View Full Version : Holiday Show

dani
10-02-2003, 01:57 PM
Hi all!

We just started rehearsals for our holiday show. Our theme this year is Disney and, at my suggestion, we are having an all adult number!! We are going to skate to The Lime and the Coconut. It is fun so far! ;-)

Anything for anyone else to share for their upcoming shows?

Hugs!
Danielle

AshBugg44
10-02-2003, 02:09 PM
I'm going to do a solo to Silent Night in our show.:)

MissIndigo
10-02-2003, 02:21 PM
My club is doing The Wizard of Oz! :D

skaternum
10-02-2003, 04:33 PM
So, dani, are you the lime OR the coconut? :D

garyc254
10-03-2003, 09:40 AM
I don't skate shows. Although my Saturday group lesson coach (she's a sweetheart) says all of her students skate in the Christmas show.

Not me.

icenut84
10-03-2003, 12:02 PM
The Lime and the Coconut? I've never heard of that, what film's it from? :?:

dani
10-03-2003, 02:14 PM
I think it was in Lilo and Stitch, but, besides thinking I have heard it forever, it was in Practical Magic from which I own the CD.

As for the Lime or the coconut, I am not sure which I am ;-) Although, Skaternum should be proud of me, I have a pull spiral during the number ;-) Maybe I can find a *faux* pairs partner yet ;-)

Hugs!
Danielle

mikawendy
10-03-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by garyc254
I don't skate shows. Although my Saturday group lesson coach (she's a sweetheart) says all of her students skate in the Christmas show.

Not me.

Gary--
I know shows aren't for everybody, but you might want to give it a try sometime if there's an adult number. I was recently in my first show and it was a lot of fun. I learned a lot, had a great time with all of the other gals and guys (who ranged in age from 21 to about my mother's age). My skating really improved from it--I really had to push hard on the ice to cover the ice and keep up with the more advanced skaters.

JDC1
10-03-2003, 02:37 PM
I'm with you. I was going to try and do it last year with my adult group skating class but we never got enough practice time and I don't want to go out there and look stupid and/or bore the audience. Generally I don't want to perform at all until I can have a program that wouldn't bore me to watch so I've never been interested in doing a program until I either pass Bronze adult move and free style or maybe my bronze dances. I still have the vivid memory of sitting through program after program after program of kids doing lunges and pivots, haven't been back to a Christmas show since.

jazzpants
10-03-2003, 05:37 PM
I've done one group Christmas shows with the grown-ups. And I'm with Gary on this. I will NOT go back and do group numbers b/c 1) My moves still STINKS, 2) I jump and spin the other way, and 3) they rehearse at times that I can't make. :(

JDC1: I haven't passed my Bronze Moves yet...and I'm certainly NOT getting that much closer to taking the darn test yet. :x But I'm doing a solo program this year (not for Christmas... but for a local competition) b/c I don't think that I'll pass Bronze Moves (never mind FS!!!) in time to be eligible for AN in 2004. Frankly, I'm getting sick of working nothing but MOVES the past stinkin' year and a half plus. Of course, it doesn't mean I don't continue to work on moves. They're in the program!!! :twisted:

Mrs Redboots
10-04-2003, 06:41 AM
I, too, agree with Gary. I did a show number once with our club for a competition, and I absolutely loathed it. Not because I hated skating a tree, or whatever it was I was skating, but simply because I was so terrified of getting it wrong, and letting everybody else down!

I also hate dancing in matches for our club, for the same reason - if we lose, it's letting the club down. I'd rather dance ten Open championships than one RIDL match! There, if I dance badly, it's only myself and perhaps Robert who has been let down.....

On the other hand, having said that, it's really something everybody ought to do once in their skating lives, if only to find out what it's really like. You never know - you might love it!

Black Sheep
10-04-2003, 06:17 PM
I've done a couple numbers in shows which I really hated (the numbers, not the shows):

1. In "Circus on Ice" at my former home rink in the Spring of 1997, I had tried out for a solo the previous November. A miserable audition had landed me in the "Clown Chorus," and I had to wear this ridiculous puffy clown costume I absolutely loathed. :evil:

2. In "Nutcracker on Ice" at a rink further north in December 1997, another bad audition got me the role of Mama Giglione ("Mama G"), and I had to wear this huge, heavy skirt and drag two tots ("Pochinelles") under it. When one of them fell down and got up again under that skirt in one of the performances, people kept rubbing it in. What was I to do? :roll: