit one-size-fits-most kind) Are they more padded?[/quote:0dac3d2b60]

Hi :)

Yes, don't pay a lot for them! They get lost, they get nicked, your coach borrows them (I'm sure my coach has a glove moutain at home) and forgets to give them back, you put your fingers through them, they STINK because you forget to take them out of your bag and wash them .......

You CAN get padded gloves but, for me, they're more trouble than they're worth! I found them uncomfortable and hot. I just use cheapo knitted things :) It's more the 'ice burns' that you get when you fall on bare hands than anything else so the knitted things are more than adequate.

Good luck with your skating, come across to the practise/lessons thread and let us know how you're going on :)

L x

jasmine
07-06-2002, 02:53 AM
I only wear gloves if it's VERY cold, but then I like the "thermal glove liners" that you can buy in outdoors suppliers fairly cheaply. They are warm, wash and dry quicly and squash up small in your pocket.

Aussie Willy
07-07-2002, 06:03 PM
Well I prefer fingerless gloves because then you can still tie your boots, blow your nose and do other things without having to take your gloves off. They are just simple woollen gloves that I have worn for years. I get them cheap at my local department store (in Australia).

jenlyon60
07-07-2002, 08:38 PM
I used to wear the fingerless gloves that were so popular when Madonna and folk wore them in videos back in the mid to late 80s. Those were nice because they were made fingerless, vice just cutting the fingers off.

I rarely wear gloves now, but when the rink is super cold, I occasionally pull out a pair.

I stocked up at Target the end of winter when they had their cheap stretchy gloves marked down to $1 per pair.

garyc254
07-08-2002, 10:30 AM
I prefer wearing the cheapy knit gloves, but I particularly like the ones that are speckled with little rubber grip dots versus the plain knit. I occasionally ice dance and I find it helps my grip.

I don't like skating without gloves. They really help when I fall.

As mentioned before, Target, Kmart, etc are the best places to buy them, but only in the winter. If you're really stuck for gloves now, you can order some from www.rainbosportsshop.com (notice there is no "w" in rainbo).

I buy three or four pair at a time and keep an extra pair in my bag. I'm forever catching the fingers on my toepick while putting my blade guards on and causing the fingertips to fray. When I do snag one, I turn them over to Mom (she's 70) for a quick stitch repair. :lol:

flo
07-08-2002, 11:41 AM
With pairs I don't wear any, on my own I like the "magic stretch" gloves. I buy several pairs for around a dollar a pair. On my birthday I buy a couple dozen and give them to the kids at the rink for their birthday surprise. I do it on my birthday because I can't remember all of their birthdays but I can remember mine. When they get holes in the fingers (and aren't lost by then) I use them for dusting.

Mrs Redboots
07-08-2002, 12:02 PM
[quote:e5c2620f8d="flo"]With pairs I don't wear any, on my own I like the "magic stretch" gloves. I buy several pairs for around a dollar a pair. On my birthday I buy a couple dozen and give them to the kids at the rink for their birthday surprise. I do it on my birthday because I can't remember all of their birthdays but I can remember mine. When they get holes in the fingers (and aren't lost by then) I use them for dusting.[/quote:e5c2620f8d]

What a lovely idea - so much nicer than the usual chocolate or cake! I have my birthday in the middle of the summer, when the gloves aren't available, but I might stock up for Christmas! I did give several pairs to family and friends a year or so ago.

I don't wear gloves for normal skating, only if it is really cold, and sometimes at dance club if I get cold hanging about. I do keep a pair of magic gloves in my skate bag, just in case. I like the kind with the different-coloured fingers best!

flippet
07-08-2002, 11:17 PM
[quote:93af55dffd="Mrs Redboots"]I like the kind with the different-coloured fingers best![/quote:93af55dffd]

Mm-hmm...me too.! :) (Apparently we're not the only ones...at AN, I left my wonderful, elbow-length, striped 'glovies' (as I call the stretchy knit gloves) sitting next to my husband while I went to the restroom....while I was gone, someone nicked them. :evil: )

jazzpants
07-09-2002, 12:13 AM
Oh, boy!!! You guys from RSSIR are gonna love hearing about my other unique skatewear accessory (besides black skates and jazzpants, instead of white figure skates and skating dresses!!!) My gloves are weight lifting gloves with the wrist straps on it and a little bit of gel in it. Though the gel lining is not gonna cushion my falls, I'm less likely going to sprain my wrists because of the wrist straps. Also, unless I break a hole into the gloves, I'm not likely to get "ice bites!!!" :D

Alas, the one minus...the finger tips are expose to the cold! For that I just wear a big wool glove over it! :D

As for cost... they are weight lifting gloves...and when I workout at the gym I do weight training... :D Well worth the extra money for that extra insurance to help make sure I don't sprain my wrist. :)

Cheers,
jazzpants