View Full Version : OFF ICE DIARY

figurebabe
07-04-2002, 11:55 AM
Daily routine
Rowing machine, I have pushed up to half an hour non stop rowing a day. Currently stretching every day, especially my spiral, catch spirals, and boxer splits.. which are a few inches off the ground at the moment.

WICKID!
Have increased AN INCREDIBLE AMOUNT since I was literally more HOPELESS at the splits than fish are! :lol: :lol: :lol:

DONE MY JUMPS.
I can currently do all my singles off ice, lutz, loop, half loop, flip, toe, salchow, walley..(also do stag)
ALSO I have achieved my AXLE WOHHOO! Need more work on my axel before I start doubles. :roll:

-figurebabe-

anital
07-05-2002, 12:16 AM
figurebabe,
Good idea to do off ice training diary since we have the on ice thread!

Here's my addition:

Well, today was pilates and I gotta tell ya, even though my friend thinks I always look "peaceful and relaxed" it's really hard work. I'm loving the classes though (I do them 3 times a week and have finally graduated to 'intermediate' after a break with injury) and it gets me feeling refreshed and ready to snack on apples instead of cheesecake!

Also did cardo today (I do everyday but have modified my workout because of injury break) and boy did I feel fit!!! I felt like I should have been wearing those skimpy gym outfits!! Was going to go for an actual run outside today but then the rain (gee I hate winter) so the treadmill and x-traininer it was.

Figurebabe, I used to coach junior rowing when I was in my state team and love ergos (rowing machines) just make such you have the right technique all the time, those things can do major damage to your back and knees if you don't use them properly! Half an hour is great! I used to do 2kms a day (about 6 minutes of race) but don't now because of my knee. Keep it up!!

Azlynn
07-05-2002, 01:14 AM
Brilliant idea! The nearest ice is currently 1.5 hours away, so my on ice is far and few between until September.

The only thing I got done today was cleaning, so I'd like to set some goals for tomorrow: 10 laps at the track followed by a decent stretch. And a run through of all single jumps!

melanieuk
07-05-2002, 03:58 AM
My training is a bit different ....

[list:e797845614]ran up & down stairs several times before packing kids into car to drive to mum's who has 4 flights - took the lift!

ran down 4 flights, drove to rink, warmed up for 15 mins, skated for 1.5 hours.

did a few spirals in the kitchen making lunch for kids.

did a few backspins on the floor, but not conducive to swollen foot! :(

up & down the stairs several times in the course of the day.

walked to shops and back carrying heavy shopping bags.

bad things I ate : Belgian biscuit, mini Snickers bar, cups of tea
good things I ate : 3 banana, 3 nectarines, 2 pints water, pasta

sleep : 8.5 hours

Tonight it will all be bad as I'm up all night working, will have little exercise and will eat loads of rubbish to keep me awake!![/list:u:e797845614]

dani
07-05-2002, 07:40 AM
[quote:695c0fecf5="melanieuk"]My training is a bit different ....

[list:695c0fecf5]ran up & down stairs several times before packing kids into car to drive to mum's who has 4 flights - took the lift!

ran down 4 flights, drove to rink, warmed up for 15 mins, skated for 1.5 hours.

did a few spirals in the kitchen making lunch for kids.

did a few backspins on the floor, but not conducive to swollen foot! :(

up & down the stairs several times in the course of the day.

walked to shops and back carrying heavy shopping bags.

bad things I ate : Belgian biscuit, mini Snickers bar, cups of tea
good things I ate : 3 banana, 3 nectarines, 2 pints water, pasta

sleep : 8.5 hours

Tonight it will all be bad as I'm up all night working, will have little exercise and will eat loads of rubbish to keep me awake!![/list:u:695c0fecf5][/quote:695c0fecf5]

Wow! I always knew there was a reason I'm not a mom! ;-)

Seriously though, I am impressed with this format and I think I will try to incorporate it into my skating diary (which I have sadly let lapse). I am inspired by this post thanks!!!

Hugs!
Danielle

figurebabe
07-05-2002, 11:14 AM
wowww! This is my first ever 'idea' for a post which is actually successful! :oops:

Never ever had a good idea for a topic before!! lol but great! glad its good! :lol: :lol:

figurebabe
07-05-2002, 11:21 AM
OHHH GUTTED!

Just got the hang of the axel 100% all the time, consistent, and today cant even practice it in the back yard cuz OF THE RAIN ARHGHGH :evil: !!!

TYPICAL ENGLISH WEATHER!

