View Full Version : British Adult Championship Photos

Mrs Redboots
10-09-2003, 08:28 AM
The photos from the British Adult Championships are up at http://www.icephoto.co.uk/british/default22.asp?competition=22

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear..... well, no wonder we always place last.... WAIL...... :cry:

plinko
10-09-2003, 08:38 AM
I like this one (http://www.icephoto.co.uk/british/final_page.asp?code=aca0459&comp=22)

You look lovely.

blurrysarah
10-09-2003, 08:46 AM
Well done! I don't consider it last to be 2nd out of 2 couples, so one group was better, pfft. ;)

Reminds me, we need a thread where everyone posts a photo of themselves skating.

Black Sheep
10-09-2003, 09:34 AM
I was wondering if there were any photos around of what must have been a fun & exciting event! At last, I can have a look at skaters at my level and/or age from across the pond. 8-)

Black Sheep
10-09-2003, 09:39 AM
My God, these guys do great on-ice photos! I'm so insanely jealous. Looks like a whole lot of fantastic skaters. Wish I could have seen it! 8-)

flo
10-09-2003, 10:15 AM
Hi,
You look great in the short skirt!
Good job!:)

Mrs Redboots
10-09-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by plinko
I like this one (http://www.icephoto.co.uk/british/final_page.asp?code=aca0459&comp=22)

You look lovely. Thanks - but look how hunched over I am, and the angle of my free leg, compared to Robert's, and the fact that my toe, far from being pointed, is actually rather cocked!
This one (http://www.icephoto.co.uk/british/final_page.asp?code=aca1355&comp=22) is, I think, the best of a bad lot (except that my tight is lifting slightly, and you can see how fat my arms are!).

Having said that, there are some superlative skaters out there. May I commend to you Joy Shellard (http://www.icephoto.co.uk/british/competitor_page.asp?competitor=642&E=1&L=4&comp=22) (her interpretive is here (http://www.icephoto.co.uk/british/competitor_page.asp?competitor=642&E=18&L=4&comp=22)) who is well into her 70s now, but still practically the best skater of all of us!

I won't name other people you don't know, but here are NickiT (http://www.icephoto.co.uk/british/competitor_page.asp?competitor=660&E=1&L=4&comp=22) and Batikat (http://www.icephoto.co.uk/british/competitor_page.asp?competitor=620&E=14&L=4&comp=22).....

Black Sheep
10-09-2003, 10:27 AM
I hope I'm that good when I'm in my '70s! What level is Joy? She looks amazing. 8-)

Mrs Redboots
10-09-2003, 11:27 AM
I think she was skating Intermediate - probably the equivalent of Adult Silver or Adult Gold in the internationals.

I would certainly like to be as good as she is when I'm in my 70s!

blurrysarah
10-09-2003, 12:09 PM
I noticed Joy Shellard too, what an inspiration. That jump she's doing (waltz?) is about 5 times higher than anything I've ever done. Proves that age makes no difference on your ability to learn to skate.

Moto Guzzi
10-09-2003, 12:40 PM
Annabel, you and Robert look great! Thanks for posting these. I'm impressed by Joy Shellard. She has a better sitspin position and more height on her waltz jump than a silver level competitor at our rink who is probably half her age.:lol: I like her bathtub pictures. Do you know what her music was? 'Splish, Splash, I was Taking a Bath'?

It was nice to see Batikat's and Nicki T's pictures, too. Well done, all of you.

batikat
10-09-2003, 02:19 PM
But why does he always catch the most unflattering poses? The spin and the drag (lunge ) look OK but the rest look rather strange. I'm sure I'm not quite so knock-kneed!!!!! .:roll: :oops:- think the picture was from my start - and some of the others look like I am barely moving. But at least they are better than nothing since my video didnt' turn out :D

MQSeries
10-09-2003, 02:31 PM
You can't really blame the camera or camera man for any unflattering poses ;)

Seriously though, I do have to give kudos to you adults that are putting yourselves out there in front of the judges and audience.

batikat
10-09-2003, 03:32 PM
No, but in real life you are not frozen in time as in a photo, so if you are passing through a not so flattering postion on the way to a better one then the eye would not dwell on the unflattering position and hopefully would barely even notice. ;)

In fact Icephoto do the best on-ice photos I have seen, under very difficult circumstances and of course he has never seen the performances before so can't plan the pictures.

NickiT
10-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by batikat
But why does he always catch the most unflattering poses? The spin and the drag (lunge ) look OK but the rest look rather strange. I'm sure I'm not quite so knock-kneed!!!!! .:roll: :oops:- think the picture was from my start - and some of the others look like I am barely moving. But at least they are better than nothing since my video didnt' turn out :D

I know what you mean Gail!!! It doesn't help that I have that petrified expression on my face. My sit spin photo was obviously taken before I'd got right down into it, but I'm quite happy with my parallel spin photo as I don't look as bad as I thought I would doing this, especially since it wasn't one of my best on that day!

