View Full Version : Smells....

jamie_rae352
10-21-2003, 10:21 AM
What does ice smell like? It's been bugging me for DAYS!!!!!

CoolbugSuz
10-21-2003, 10:43 AM
LOL! Depends on where you skate! Most of the time the rink I skate at smells like normal ice, but on certain days, when the Columbus Blue Jackets NHL hockey team has a hard practice before public skate, it smells like sweat! LOL!

Suz

RMluver
10-21-2003, 12:52 PM
This is kinda off topic but one of my friends that plays hockey told me that it's bad luck for hockey players to wash their equipment( i don't think that includes their jerseys.. i hope!) I was just like mmm... YuMM:?? lol! I've never smelled the ice before but i'm skating tonight so if i remember i'll "fall"... but wouldn't it just smell like water, which doesn't smell at all?(usually) lol!

Caitlin :halo:

MissIndigo
10-21-2003, 04:43 PM
The rink where I skated as a kid always smelled like chlorine, so that would be my answer...chlorine.

Mel On Ice
10-21-2003, 05:21 PM
if I'm in the trippy mood, it also smells of Downy as my rear hits the ice and my clothes momentarily freeze to the ice.

blurrysarah
10-21-2003, 05:59 PM
It smells like a refrigerator, a really really big one.

dbny
10-21-2003, 07:38 PM
The water used to make ice in arenas is as pure as a facility can afford to get it, and pure water is colorless and odorless, as is the ice made from it. In our less than perfect world, however, there are lots of things that could be in the water, and thus in the ice. Add to that the odor of any refrigerant that may have leaked into the water and any pollutants from the zamboni etc, and you will have some kind of smell. Just a matter of what is there that shouldn't be.

Jade
10-21-2003, 08:30 PM
well sometimes it smells like salt lol!

Chico
10-21-2003, 10:58 PM
Damp.

Fumes from the zamboni.

Stinky hockey players.

Chico

Mrs Redboots
10-22-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Chico
Damp.

Fumes from the zamboni.

Stinky hockey players.

Chico And what does Chico smell like? (Sorry, couldn't resist).

DB, I thought they added something to the water they use to make the ice? I know once my husband slipped and fell on a day when the ice had only just been made, and was still wet, and he had white marks all down his front until I washed his trackie. And we were told that was from the chemicals in the water.

dbny
10-22-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
DB, I thought they added something to the water they use to make the ice? I know once my husband slipped and fell on a day when the ice had only just been made, and was still wet, and he had white marks all down his front until I washed his trackie. And we were told that was from the chemicals in the water.

I always thought so too, but in operations class, they taught us that the purest water makes the best ice, which makes sense because any impurities raise the freezing point. It could be that if the ice was very thin, your husband picked up some of the white paint that goes over the first few layers of ice (don't remember right now how much ice they put down before painting).

garyc254
10-22-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by dbny
they taught us that the purest water makes the best ice

So it IS okay for the learn-to-skate kids to eat the ice shavings. :lol:

jazzpants
10-22-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by blurrysarah
It smells like a refrigerator, a really really big one. If my rink smells anything like my fridge.... EWWWWW!!! (Must clean fridge... too many biological experiments...) :( :evil:

Depends on the rink for me. My home rink smells like water. My weekend rink smells like DAMP...and sometimes gas.

Chico
10-22-2003, 08:31 PM
Perfume and sweat I'm guessing. More one than the other at the end of the session.

Chico

SDFanatic
10-22-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by garyc254
So it IS okay for the learn-to-skate kids to eat the ice shavings. :lol:

If you ask me, I would say no, especially if hockey was on it at any time, they spit all over the place, and one guy on a public session one day was leaving yellow globs all over the place, some people I tell ya! I'm sure glad I didn't fall that day!

For two days the rink did smell like chlorine, and today it stank like sweat, and was much worse on the locker room side, icky!

Steven

mousey
10-24-2003, 10:19 PM
i love the 'cold' smell of the rink. but that only happens if there hasnt been any hockey at the rink for the day. if there has, the rink smells BAD!!!