View Full Version : But those are new boots!!!!

garyc254
10-07-2003, 03:35 PM
Two weeks ago there was a new skater during my Monday night adult skate. I don't remember exactly what he looked like, but I couldn't help but notice that he was very novice and had brand new boots and blades.

After the session was over and we had all gone home, the rink crew found his skates in the trash can. He hasn't returned to the session.

No one knows what happened nor do they know this guy. Everyone is astounded that someone would throw away a brand new pair of S.P. Teri's with MK blades.

The big question is:

How long should the rink keep the skates before considering them abandoned?

Jillianioso
10-07-2003, 03:47 PM
wow thats insane!
I think considering that they were found in the garbage, you could consider them abandoned.

mary
10-07-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by garyc254

After the session was over and we had all gone home, the rink crew found his skates in the trash can. He hasn't returned to the session.

I'm sorry, but when I read your post, I just cracked up laughing. :lol: :lol: :lol: It sounds like he just "threw in towel" (or skates in this case). :lol: :lol:

MQSeries
10-07-2003, 04:36 PM
Does the rink have a lost & found bin that it can put the skates in there? The rink should hang on to the skates for at least a week to see if anyone claims it and then put it in the lost & found bin after that.

There's a possibility that they weren't his skates to begin with, but who knows about these things.

garyc254
10-07-2003, 04:36 PM
Well, I've seen golfers get so frustrated that they threw $1000 worth of clubs into a lake and walked away forever.

garyc254
10-07-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by MQSeries
Does the rink have a lost & found bin that it can put the skates in there?

They were afraid to put them in the lost and found bin lest someone else claim them.

They're keeping them in the rink managers office in case someone asks for them.

icedancer2
10-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Wow -- the poor guy -- it's hard enough for experienced skaters to skate in new boots and blades, but for a beginner, I imagine that it would be even harder!!

I hope he changes his mind, or gets some softer boots and tries again!

skaternum
10-07-2003, 07:37 PM
How "novice" was this guy? Was he working on basic skills kind of stuff? If so, what on earth was he doing in a pair of SP Teris? Those would be way too stiff for him! No wonder he gave up.

icedancer2
10-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Well, this is certainly true -- I have seen this time and time again where some people either want the "best" and some schmo is stupid enough to sell them the most expensive boot, which is usually the stiffest, or some kids (and their rich parents) just have to have those gold plated Gold Seals and little miss X just can hardly hold onto the edge because the rocker is too severe!!

(pet peeve for me)

skatepixie
10-08-2003, 12:15 AM
woah....

jazzpants
10-08-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by garyc254
The big question is:

How long should the rink keep the skates before considering them abandoned? Are you eyeing to get them if he doesn't come back for them, Gary? ;) I would! :D

Mrs Redboots
10-08-2003, 05:56 AM
So would I!

Elsy2
10-08-2003, 07:55 AM
A fellow adult skater I knew was learning her basics in very stiff boots....she told me she bought them for her eventual triples 8O I got the impression she thought those triples were just around the corner too!

My hubby was sold a Super Teri Deluxe because he's a big football player type of guy. In retrospect, he probably would have been better off with a softer boot. But we didn't know any better at the time, and just went with what was recommended.

garyc254
10-08-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by skaternum
How "novice" was this guy?

He was stumbling his way trying to stroke down the ice and never got away from the boards.

NickiT
10-08-2003, 07:59 AM
The rink should most definitely hang onto them for a while. If they haven't been picked up after a certain amount of time is there any chance of selling them in a second hand sale and the proceeds going towards your skating club?

Nicki

garyc254
10-08-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by jazzpants
Are you eyeing to get them if he doesn't come back for them, Gary? ;) I would! :D

I didn't even check the size.

I'm still trying to break in the Super Teri's I bought two years ago. I don't want to go through that pain again. :lol:

garyc254
10-08-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by NickiT
..is there any chance of selling them in a second hand sale and the proceeds going towards your skating club?

That's probably what will happen in the long run.

plinko
10-08-2003, 08:50 AM
We had a lady come back for skates two years later. We had sold them but the club kept the money and we gave her the money.

Would anyone know who this guy was? He needs another try at skating, I'd buy him a lesson if it was me. Skating should be fun for everyone.

garyc254
10-08-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by plinko
We had a lady come back for skates two years later. We had sold them but the club kept the money and we gave her the money.

Would anyone know who this guy was? He needs another try at skating, I'd buy him a lesson if it was me. Skating should be fun for everyone.

That's another strange part of the situation. Our adult session usually draws around 20 skaters. Everyone knows everyone else. No one including the rink managers and coaches had ever seen this guy before or since.

melanieuk
10-08-2003, 09:22 AM
Wow, he must've really been fed up....and have money to throw away.
I wonder if he'll regret chucking them in the bin. He'll think they've been chucked and won't think to go back for them?
Maybe he was skater in his child hood. :roll:
Interesting story!

jazzpants
10-08-2003, 04:46 PM
Geez... at the very least he should consider selling them cheaper to a worthy skater if he decides to quit and all... WOW!!! 8O

blurrysarah
10-09-2003, 09:17 AM
It hurts to even imagine throwing something so expensive away.
Very sad to see people spend so much money on something before they've thought it through. Even sadder, seeing skaters with amazing potential getting by in cheap, unsupportive boots, who can only DREAM of brand new SP Teri's.

garyc254
10-09-2003, 09:35 AM
The figure skating director at the rink has decided she's going to keep the skates in her office for the time being. If someone does come in to claim them, they'll be there.

If someone comes along that is really in need of skates and can't afford them, she'll work something out for them. (Wouldn't be surprised if she gives them away to a deserving skater)

Mel On Ice
10-09-2003, 10:41 AM
gary, I'm more interested in the adult skate on Monday nights! I need another night practice. Please don't tell me I have to haul my cookies up to Alton...

garyc254
10-09-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Mel On Ice
Please don't tell me I have to haul my cookies up to Alton...

The Monday night adult skate is at the Kirkwood rink 8:00 - 9:30 pm.

I've never skated Alton. ;)

Mel On Ice
10-09-2003, 11:11 AM
you and Sue? Is it far?

garyc254
10-09-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Mel On Ice
you and Sue? Is it far?

Not Susan. She's just getting back from teaching aerobics and trying to get her son through homework.

Kathy Kn**** (has a lesson), Chris (old team member) and Bob (who's doing the Saturday morning RecPlex adult class with Susan and I.

http://www.kirkwoodmo.org/parks/rink/main.htm

I-270 south to Dougherty Ferry east.

Turn right at first stoplit intersection on W. Adams.

Turn right on Geyer Rd. and it's on your right.

Mel On Ice
10-09-2003, 12:40 PM
maybe I will see you there! It would be great to see Kris again. Is she still dancing?

I think Bob took learn to skate classes with hubby this winter.

garyc254
10-09-2003, 01:15 PM
I'm not sure if Kris is dancing or not.

Come on down and I'll introduce you to the gang.