View Full Version : Here's one for the stupid injury file...

CanAmSk8ter
10-16-2003, 08:24 PM
I managed to cut myself tying my skates this morning. :roll: Yes, tying my skates. I actually cut myself on my laces. One of the little plastic bits was half broken off, and as I went to tighten the lace, it slipped through my fingers and the jagged edge on the aglet cut my finger.

Do I win the Idiotic Injury prize for this year? I must win it at least for this month ;)

rinsk
10-16-2003, 08:51 PM
I don't know... I fell over stretching on the boards earlier this month (put my leg up and leaned into the stretch the way I always do, lost my balance and toppled off - at least everyone else was amused for the day). We may have to flip a coin or share the prize or something.

Jess-ka
10-16-2003, 08:52 PM
uhm i am known for falling down for no reason...like standing still on the ice and my coach will turn around to show me something and when he turns back around to face me i am on the ice....no one knows how i manage to do this. that and my friend once sprained her ankle triping over her own skate bag.

sk8er1964
10-16-2003, 09:38 PM
I have two items for the stupid injury file - one was really minor (happened today) and the other took about a month to heal:

At the rink I skated at today, I change in a locker room. While I leave my bag and stuff in the main lobby, I take my skates with me into the locker room because things have been known to disappear (and my fellow adult skaters were all gone). So today, after skating, I picked up my skates by the soaker-covered blades, and promptly banged one of the blades into my leg. As it turns out, there is a hole in the end of the soaker....yes, small cut on my leg.

The second was earlier this year at the same rink. I was doing a one-foot hockey stop at the rink exit to go put on my music. Hit a rut and flew off of my skate and into the edge of the door. Bruised my upper arm quite well. I don't do one-foot hockey stops when leaving the ice anymore :D .

MissIndigo
10-16-2003, 09:52 PM
Last summer my right hand had to be cast for a stress injury, unrelated to skating. The day that this was to be done was my first day of skate camp, and what was the first thing that I did? Step on the ice with my guards and slice my right palm with my blade. That had to be dressed before the cast went on! :roll:

Mrs Redboots
10-17-2003, 02:39 AM
I took a chunk out of my finger last night, I think it was when I was running a stone over my blades (they are in dire need of being sharpened, but NOT just before a competition - they go next Tuesday!). It's not bad, but it did sting when I was peeling tomatoes for our salad later on!

SDFanatic
10-17-2003, 07:15 AM
I cut my finger open tightining the cap on a water bottle, there was a sliver of plastic on the seam, came out just like a paper cut and hurt just as much.

Steven

NickiT
10-17-2003, 07:42 AM
I sprained my ankle badly during warm up before I'd even stepped on the ice earlier this year. We figured that if I could do that much damage before I even took to the ice, there was little hope for me really!

Nicki

dani
10-17-2003, 09:49 AM
At least mine was on the ice - I was skating the 10-fox with my coach, and in the corner he told me to look over my left shoulder and before I knew it I was on the ice. Seemed innocent to me. He said he halfway expected it - geez - thanks for the warning! ;-) At least he kept me from skating into the boards!

Good luck with everyone healing! ;-)

Hugs!
Danielle

Madame Saccoche
10-17-2003, 10:05 AM
Stepping on the ice with your guards on....

Come on people, 'fess up, I know I'm not the only one here!

jazzpants
10-17-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Madame Saccoche
Stepping on the ice with your guards on....

Come on people, 'fess up, I know I'm not the only one here! Hesitantly raises right hand... :D (No physical harm done, unless you count a bruised ego from all the laughing and ragging in the Monday night session crowd?) :lol:

Mrs Redboots
10-17-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by NickiT
I sprained my ankle badly during warm up before I'd even stepped on the ice earlier this year. We figured that if I could do that much damage before I even took to the ice, there was little hope for me really! Oh, I dunno - my coach broke a bone in his foot doing a 3-jump off-ice.....

blurrysarah
10-17-2003, 11:52 AM
I haven't done it with the plastic guards, but I stepped on the ice with my right soaker still on once. I put my left foot down, pushed onto my right foot - splat.

1lutz2klutz
10-17-2003, 02:46 PM
Count me in on the skate guard club. Only I was also holding my rule book, with the ring binders open because I was removing a page of the patterns. Naturally, as I fell, I was then covered by the pages that were falling all over the ice like snow...:oops:

Figureskates
10-17-2003, 05:38 PM
Ah yes, the guards on the ice routine.

Did it at Lake Placid last summer at the Lussi Rink, getting ready for an adult group lesson.

Rolled over on my back and took the guards off loooking like a beached turtle.

Result bruised self-esteem, a really big bruise on my elbow and my right hip.

Banged my head on an open locker door today....real swift!!

Mrs Redboots
10-18-2003, 09:37 AM
I haven't done guards on the ice yet, but both husband and daughter have.

My favourite fall didn't happen to me, but to a friend whose coach required her to skate around with a plastic cup of water balanced on each hand, to improve her grace on the ice. Needless to say, the inevitable happened, and the result was one soaked skater, who didn't know whether to shriek with rage or with laughter. Nobody else was in any doubt whatsoever..... :D

Elsy2
10-18-2003, 10:34 AM
They say that you will only step on the ice with guards one time....and then will learn your lesson. Not so with me :roll: But I am getting much better. Last time I did this, I didn't fall! I stepped, started slipping away, and had enough balance to grab the board and get off without a fall. That's progress!

Now think of that Kurt Browning routine he does with guards on.....amazing!

jp1andOnly
10-18-2003, 11:03 AM
i slammed my thumb in the penalty box door. Owie! I also picked my leg with my toepick and didnt realize I had done it until osmeone told me i had blood on my tights.

jazzpants
10-20-2003, 10:40 AM
I'll add one to the stupid injury file... (minor scratches and bruises... more bruised ego than anything else...)

My LFO3 is gone again and I'm struggling to get it back to the point where I go on the wall to do it. Some kid decided to just go under me to get around me :x. Soooo, I used the wall to break a fall and save myself... :D

NOT SO FAST!!! :evil: The wall in this case is a side door and it wasn't latched on properly, so instead the door opens and I fall through the door entry onto the rubber mats instead! But ironically, I wasn't hurt. Just looks very dopey!!! :roll: