View Full Version : Field moves

ice-princess
07-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Does anybody know what the NISA field move requirements are for levels 3, 4 and 5? Can't find them anywhere on the web :roll: which is really annoying.
Plus my coach is on holiday :evil: so can't ask her.

Thanks in advance for your help :D :bow:

Mrs Redboots
07-23-2005, 12:18 PM
Do you mean Dance moves or Field moves? Only the field moves don't yet correspond to the numbered levels - they still go Novice, Preliminary, inter-Bronze, Bronze and inter-Silver. NISA is planning to change them, but keeps putting it off!

I only know Novice & Prelim, or the dance moves. I know inter-Bronze Field Moves contains back cross-rolls, and one-footed slaloms (which our American friends call "Edge pulls") but not sure what else.

BelleOnIce
07-23-2005, 12:26 PM
The first InterBronze one is holding a forward outside edge then changing on to a forward inside edge on the same foot, then u step on to your other foot in a forward inside edge switching on to forward inside edge. Usually doing about 3 up the centre of ice and back down.
Then there are double three turns inside edge, then double three turns outside edge.
The one foot slaloms and back cross rolls as Mrs Redboots said and lastly there are backwards double threes in a circle, one circle on each foot.

Atleast I think these are the right ones?
As soon as I passed the last lot of field moves (inter silver) I stopped practising them in any order!

If it isnt the inter bronze I will try and remember the prelim ones for you!
Belle

Mrs Redboots
07-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Prelim I do know:

FO edges, done slightly "figures fashion" in that they must be semi-circles, you start with your free leg extended, then bring it in to your heel, and then extend it forward at the end of the semi-circle.
FI edges, done similarly
BO edges, done similarly
I think you have to do no more than 4-6 of each up each side, from a moving start, then crossovers or runs round the end, and then repeat the other side.
BI edges, which are done with no push at all, and no extension - you use the edge to increase speed. Again, you do back crossovers round the end of the rink.
Forward cross-rolls
Back cross-cuts
(I am not sure what order the Moves are in).

Not that I'm going to test Prelim, although I have most of the moves to pass standard! I want to do Level 3 Dance Moves, which is just back cross-cuts and back cross-rolls. Not yet at pass standard, but not looking as impossible as once they did!

NickiT
07-23-2005, 01:04 PM
I've passed my Inter-Bronze and am working on my Bronze (sometimes!!!).

For Inter-Bronze-
1) Change of edge - three changes of edge down each side of the rink.
2) Consecutive forward outside three turns.
3) Forward Inside three turn followed by a crossover.
4) Back outside three turn / mohawk in a figure of 8.
5) One foot slaloms - four lengths of the rink - forwards and backwards on each foot.
6) Backward cross-rolls.

It was a while ago that I did these so they may not be posted in the correct order, but I'm sure that's right.

For Bronze (which are 100 times harder and more scary than inter-bronze)
1) Forward double three turns - outside down one side, inside down the other.
2) Backward outside double threes in a figure of 8.
3) Backward inside double threes in a figure of 8.
4) Step sequence - mohwak (I think closed), back crossover, back inside three, swing forward into next one.
5) Choctaws - both sides, one way on side one, and the other on side two.
6) Brackets.

I've hardly done these since changing coach three months ago. I must ask my coach to help me get back into them as they are getting extremely scary again through not doing them.

I can't help you on the last set (inter-silver) as I'm nowhere near these yet!

Nicki

2loop2loop
07-23-2005, 01:33 PM
For inter-silver

1. One back crossover followed by a BO edge , change of edge then BI double three. Crossover the other way and repeat on the other foot.

2. FI mohawk to BI edge, change edge then BO double three, step to FO change feet to another FI mohawk in the other direction.

3. Back crossover to BI rocker to FI, choctaw back to BO - crossover then another rocker-choctaw, then a back crossroll followed by a back crossover in the opposite direction to continue on the other foot. (Hope that is clear - basically it is back cross-rocker-back cross-rocker crossroll and repeat going the other way)

4. FI mohawk then a slip step from BI to FI repeated for a whole circle, then repeated in the other direction.

5. Fast continuous closed choctaws for an entire diagonal of the rink FI-BO-FI-BO.

6. (Is there a sixth? I think there are only five for inter-silver).

