View Full Version : I came, I skated...

Mel On Ice
10-13-2003, 11:41 AM
... and I failed my bronze MIF test. :(

My problems started with first, having a head cold. When I get head colds, my ears fill up and my head feels stuffed with cotton. I also get a bad case of dry mouth, since I cannot breathe through my nose.

I also practiced like a fiend, and was up at 5:30 to make it to practice by 6:30am. The test was at 7pm on Saturday night! Even though I took a nap and some cold medicine, I don't doubt I was a bit fatigued going into the test.

I did the first two patterns without problem. I felt fast, smooth, elegant, all that stuff. Then fatigue set in during power 3s, one of my weaker patterns. The first set of lobes were smooth, but I was surprised at how quickly I did them, then I noticed they weren't a big as I am used to doing them. Uh-oh. I tried to over-compensate on the next set of lobes, but they too were too small. Yikes, maybe that would be ok?

Next up was the back crosses to outside edges. I felt fluid and smooth on those, and felt like I passed. Ok, back in the saddle!

Then came the 5 step mohawk sequence. My left leg began to shake and I suddenly noticed how cold it was in the rink. I was also panting like I had run a marathon and my nose started to run. I started the pattern anyway, counting "1,2,3,4,5" in my head as I paced out the steps. My last lobe on the first line was horrible, but I was so far from the judge, I was hoping he wouldn't notice. I did crossovers back to the new line and my left leg wouldn't stop shaking. I put on my game face and finished the pattern, even though I was pretty sure by now that I blew it.

I got off the ice and waited for the news. I passed the first two patterns, with the only recommendation being that I speed them up. I failed the next three: power 3s on the basis of shallow lobes; backward crossovers to outside edges on basis of power; and five step on the basis that they sucked. :P

Still, I was only I think 2/10 from passing, so it wasn't all that bad. It was a learning experience anyway. What was great was how calm I was before it, and how I wasn't nervous until right before I was ready for my warmup. I was my coach's first adult MIF testor, so neither one of us knew what to expect. I wasn't until I crawled up into the stands to see others testing the 5-step that I saw what I really needed to do. I was attempting to do the pattern in small, quick lobes, with about 5-6 lobes per side. Testers who passed did them in large, smooth lobes of only 3 per side.

I was optimistic and examining how I could better do next time on Saturday night, woke up hating skating Sunday morning and wanting to quit, but was back in the saddle and laughing over it at synchro practice Sunday night.

Live and learn.

garyc254
10-13-2003, 11:59 AM
Susan told me about your test last night, Mel. Sorry to hear you didn't pass.....

BUT.....

The good news is that you knew what was good and bad in your patterns before you saw the scores. You identified the trouble areas and can now work on them.

Next time, you'll ace it. :D :D :D

Mel On Ice
10-13-2003, 12:22 PM
thanks Gary. Sue and Joyce were so supportive. Really, the whole team was.

I want to skate tonight, but I think after a cold and about 10+ hours of skating over the extended weekend, I will take a pass on tonight. I will join you guys next Monday though!

sk8er1964
10-13-2003, 01:01 PM
Sorry you didn't pass, Mel, but you sure do have the right attitude about it!!!

I had the same type of fatigue on my Gold MIF that you had -- by the time I got to the last move (the brackets), my legs were shaking and I couldn't do the turns. Fortunately I got a reskate on them and was able to do them after a rest.

Before the Gold test I did the same thing that you did - pushed to get in every last minute of practice on them. I was just plain tired, what with the pushing combined with the nerves from testing MIF's for the first time...

So, I learned something, and it worked very well for my Intermediate test - don't push too hard at the end! I think that you are probably not going to learn anything new anyway, and you will just end up tiring yourself out. Instead of pushing, I did my normal sessions - just added a couple of lessons to make sure I was on the right track - and I had no fatigue problems at all.

Good luck next time!!!

garyc254
10-13-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Mel On Ice
I will join you guys next Monday though!

We'll be lookin' for you. :D

NickiT
10-13-2003, 02:40 PM
Sounds like you didn't do too badly and you know what you need to work on now for the next time. You're sure to pass next time so hang in there!

Nicki

Michigansk8er
10-13-2003, 03:13 PM
Mel,

Sorry to hear you didn't pass, but three cheers for getting out there and trying!!!!! :) You'll get it next time!!!!

Lutzgirl
10-13-2003, 03:31 PM
aww 2 bad!:( try again next time! I know you will pass then! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

wannask8
10-13-2003, 08:02 PM
Mel, you get snaps just for being there, let alone doing as well as you did -- I can't imagine competing under these circumstances! You'll get 'em next time . . .

-- wannask8

flippet
10-13-2003, 09:34 PM
Bummer, Mel! Good on you for trying, though...I've got a similar cold at the moment, and can't imagine skating and keeping my balance through it! 8O

MissIndigo
10-13-2003, 10:01 PM
*hugs to Mel*

Congrats anyway for giving it a shot. At best, you pass. At the other extreme, it's a learning experience. I've taken to viewing the latter during testing in order to help put skating and testing into perspective in my life.

I have failed this test twice, once by only a little and the second time miserably (but an ill-deserved failure according to my coaches and experienced skaters at the rink--looooong story there), so I know how you must feel. But you get up and try again, you know?

I was attempting to do the pattern in small, quick lobes, with about 5-6 lobes per side. Testers who passed did them in large, smooth lobes of only 3 per side.

This is surprising and interesting. Were these also adult testers? My coach stresses that I should complete five lobes (although I have to squeak in the last one--I almost run out of room with the power she wants me to put in it!).

Overall, I'm not too happy with the elements in the Bronze test. Well, let me rephrase that by saying that I am fine with the elements themselves, but that the test seems unbalanced. This test is all about power, power, power (or my coach really wants me to skate fast! :D ), compared to Silver for example, where there seems to be more of a balance of power and edge control/quality. Anyone else think so?

I'll have hopes for you that you'll pass next time! Perseverance and patience are virtues when it comes to these tests...:)

Mrs Redboots
10-14-2003, 07:21 AM
Well, I'm sorry you didn't pass, but I'm glad you know what went wrong, and what you need to work on. Were the judges helpful, or did they only tell you what you already knew?

dbny
10-14-2003, 11:29 AM
Sorry you didn't pass this time Mel, but I think you showed a lot of fortitude just to go ahead with it when sick like that. A bad cold can make it hard even in a classroom; I can't imagine facing a skating test with one.

Mel On Ice
10-14-2003, 11:29 AM
Mrs. Boots - the judge's comments were very helpful. They weren't at all rude or discouraging, just gave me his honest assessment. Some of the folks in the stands were groaning when they saw I did get the toughest judge of the three on the panel (3 of us were on the ice at the same time testing).

Indigo - It was a mix of kids and adults testing. Most everyone else did the pattern with only 3-4 lobes. And I did 6. Bad, bad, bad.

1964 - I think I overdid practicing for this test like I did last year when I competed at ISI Adult Championships. I haven't quite figured out the fine line between practicing enough and practicing too much. Balance Melissa, balance. *sigh*

Gary - I am really glad I didn't skate last night. Rams game and BoSox game was fun to watch and I got lots done for homecoming this weekend.

Thanks everyone else for your encouragement. The cold is still hanging in there, I'm sorta stuffy but thirsty all the time.