View Full Version : Washington's New Years Adult Competition

NoVa Sk8r
10-06-2003, 09:18 AM
The Washington Figure Skating Club is holding its 3rd annual adult competition Jan. 30-Feb. 1 in Ashburn, VA (same rink as last year). The announcements/forms are available on their website:
http://users.erols.com/wfsc/index.html

The forms are out early so EVERYONE can plan ahead and attend :P

Here's hoping this event is even bigger than last year's and that there are many adult pairs teams to watch (LoopLoop and I need to be inspired!)

dani
10-06-2003, 11:29 AM
I have a question on the entry form to ask - anyone know who I should email? (Jen?)

I am trying to pass my silver FS by then, but I may not be able to. I have passed my silver moves. I came in second in silver moves I last year and first in Silver moves II at the Peach. I am hoping they will let me skate gold moves. If I pass my FS then I can because I am eligible for Gold FS. Otherwise, even though I have passed silver moves, that doesn't seem to count!

Thanks!
Danielle

ps) The Compulsary moves and spins are tough!

NoVa Sk8r
10-06-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by dani
I have a question on the entry form to ask - anyone know who I should email? (Jen?)

You can e-mail Peter Tsai with any questions or concerns. He's the one who originally sent out the e-mail announcement.

I don't this forum's policy about posting e-mail addresses, but he seems very amenable to questions, and he wants as many adults to enter as possible so here goes:
petertsai@erols.com

dani
10-06-2003, 12:10 PM
Thanks! I sent an email off.

Hopefully I can learn my camel-sit and pass the silver FS test and my question won't matter ;-) I am working hard on it every day!

Hugs!
Danielle

Terri C
10-06-2003, 06:01 PM
On lesson today, my coach and I already started getting ready for the competition. She'll be at Souths next week ( already in that zone the coaches get into before regionals) and she wants to see both the Bronze/ Pre Bronze MIF elements being competed at the event as well as my program when we start back in two weeks!

I'm glad they put the announcement out early- now waiting on Adult Easterns to see if I can go to that one!

LoopLoop
10-07-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Terri C
I'm glad they put the announcement out early- now waiting on Adult Easterns to see if I can go to that one!
According to the USFSA website, this year's Adult Easterns are at the same place as last year.

RNsk8r
10-07-2003, 06:27 PM
I am slighty confused after reading the announcement for the competition. I am a young adult skater, planning to compete in Silver this season. I was under the impression that the young adult categories followed the adult categories, ie. to compete in silver, you had to have passed no higher than pre-juv, music length was 2:10 or less, and axel was the highest jump. The way I am reading the announcement, is that the young adult categories are a step above the corresponding adult category. The qualifications for young adult silver are no higher than Juv. free test, music 2:40, and axel and doubles allowed. Is this standard for young adult competitions, or is this unique to this competition? I am emailing Peter Tsai, to see what he says, but I wondered if anyone had come across this before. This will be my first young adult competition, and I am a little unclear on the requirements evidently. Thanks in advance for any info on this issue.
Andrea

Terri C
10-07-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by LoopLoop
According to the USFSA website, this year's Adult Easterns are at the same place as last year.

LoopLoop,
I already knew about Syracuse, becuase I e-mailed Tony Conte awhile back, and he told me. I'm acutally waiting for the particular competition information to come out!

sk8pics
10-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Is there anyone here who skated in this event last year, and still has the schedule? I know there's no guarantee it would be the same, but it would help me in planning with my coach if I could see when the pre-bronze events were last year.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pat

skaternum
10-07-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by RNsk8r
The way I am reading the announcement, is that the young adult categories are a step above the corresponding adult category. The qualifications for young adult silver are no higher than Juv. free test, music 2:40, and axel and doubles allowed. Is this standard for young adult competitions, or is this unique to this competition?

You're correct. I think it's pretty common. The Peach Classic is the same way. YA events aren't defined in the rulebook, so the LOC for each comp does the best they can.

Terri C
10-07-2003, 08:10 PM
Hey all!
The announcement for Eastern Adult Secionals is up on the Adult Skating page on the USFSA website!

Black Sheep
10-09-2003, 04:21 PM
.....the best adult comps. take place at the worst travel times (e.g., Peach Classic during the crowded Labor-Day travel weekend, Washington New Year's during the winter with threats of snowstorms)? :roll:

Stormy
10-09-2003, 06:45 PM
I have to agree!! Airfair is always much higher it seems when I go to Peach because it's on a busy travel weekend.

Anyways, I am happy the forms are out for Sectionals. I am printing them out now! :)