Nicki

batikat
10-09-2003, 06:46 PM
The funny thing is when you start looking at some of the other photos and realise you weren't the only one caught at a bad moment. Some of the facial expressions caught on camera are priceless!:lol:

dbny
10-09-2003, 10:21 PM
Thanks for posting the pix. You all look great! I'm so jealous, don't think I'll ever compete.

batikat
10-10-2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by dbny
Thanks for posting the pix. You all look great! I'm so jealous, don't think I'll ever compete.

Why is that? Is it lack of opportunity? Are there no adult competitions in your area? Or do you feel too nervous at the idea or not 'ready' to compete? A feeling I know well :oops:

I started competing when a skating friend wanted a buddy to go to a competition with. I was terrified and nowhere near ready but my arm was twisted! It was a dance comp for level 5 and under and I had not taken any tests in dance at all. There were 18 competitors and my legs were like jelly. I still don't know how I got round. As it happened I placed 15th of 18 so there were 3 ladies I was actually better than on the day - I was very surprised as I expected to be last.

I said then that it would be my first and last competition but somehow I keep going back.........
It helps that my rink runs one of the biggest adult-only Open comps in the country (UK)of course but the great thing is that at the adult level everyone is very friendly and supportive and respects you for going out there and giving it a shot. Hope you get the opportunity to try it one day

Mrs Redboots
10-10-2003, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Moto Guzzi
I like her bathtub pictures. Do you know what her music was? 'Splish, Splash, I was Taking a Bath'? Yes, I think so. She certainly had everybody in fits....

NickiT
10-10-2003, 08:12 AM
The funny thing is when you start looking at some of the other photos and realise you weren't the only one caught at a bad moment. Some of the facial expressions caught on camera are priceless!:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Do you know what? After looking at mine, the first thing I did was go and check a few other competitor's expressions!!! It's hugely reassuring to know that we all share that common trait - a petrified look on our faces. The most frustrating thing is that I did remember to smile in the last bit of my programme but he didn't capture any photos of that!!!

Nicki

melanieuk
10-10-2003, 01:04 PM
Thanks for posting the link to the photos Annabel.
They are great. Well done to you all.
Mel

Mrs Redboots
10-10-2003, 01:33 PM
I thought you'd like them, Mel - you've checked all the photos of your friends, of course? It's lovely to have such a big group of skaters coming South for the big events these days.

wannask8
10-10-2003, 03:10 PM
These are fabulous! I don't know what you're all complaining about -- you look wonderful to me! Good job, all!

-- wannask8

Lutzgirl
10-11-2003, 01:41 PM
wow you english really are learning something from the other better skating countrys! Not saying that britain isnt as good as canada but u dont have as many figure skaters do u ?

You all great well done!

dooobedooo
10-12-2003, 12:27 AM
Is there a national skating championship for adults in Canada? How long has it been running?

I have heard about the US adult championships - what is the standard? How many entrants? Do they have qualifiers?

icenut84
10-12-2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Lutzgirl
wow you english really are learning something from the other better skating countrys! Not saying that britain isnt as good as canada but u dont have as many figure skaters do u ?

Just so you know, it's not just the "english" at this competition, it also includes those from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. (We all come under "British"). And no we don't have as many figure skaters as Canada. The countries are kind of different in size, lol. Plus in skating profile (much higher profile in Canada, overall).

dooobedooo
10-12-2003, 01:00 PM
Well, Canada has plenty of snow and ice and long winters - so they are a top nation at ice hockey, figure skating and curling ...

But the UK has a generally milder climate, plenty of green grass and is surrounded by sea, so we produce quite a few footballers, rugby players, runners, horse-riders, swimmers, rowers, sailors etc. Not to mention that the UK has several big multi-ethnic urban sprawls, so produces quite a few world-class pop stars, rappers, clothing designers etc. Our iceskating world is much smaller, and just occasionally stuns the world with a Torvill and Dean or a John Curry ...

But can someone answer my earlier question: tell us more about the Canadian and USA Adult Skating Championships ...

sk8er1964
10-12-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by dooobedooo
Is there a national skating championship for adults in Canada? How long has it been running?

I have heard about the US adult championships - what is the standard? How many entrants? Do they have qualifiers?

The US Adult Championships usually have between 500-800 competitors, according to the USFSA magazine. Many people will do more than one event.

We have two type of qualifiers. The first type is the championship qualifying round. This is for the top levels - Championship Gold freestyle, Championship Masters freestyle, Championship Dance and Championship Pairs. You compete at a Sectional competiton about a month before Nationals, and the top four finishers go on to the championship round at Nationals. There are no age categories in the championship events.