Will have to stay with the ol' single lutzes and flips and toes and stags in the back room, incase i go wrong with the axel and land into the TV!

lol.

hmmmstupid rain, and ANNNND THE GRASS WILL STILL BE WET TOMMORROW! :cry:

Mrs Redboots
07-05-2002, 11:41 AM
[quote:eab06a7e4d="figurebabe"]Will have to stay with the ol' single lutzes and flips and toes and stags in the back room, incase i go wrong with the axel and land into the TV![/quote:eab06a7e4d] Are you allowed to jump in your back room? I banned any jumps indoors a LONG time ago - anybody who wants to practice off-ice jumping, even 3-jumps, has to go and do it in the garden! But spins and 3-turns on the static spinner are allowed, as is dance practice on the spot.

Oh, you guys are so good. If I don't skate, I don't exercise; end of story. I do have one of those abdominal machines (abominable machines?) that you kneel down and push away from you, but it irritates me by not sweeping the carpet at the same time.... I do use it occasionally, though.

pink_flower77
07-05-2002, 12:23 PM
My regular daily routine:

-10 minutes of fast jumping rope to warm up....light stretch.
-45 mins on my stationary bike
-1/2 hour stretching. I have all 3 splits, very proud because all the time and sweating of yoga sessions to get them.:)
-70 variations of situps and crunches
-tone with light weights for upper body

Yeah thats about it.....I go jogging every other day too. You'll never guess from my "frail" size (I hate when people tell me im skinny and frail....i can kick ### anytime, lol) I'm stronger then most my female friends. Probably because im the only one of my 14 year old females friends to workout this much. Its all worth it though:) I hope all this will increase my bone density...i'm afraid of ostoperosis(sp?) because I'm already short and been through my growth spurts, and I don't need to get any shorter:(

Lets keep it up! :D

singerskates
07-05-2002, 03:45 PM
This was my usually routin "During my off time, like now, I go to the gym. At the gym, I start off with the EFX machine to warm up my body. Then I stretch including pilates. I then go and do my weights. Currently, I can leg press 350 lbs using air pressure weights. After than I go to the dance studio in the gym and run through my program off-ice including all the jumps, spins, foot work and other elements. Once I've run through my program 3 times, I go to stretch. If I'm at the gym with the pool, I go for a swim too doing laps. then I'm done for the day. I go to the gym 3 days a week right now." until it got way too hot; 100 degrees F. I just couldn't stand the heat and had to scale down. These past two weeks I just warmed up for 5 minutes on the bike and then did some weights and then another 10 minutes on either the EFX or the bike, stretched and then did a half hour to 45 minutes in the pool. Since it finally cooled down with way less humidity last night (we only had a high of 81 degrees F today) so I can finally breath again. But then we've got June Bugs (fish flies) and they're starting to rot. I live near Lake St. Clair. I'll be able to do more at the gym tomorrow.

nutty-ducky
07-05-2002, 05:29 PM
Well, i try to do this every night, except for Thursday because thats when I go to the Figure Skating Club:

Toning up of Upper Body with light weights.
About 30-45 minutes of streching (including splits, which I am working on)
and then 4 minutes of running or jogging.

momsk8s2
07-09-2002, 12:30 AM
I joined the kids in the off ice class last week and my skating session afterwards was a joy! Nothing like being over 40 to show how good stretching is for you. We started off with light jogging and grapevine steps the length of the rink to warm up. Once in the ballet room, we did the usual stretching routine that I do before running. I'm happy to report I can hold a "wall sit" longer than most of the teenagers. We did 3 sets of pilates 100's, which I felt two days later in my obliques. Worked on splits and spirals and then moved on to off-ice jumps. All this took 1/2 hour as was time well spent.

For all women over 40 I recommend reading [u:67c00f9a19]Strong Women Stay Young[/u:67c00f9a19] by Miriam Nelson. The CAT scan cross section photos and bone density biopsy photos are very enlightening.

garyc254
07-09-2002, 12:15 PM
Hmmmmm... my off-ice training? :?

Wake up at 6:15 am.
Drive 30 miles to office.
Work.
Nap on my cot at lunch.
Work.
Leave office at 5:00 pm.
Drive home 30 miles.
Eat supper.
Do household chores.
At 9:30, turn on my favorite video game or computer, make a couple of tall Rum & Cokes.
Go to bed at midnight. :lol:

However:
I curl a light weight (one hand at a time) while driving to work.
Anytime I'm standing at work, I do toe stands or balance on one foot.
Monday evening: 1-1/2 hours skating w/ 3/4 hour lesson (I know, it's not off-ice :) )
Tuesday evening: 1 hour aerobics class.
Thursday evening: 1/2 hour power stroking class, 1 hour free-style session
Saturday morning: 1-1/2 hour free style W/ 1/2 hour lesson
Saturday afternoon: mow, edge, trim 3 acres of lawn

Work gets in the way off my fun. :lol:

Figureskates
07-09-2002, 12:32 PM
I have a bizarre work schedule so there is no set pattern to anything...

However, I do a 10 mile run on my in-line skates at least 6 days a week, 7 if it isn't hotter than blazes or it is raining...

Rest of time I work in the yard..always walk to town, never drive since it is about a third of a mile from the house....