View Full Version : What do you do (if you do) for cardio training?

mikawendy
10-15-2003, 11:43 AM
How do you all (if you do) do your cardiovascular training? What's your regimen, and how often a week?

Before I started skating, I ran about 3 days per week, 2-3 miles per session. Now that I'm skating about 3 days a week, I have only 2 days for cardio training if I'm to give myself one day completely off and one day for Pilates. I feel like my cardiovascular conditioning has suffered as a result--I don't feel like I'm getting the intensity or amount of cardio training that I was used to.

I don't do any cardio training on-ice--I find that it's hard to get to my target heart rate and stay there for at least 20 minutes. Also, when I'm at the rink, I'm concentrating on working on my elements, which sometimes means stopping and starting (e.g., to figure out what I'm doing wrong and fix it, or to get out of the way of someone doing a program). Do any of you do cardio training on ice?

Thanks!

LoopLoop
10-15-2003, 11:55 AM
I don't do a whole lot of cardio training per se because I don't particularly like it. I ride my bike outside when I can; otherwise I force myself to ride a bike at the gym once a week or so. At the rink I take a power stroking class once a week which is good.

Alexa
10-15-2003, 12:40 PM
Even if I skated more often than I do right now, I would still want to keep up workouts outside of skating. Like you, I don't feel like I really get an aerobic workout on the ice, or at least not one that keeps the heart rate up for a long period of time.

My usual workouts are a mix of walking, aerobics, light strength training, yoga, and pilates. I always try to do some form of cardio and then also do weights, yoga, or pilates.

Personally I think it is a good idea to do some cardio off ice, as weight bearing exercise like walking, running, etc are very good for your body. With skating, even if you get your heartrate up you are utilizing more of a pushing/sliding motion--and not moving your body a lot--unless you are doing a lot of power skating/advanced moves, etc.

However, for those that only have time for ice skating, it is still great exercise and overall can be a sufficient work out if done frequently.

Quarkiki--are you still running? I had read on this board that you started running and wondered if you still are doing it/still enjoy it, etc. How is it going?

Terri C
10-15-2003, 03:10 PM
For cardio, I will jump rope and use the ecilptical trainer at the gym. At the rink it's MIF, MIF, and more MIF!

CanAmSk8ter
10-15-2003, 07:38 PM
I do 20-25 minute sessions on the elliptical trainer at my gym 4 or 5 days a week. I used to run, but I've been having knee problems off and on for about a year and the first thing my coach told me when it started was absolutely no running on cement. I like running outdoors and my old high school has one of those kind of rubbery tracks, but it's a pain to get there, especially this time of year when it's dark so early. My gym is on campus at the Uni, so it's easy enough for me to go there. I agree that trying to do cardio on ice isn't really practical. What I do see a lot of skaters do on ice is stroke for a minute or two minutes, or maybe do a certain number of laps, after doing a run-through.

Sk8Bunny
10-15-2003, 11:33 PM
Dont you just love the elipitcal machine?
I used to jog daily for about 2 miles, and then I found out my gym had one of these and started using it! It is so much easier on the bones and joints than running on pavement and I find myself getting a much better workout. I just to go on this machine for 30 minutes, 3 -4 times a week, but when school started, i hardly get to the gym once a week. =(
Thats about all i do for cardio training. i do lift weights tho, but i dont think thats cardio.

NickiT
10-16-2003, 02:28 AM
I don't manage to do any other form of exercise than skating, but then I'm skating about 8.5 hours per week. I skate alternate days and feel that I need to take a bit of care due to my hip problem. I'm very tempted to take up running as I don't feel my lung capacity is very good, but I'm afraid of overdoing things and putting more pressure on my already damaged hip joint (I have arthritis in the joint as a result of a twisted pelvis and leg length difference). I do suffer a bit after I skate so feel that the days in between when I don't exercise are best kept as recovering/rest days. Also of course being a busy mum I find there just aren't enough hours in the day to do anymore stuff for me!

Nicki

Moto Guzzi
10-16-2003, 10:30 AM
My physical therapist recommends doing off-ice cardio because skating doesn't keep your heart rate up at a continuous pace. In addition to skating, I do 30 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes on the treadmill 4 times a week, 30 minutes on the elliptical and 60 minutes weight training 3 times a week, 60 minutes swimming twice a week, and 20 - 30 minutes of stretching nearly every day. I try to walk every day at lunchtime, too. According to my cardio test last month, my heart is in great shape!

