View Full Version : Do i have this right?

Lutzgirl
10-04-2003, 07:46 PM
Do i have this right i really need to know......

I am gonna try and repeat all the steps on the Swing Dance to you and some of you HOPEFULLY can tell me if i have it Right!

Ok here i go.....(this is the girls way by the way)
LFO,RFI,LFO,RFI(open mohawk),Rbo,LBOSW,RBO,LBI-ch,RBO,LBO,RBI-ch,LBO,RBOSR,LBOSR,RBO,LFO,RFI,LFO,RFI,LFI,RFOSR,L FO,RFO,LFI-ch,RFO.

OK is that write i dont trust a piece of paper!

Ok i hope to hear your input
thankzzzzzzzz

BittyBug
10-04-2003, 08:54 PM
In your other thread someone suggested the USFSA manual, but as someone pointed out a few weeks ago, all of the US dance patters are actually online under the judges forms section of the USFSA site. Here's the swing dance, which is a little clearer than the link provided in the other thread:

http://www.usfsa.org/about/forms/judgespanel/swing-dance.pdf

If you back up to just judgespanel, you'll see all of the other dances as well.

icedancer2
10-05-2003, 12:04 AM
Well, these are the steps, but you are starting with the end pattern which is in the middle of the dance.

You better look at the pattern. Is there anyone around who can show you how to do the intro to the dance?

good luck!

dooobedooo
10-05-2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Lutzgirl
Do i have this right i really need to know......

I am gonna try and repeat all the steps on the Swing Dance to you and some of you HOPEFULLY can tell me if i have it Right!

Ok here i go.....(this is the girls way by the way)
LFO,RFI,LFO,RFI(open mohawk),Rbo,LBOSW,RBO,LBI-ch,RBO,LBO,RBI-ch,LBO,RBOSR,LBOSR,RBO,LFO,RFI,LFO,RFI,LFI,RFOSR,L FO,RFO,LFI-ch,RFO.

OK is that write i dont trust a piece of paper!

Ok i hope to hear your input
thankzzzzzzzz

You do have a mistake in here - it should read:
LFO,RFI,LFO,RFI(open mohawk),Rbo,LBOSW,RBO,LBI-ch,RBO,LBO,RBI-ch,LBO,RBOSR,LBOSR,RBO,LFO,RFI,LFO, RFI-slide chassee, LFO, RFOSR,LFO,RFO,LFI-ch,RFO.

The girl's RFI slide chassee matches the man's second step of mohawk.

But you are much better off studying the patterns. Don't know if you've noticed, but the man has the same steps as the girl, but down the other side of the rink. ie. girl does half sequence backwards, but then forwards; man does half sequence forwards, then backwards. This means that two girls can do this dance together, so if you can't find a man skater at your rink to show you, ask one of the girls (you can do hand-in-hand instead of waltz hold if you want).

Also, the start pattern you have been given, up to LBOSW, while correct, is actually the last few steps of the dance. Don't change it if this is what your coach wants.

Mrs Redboots
10-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by icedancer2
Well, these are the steps, but you are starting with the end pattern which is in the middle of the dance.We started with that the first couple of years, when my intro-3 was even more unreliable than it is now. The thing is, it doesn't matter what you do to get going, the judges don't start judging until the first step of the dance, which for the woman is the RBO/LBI chasse/RBO. And the important thing is to keep going until the very last step of the dance, which (again for the woman) is the LBO swing roll. And NOT make the mistake I made last weekend and say to your partner "Ah, this is it!" as soon as you've finished the Mohawk (relief, or what?) and so he stops before you finish the dance..... Rats.....

icenut84
10-05-2003, 08:22 AM
Deleted

icedancer2
10-05-2003, 02:34 PM
delete

icedancer2
10-05-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by dooobedooo
You do have a mistake in here - it should read:
LFO,RFI,LFO,RFI(open mohawk),Rbo,LBOSW,RBO,LBI-ch,RBO,LBO,RBI-ch,LBO,RBOSR,LBOSR,RBO,LFO,RFI,LFO, RFI-slide chassee, LFO, RFOSR,LFO,RFO,LFI-ch,RFO.

The girl's RFI slide chassee matches the man's second step of mohawk.

In the US the slide chasse is optional. Dont' know about Canada...

Magz
10-06-2003, 08:53 AM
In Canada we don't do the slide chasse, it's just 5 edges then the RFO swing roll

Mrs Redboots
10-06-2003, 10:02 AM
This is very interesting, because here in the UK you would be severely penalised by the judges if you didn't do the slide chasse, and, if it were in a test, would fail.

What hold are you in, by the way, from the step to forward until the Mohawk? Here, time was you just held hands, and you still may if it is a recreational match, but for tests and proper competitions you have to hold each other's shoulders.

Oh, and in the UK we skate it to the Rocker Foxtrot music - 104 beats/minute; originally we skated it recreationally to ordinary Foxtrot music - 100 bpm - but either way, it's much faster than to the USA music of 96 bpm, which I find really too slow! In international competitions, if there are only British skaters involved, I always ask if we can have the "proper" music; on the other hand, other people get even more put off by it than I do, so maybe I should just go for the slow music.... but I disapprove of gamesmanship, really, so maybe not....

Magz
10-06-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
What hold are you in, by the way, from the step to forward until the Mohawk? Here, time was you just held hands, and you still may if it is a recreational match, but for tests and proper competitions you have to hold each other's shoulders.

During those steps we just hold hands then I believe on the edge after the mohawk we switch to holding eachother's shoulders...but I might be wrong I haven't skated this dance with a partner since I tested it about a year ago.