View Full Version : Skating Wear..........Not even?

Lutzgirl
10-12-2003, 10:03 AM
Hey everyone,
Yesterday i was over at my local arena practicing my tycovisky solo when 2 very young skaters came up beside me ! The one girl put her foot out and tripped me i noticed just at that point that alot of skaters now are wearing pants for skating..........but really they arent skating pants they are just jeans or something that have just come out of school with..........Now i have no problem with pants (skating) but i think jeans and the other kinds just arent exceptable.......now i coach sometimes and i have skaters complaing that they cant stretch in there pants...:(

What do u think of this issue....I hope to hear your views!

Thanks again.......Lutzgirl
lutzie.............does it again

jp1andOnly
10-12-2003, 10:09 AM
it is up to the coach to tell them what is acceptable or not. When I coach the little guys, many parents dont realize jeans get really cold. So If they are Canskaters I will explain to the parents that jogging pants or windbreaker pants or skating outfits are more appropriate. However, many families dont have a lot of money and are lucky to show up at all. If these girls were on a public skating session, jeans are fine. But if they were freeskating, their coach should tell them otherwise

SDFanatic
10-12-2003, 11:28 AM
The one company that I tried to join to get lessons from (yes, the same one that will not teach me because of my non-traditional clothing tastes) explicitly says no jeans. Yet the owner of the company put jogging or warmup pants over his jeans and skates, as well as the other coaches in the same company.

Yes, jeans can get cold, and don't have much give! There is a version of stretch jeans however that look like regular denum however. I'm always wearing at least one pair of skate tights however if I wear leggings or pants, two pairs if I go with a skirt/kilt.

One girl I know last year was always in jeans, this year I've only seen her in tights, leotard, and a wrap skirt, I haven't aksed her yet as to why, but I'm guessing since she is taking lessons from that one company that she is forced, or perhaps it was just a personal choice.

Steven

singerskates
10-12-2003, 02:23 PM
Last year, I was wearing nothing but top, skating skirt and tights when I was at my former club. But this new club lets you wear skating pants, shorts or what have you Monday to Thursday but Friday is a day to encourage female skaters to wear, skating dresses or skirts. The came up with this a few years ago because many of the female skaters had lots of skating dresses in their closets which they never wore and the parents wanted those dresses to be used. So Tuesdays and Wednesdays I wear my skating pants and Fridays I wear my skating skirt.

Still need to find a competition dress to my two Prince Of Egypt programs though. No shops around here carry adult sizes so I have to go to London, Detroit, Toronto or order online.

Brigitte

blurrysarah
10-13-2003, 12:29 AM
There's no dress code at my rink. However, when I first started skating I used to wear a pair of jeans, until my coach asked me to wear a pair of those dance/yoga pants instead so she could see my knee and ankle better. Looking back, I can't believe I used to skate with jeans, try doing a lunge!

Mrs Redboots
10-13-2003, 06:05 AM
We only have a dress code at Dance Club, and it's not strictly enforced there. Jeans aren't appropriate for skating simply because you need a garment that will move with you, and that won't become damp and cold should you fall. Nevertheless, the "punters" all wear them, of course.... But the skaters sometimes wear skirts, if they are girls, but mostly trackies, joggers, or even shorts and tights! The shorts are mostly worn by those who want to wear what our coach calls "axel knickers".....

RMluver
10-13-2003, 08:13 PM
There isn't a dress code at my club. I usually wear 2pairs of tights, yoga pants, a tank top, and then either a long sleeved shirt or sweatshirt over top. Some girls wear tights and shorts, some wear skirts, some wear dresses and some wear stirrups. Its mostly just wear whatever you're most comfotable skating in.

Caitlin :halo:

SDFanatic
10-13-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
"axel knickers".....

LOL! :P

Steven

garyc254
10-14-2003, 08:04 AM
I wear jeans at all of my lessons and practices. Mostly because that's what I wear all day, every day. I had a coach that tried to convince me to try a jogging pant and I did. The material felt very uncomfortable from the lack of form and body.

So, if I skate, it will be in jeans.

jazzpants
10-14-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
"axel knickers"..... Yes and I *STILL* wear mine (but with different paddings than the one that was intended for!) My secondary coach made a stink about it b/c she noticed I was padded up but was still chickening out on stuff. One time she said "See? You did it and you STILL didn't fall!!!" (Of course, right after that I had an almost fall on my hip.) :roll: :lol: I MUST get more courageous! I mean, I'm padded up and the worst fall to date (knees) I'm padded up for that too! (Knowing me... boc boc boc boc....) :roll:

I don't wear jeans to skate only b/c I hate the idea of getting the pants wet and having it stay wet the entire trip home. :roll: Guess what *I* wear to skate??? :twisted: :roll:

MQSeries
10-14-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by garyc254

So, if I skate, it will be in jeans.

Wouldn't it be difficult to get into a camel or spiral position in jeans, not to mention that it would look funny since most jeans don't stretch?

garyc254
10-14-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by MQSeries
Wouldn't it be difficult to get into a camel or spiral position in jeans, not to mention that it would look funny since most jeans don't stretch?

Well, I don't do camels (and may never), but I don't have any problem getting into a spiral position.

My main coach wears jeans when she teaches.