PattyP
10-16-2003, 02:25 PM
I took a little 26.2 mile jog last Sunday for my cardio workout ;)

Yes, I just completed my first full Marathon in 4:05!

I started running just to lose some weight and improve my cardio for skating. I became addicted to it the same way I did with skating.

Before starting my marathon training, which added up to over 40 miles per week, I would run 3-4 days a week for a total of 20-25 miles. This has made the biggest improvement in my skating. I dropped 15 pounds and saw a huge increase in my stamina. I skate fewer hours per week and seem to accomplish more (quality over quantity). My coach is thrilled with the results. (However she was not so thrilled with the impact of my marathon training which did take away too much time from my skating.)

If you have not run much before, start slow as you can injure your knees.

Patty

wannask8
10-16-2003, 09:27 PM
For those whose joints aren't up to running or even serious walking, swimming can be a good alternative if you have access to a decent pool and time to rinse off the chlorine afterward, although laps can be quite dull. I'm a strong swimmer, but I can get my heart rate up -- and keep it up -- pretty easily in the pool.

-- wannask8

Mrs Redboots
10-17-2003, 02:30 AM
The only trouble with that, Wannask8, is that skating and swimming don't really mix, as you use your muscles differently. My coach says, if you are going to do both, always skate first, swim afterwards, or you'll do nothing on the ice!

I find I get my exercise from skating; if I swim, which I do less and less often nowadays, it's to get a really good stretch-out after skating.

My coach said, in my last lesson, "Get your breath back!", and I pointed out to him that I wasn't actually that out of breath, although I was breathing quite heavily - it was more a matter of skating aerobically. "Oh good," he said, "Very good for you!" Like I didn't know that.....

wannask8
10-17-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
The only trouble with that, Wannask8, is that skating and swimming don't really mix, as you use your muscles differently. My coach says, if you are going to do both, always skate first, swim afterwards, or you'll do nothing on the ice

You are right -- I can't imagine doing the pool and the rink the same day, if for no other reason than once I've been in the water a while, the rink would seem much too cold. I only skate once a week, though, so it's not an issue for me.

-- wannask8

LWalsh
10-20-2003, 10:39 AM
I skate 3 days a week right now and I also agree that it really is not enough to keep you in good shape.

I started taking an aerobics class at my gym three times a week about five weeks ago. I can see a difference in my skating as well as on the scale . Aerobics classes are also good for the fast twitch muscle response needed in skating.

96.23??
10-20-2003, 02:24 PM
Last year was my last hardcore swimming year and I found skating and swimming on the same day wasn't bad, I would usually swim for 1 and a half hours, then do half an hour of dryland and then go to skating practice right after.

This year I started to focus more on skating, I found that with swimming my endurance has improved tremendously. I still swim three times a week now (cutting down from 5-6), and I do pilates once a week.

skatepixie
10-20-2003, 07:16 PM
I dont do it....

jazzpants
10-20-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by wannask8
For those whose joints aren't up to running or even serious walking, swimming can be a good alternative if you have access to a decent pool and time to rinse off the chlorine afterward, although laps can be quite dull. I'm a strong swimmer, but I can get my heart rate up -- and keep it up -- pretty easily in the pool.

-- wannask8 I have another alternative to running and walking...the elliptical trainer! Of course, based on my experience, I would suggest you do them AFTER skating ...and preferably NOT on the same day!

x_peacegirl_x
10-22-2003, 01:50 PM
i do three cardio sessions a week. two long forty minute session (either off or on ice) and one interval training session off ice. it's good to use different machines, particularly the stair master and stationary bike. i also do back to back long programs twice a week. you need to do cardio! but you shouldn't run for more than twenty minutes on hard cement because of the strain and pounding that it involves on your body. :)

mikawendy
11-13-2003, 05:19 PM
Hi, everyone, thanks for your great replies! I've been busy lately and didn't get a chance to post and thank you for all of the info.
--mikawendy

kayskate
11-14-2003, 02:27 PM
Aerobics. It builds stamina, reduces excess weight, and helps coordination. During the summer, I distance roller skate outdoors.

Kay