View Full Version : breaking in boots

chiclet
10-02-2003, 10:17 PM
i just got jackson competitor boots and for me they are way stiffer than i am used to. i just wondering if there were some tips on breaking in new boots and if anyone has ever had this type of boot, and how long it took them to break them in

Keely
10-02-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by chiclet
i just got jackson competitor boots and for me they are way stiffer than i am used to. i just wondering if there were some tips on breaking in new boots and if anyone has ever had this type of boot, and how long it took them to break them in

I just got Jackson Freestyle boots and these are my first ever boots/skates so I ain't an expert. I did, however, read copious amounts of advice on usenet, the Jackson site, and various skating pages and the FAQ.

Jacksons are heat-moldable so you can take them to a shop with the proper convection oven and have them do this for you -- supposedly this reduces the break-in period considerably.

Mine aren't too bad because the feet fit me like gloves -- it's just the whole ankle region that's a bit brutalizing ;) When I bought them, the guy squashed down the places where my ankle dents were, so the ankles are already much better than when I tried them on. Punched out or something? There are slight round bulges where my ankles are now.

I try to wear just enough padding to help with really painful areas, if it's just mildly uncomfortable I am following the no pain, no gain philosophy. I've been wearing them at home 20-30 minutes a day for a week now.

I wear two pairs of knee-highs, and put padding into appropriate places between the two layers. The double layer seems to totally prevent blisters, much better than just one layer, and whatever you use for padding doesn't shift around. I lace tight up until the hooks, and the hooks looser... I leave the top one undone for now.

Anyway, going skating :) this Saturday for their first on-ice breaking-in session.

There are various theories on breaking in boots, I have learned. Do you know how to do a Google Groups search of usenet? There are a million threads about this. Everything from trying wet socks to hairdryers to what kind of padding works best. I am leery about trying things I'm not sure about so I am just following the instructions on the Jackson site to be safe :)

http://www.jacksonskates.com/html/care.html

Livin on Ice
10-03-2003, 08:16 AM
Well i ain't no expert on how to break in figure skates,:?: but i can tell you that from having about 8 pairs of hockey skates in my 7 years of playing, that i have always used the steam method.

Basically just boil water in a kettle, and place the inside of the boot over the steam, wait about 2 minutes to get the inside of the boot warm and moist. After that put it on right away (perferably with socks, or whatever you wear; can be hot bare foot!!) Then wear them around the house with skate guards for about 5-10 minutes, i'd say repeat this couple times after each ice time till you get them broken in.
It worked for my skates, but i would ask someone who has dne it with figure skates also!

garyc254
10-03-2003, 08:22 AM
HOW TO BREAK-IN NEW BOOTS
During the break-in it will be necessary for you to occasionally stop and retie your boots. This is due to the stretching of the new laces, and the boots conforming to the shape of your foot and ankle. We also recommend that you purchase a package of round make-up sponges containing both thin and thick sponges. Slip an appropriate sized sponge in anywhere the skates are irritating your foot. If you act early enough, you'll avoid a blister. If not, the sponge will permit you to skate, even with the blister.

Begin by putting your boots on and lacing them, leaving the top two hooks unused. Skate in your boots in this manner for approximately 4 to 6 hours. This time should be accumulated time. For example you may skate the first day for 30 minutes to an hour and the next day for 1 to 2 hours, your choice. Continue skating until you have accumulated the necessary time. During this time you should not be doing any jumps, spins or other moves that will cause you to do deep knee bending.

Next lace your boots leaving only the top hook unused. Continue skating as above for another 4 to 6 hours following the same precautions as above. Now you can lace them all the way to the top if you desire and begin your regular skating routine.

This may seem like a waste of time and unnecessary. Your boots may feel very comfortable and you will want to perform all of your regular jumps, spins and routines. What could happen if you do, is your boots can break-down instead of break-in. Lacing your boots all the way up and jumping in them before they break-in puts pressure on the boots ankle support and hooks, causing among other things, the boots to crease in the wrong places. This can also put tremendous pressure on the muscles and tendons of your foot and ankle.

Take the time to follow the correct break-in procedures and you will have better performance and fit from your new boots.

eliao
10-03-2003, 02:03 PM
I have Jackson Elites, and yes, they were cement blocks when I first got them. I've been skating in them for about 8 months now, and I still haven't laced them all the way up to the top hook yet! Jacksons also tend to be higher in the heel area, so you're going to feel like you're skating in high heels during the first few sessions, and maybe tripping over your toepicks a few times. The skates were heat moldable, and felt more comfortable than my old Riedells from the beginning, however, I still needed bunga pads around the ankles, and I highly recommend getting some. The only way to properly break them in is skate in them, and have lots of patience! You can read all about my boot break in drama here:

http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4962&highlight=Jackson

Good luck.

Emily

chiclet
10-03-2003, 07:06 PM
thancks a million u right the second or third time i went out they felt way better. it was sooo awfull the first time i couldn't stop in them hehehe my coach was laughing very hard at me but now they are better soo thanx :D