For those of us who don't qualify for the championship round (because of less than 4th place in a qualifier, not competing at Sectionals, or not being of a high enough test level), there are the open events at Nationals. These events are divided by age (I don't think that dance and pairs are - not sure about that). Many of the events will have a qualifying round because of the number of entries. For example, the Bronze Ladies II had three qualifying rounds last year, where the top skaters from each round went to the finals. Last year they tried to divide the interpretive events by type of program, ie comedy or serious. They do not have QR's for interpretives.

I believe that Canada is trying to put their first Nationals together for next year. Singerskates knows about that.

I think it's great that adult competitions are growing. I enjoyed looking at the pics of you all at the British AN - you look great!

Mrs Redboots
10-13-2003, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Lutzgirl

You all great well done! Not just English - there was a strong contingent from Scotland this year (it was a Scottish couple who beat us :( ), and I expect some of the skaters from Deeside were Welsh. As far as I know there was nobody from Northern Ireland this year, but NI skaters would qualify for British championships.

There were about 100 entries for the Championships altogether, and I know many skaters who didn't enter, particularly dancers, as they felt they didn't have enough time to get an Original Dance together. We could have had more entries.

Anyway, you Canadians have yet to have your first Adult Championships, I believe?

melanieuk
10-13-2003, 10:46 AM
Yes Annabel, I had a good squint at Irene & Jack's photos. I saw I & J briefly at the Scotland Championships yesterday and told them the photos were online - but they're still not!

Have you an inkling where the next Adult champs might be?

Mrs Redboots
10-14-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by melanieuk
Have you an inkling where the next Adult champs might be? I wish I did! NISA really doesn't care about Adult skating, and leaves it up to one or two individuals who do care to sort things out - which means that announcements get made at the last minute, and skaters don't go because they don't have time to get their acts together, or think they don't. What we want is for NISA to announce date, venue, and dance requirements now so that they can be used by the various Opens throughout the year, as well as attracting a much larger entry in couples dance. But I'm not about to hold my breath waiting for it....

I did hear that they wanted to bring all the championships together so that the Adults would go in with the Novice, Primary, Junior and Senior championships in December, which wouldn't be very popular, as it would clash with the Dune of Flanders Cup. But I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that didn't happen, though, if not in 2004 then the following year.

batikat
10-14-2003, 01:45 PM
The Novice and Pre-novice Championships are held at the start of the year. April, the last two times at least and I beleive some time in February this coming year. We are still waiting for an announcement of dates for that one!

Might be a better date for the Adult champs than with Primary and above in December but then if it's in April it doesn't leave much time to get new requirements out to use at Bracknell in June.

edited to add:
and by the way I am Welsh even though I now live in England so it is not just English adn Scottish skaters at the championships!!!

NickiT
10-14-2003, 04:02 PM
if it's in April it doesn't leave much time to get new requirements out to use at Bracknell in June.

OMG I wouldn't want it to be in April!!!! LOL!!! I usually only start putting my programme together then for the Bracknell Opens in June, and December would hardly be ideal with the preparations for the Christmas show etc. I think it's best left where it is myself!

Nicki

batikat
10-14-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by NickiT
OMG I wouldn't want it to be in April!!!! LOL!!! I usually only start putting my programme together then for the Bracknell Opens in June, and December would hardly be ideal with the preparations for the Christmas show etc. I think it's best left where it is myself!

Nicki

You could always start putting your programme together in January!! ;)
Or use the one from the previous years Bracknell Open and then you can still start your new one in April!!!

Have to agree that December would be an absolute nightmare especially for anyone with children and all the Christmas stuff they are involved in then, as well as rink pantos and shows etc
G

Mrs Redboots
10-15-2003, 06:38 AM
My main objection to December is the nearness to the Dune of Flanders Cup, which is normally the first weekend in December. A good opportunity for Christmas shopping in France (and entries must be postmarked TODAY, so get them sent off quick!).

Batikat, a couple of us were chatting today and saying we did hope that the ODs from this year's British Championships would be the ones used at Bracknell next June, since we don't suppose they'd publicise the British Adults requirements any sooner than they did this year.... could you perhaps pass that request on to your Club Competition Secretary?

batikat
10-15-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots

Batikat, a couple of us were chatting today and saying we did hope that the ODs from this year's British Championships would be the ones used at Bracknell next June, since we don't suppose they'd publicise the British Adults requirements any sooner than they did this year.... could you perhaps pass that request on to your Club Competition Secretary?

The schedule should be out a lot earlier this year - last year it was hampered by a late change of comp sec.

for details visit the website:

www.bracknell-ice-skating-club.co.uk

It may be that the Championships follow on from Bracknells OD as there may be more time between them that way and Bracknell can be used as a warm up for the championships. Hopefully there will be some co-ordination. I'll pass on your comments and keep you posted.

dorvalskater1
10-16-2003, 09:53 PM
yup, we have one this year for the adult stream...first time! It's being held in British Columbia (Burnaby) and I am planning on being there competing....I hope.