John

sceptique
08-03-2005, 11:28 AM
Thanks everyone! I was looking for the same info as well.

What about NISA Novice Moves? What are those?

Also, are UK moves tests very different from US ones? I've got US instructional video, for the lack of anything better, and try to practice moves from the tape during my warm-ups. Just wonder if it can be any indication of what I should expect during NISA tests.

NickiT
08-03-2005, 12:51 PM

What about NISA Novice Moves? What are those?

Also, are UK moves tests very different from US ones? I've got US instructional video, for the lack of anything better, and try to practice moves from the tape during my warm-ups. Just wonder if it can be any indication of what I should expect during NISA tests.

I'm trying to remember these - my daughter passed these back in December and I can't believe I've forgotten them already! From what I recall they were:-

forward perimeter skating
one side of forward outside edges
one side of forward inside edges
forward spirals - left then right on one side of the rink and same again on the other
a circle of backward crossovers into a landing position - both ways

I think that's all.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
08-04-2005, 06:15 AM

What about NISA Novice Moves? What are those?They are the first level of Field Moves tests. Batikat has given you the list of what's involved. We also have separate Dance Moves tests (although if you take one you don't have to take the other); these do coincide with the other test levels. Sometime (this year, next year, sometime, never....) NISA is going to change them all to Skating Moves, which will coincide with the other test levels, there will only be one test, taken by all skaters, and there will be four elements in each test (unlike now with 6 elements in the Field Moves and only two in the Dance Moves). Which is why I'm hoping to get my level 3 Dance Moves before that happens (and maybe my level 4, but that's not going to be any time soon!).

Also, are UK moves tests very different from US ones? I've got US instructional video, for the lack of anything better, and try to practice moves from the tape during my warm-ups. Just wonder if it can be any indication of what I should expect during NISA tests.Yes, they are different. Not necessarily easier or harder, overall, just different. You will need to work on them with a teacher, so that you can see what's wanted. All our moves take up a whole lap of the rink, or at the very least a side (and you do something different down the side nearest the judges, which is considered part of the same move - outside or inside edges, for instance in Novice Moves, or inside-to-outside changes of edge instead of outside-to inside in Level 2 Dance Moves) and you do crossovers around the ends. Except Novice moves, where you start the forwards inside and outside edges from a standstill.

Hope this helps.

2loop2loop
08-04-2005, 10:49 AM
For inter-silver

6. (Is there a sixth? I think there are only five for inter-silver).

John

Quoting myself here, but there is a sixth move at inter-silver. Double footed rockers. Two footed slalom ie LFO+RFI to LFI+RFO double rocker to LBI+RBO to LBO+RBI double rocker to LFO+RFI repeated for the length of the rink. Then a second length of the rink with the turns in the opposite direction.

John

Mrs Redboots
08-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Quoting myself here, but there is a sixth move at inter-silver. Double footed rockers. Two footed slalom ie LFO+RFI to LFI+RFO double rocker to LBI+RBO to LBO+RBI double rocker to LFO+RFI repeated for the length of the rink. Then a second length of the rink with the turns in the opposite direction.

JohnThose are relatively do-able - it's those closed Choctaws that are UTTERLY EVIL..... I was watching one of my coach's pupils being introduced to them on Tuesday morning.... poor child....

2loop2loop
08-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Those are relatively do-able - it's those closed Choctaws that are UTTERLY EVIL..... I was watching one of my coach's pupils being introduced to them on Tuesday morning.... poor child....

I remember when I tested my inter-silver field moves. I could do the choctaws on one side, but the other side was completely hopeless and I wasn't feeling particularly optimistic about the test. Amazingly on the morning of the test I suddenly discovered that I could do them just about passably on my bad side. In the test I had to reskate them and they weren't pretty, but everything else was good enough to hold me up and I passed. Immediately after the test I couldn't do them for love nor money. Even now I can do them both ways, but I still don't like doing them in my bad direction.

It seems that every field move test has one element that seems far more difficult than all the others. The brackets at bronze level spring to mind. I still don't like those!

John