View Full Version : Does anyone here know anything about star skate?

Lutzgirl
10-07-2003, 07:12 PM
hi!
I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about star skate?
I have heard some rough ideas about it but not ebnough information really to put together to find out what is about !!!

So do any of you experts here at Skating forums no about this and can write what it is about basically but with lots of detail!

I am really confused because there are lots of differnet skateing programs and i need to no what each are about and how they are different!

Oh and also tell me if my posts are boring!TO READ! THANKS!

lutzgirl!

RMluver
10-07-2003, 07:34 PM
hey

I think starskate is provincial competition or something like that. It doesn't help much... but i really don't know much about it either, even though apparently on my profile on Skate Canada it says i'm a StarSkate competitor.:roll: I thought I was just recreational. lol!

Caitlin :halo:

luna_skater
10-07-2003, 08:35 PM
StarSkate is essentially the test stream in Canada, although there are now competitions designed for test skaters. There is a StarSkate Nationals; you might get a better idea of what StarSkate competitions are like if you look at the categories that were offered at StarSkate Nationals last year.

Magz
10-07-2003, 08:48 PM
just go to www.skatecanada.ca then to "Technical Info" then "Figure Skating" then "Technical Requirements" and you can scroll down, find StarSkate and it gives you information there

plinko
10-08-2003, 09:00 AM
In Skate Canada's world there's really only 3 things that count:

Canskate - anyone learning to skate who isn't taking a formal test. They get badges at the club level.

Starskate - skaters still learning to skate and/or all the way up to gold test level and taking tests and local competitions and then do interclub region/section/All-Ontario (for western Ontario for example). If you enter the biathalon or triathalon competition at interclub level, that can lead to a National competition. There isn't individual event Nationals yet at this level. Starskaters take tests in Skills, Dance and Freeskate/Freeskate Elements, six different levels.

There is one difference this year at competition: There are Starskate recreational categories and Starskate provincial categories. The difference is at the lower levels, especially preliminary, the recreational categories might have jump restrictions, the provincial categories don't. If you want to go to Interclub regionals that leads to the section championship, then you enter the provincial category and there will be some 9 year old girl in preliminary doing a double lutz.

Competitive - skaters who have passed competitive tests and take a different competition track. They would do sectionals/challenge/nationals. They train exclusively in freeskate or dance. A novice competitor is equal to about a gold starskater.

You can't be a Starskater and Competitive skater in the same skating year.

The majority of skaters are Starskate. Everyone I know still says "Test skater". Adult skating is the same as Starskate for standards. Although I might take "adult" skating classes, I'm registered as a starskater according to Skate Canada.

(see there's a reason I pay attention at all these club meetings!)