View Full Version : Maggot Food or Caviar? Lessons/practices 28st to 5th

SDFanatic
09-30-2003, 03:03 PM
Well, nobody else started a new week yet, so what the heck!

Maggot Food: Well, this actually belongs on last weeks, but due to this that and what not, I missed three days of skating. This week hasn't gone all that well either. Woke up too late to make it to the one session, but did make it to the other rink for their session. Was thinking of going anyways to see one of the adult skaters I haven't seen in a while, but alas, she didn't skate that day. Supposedly I had a coach today, but she didn't show up or call, so I haven't a clue as to whats going on. Ice was ok today, but feet are still getting a bit sore, and the boots have a ways to break in yet by the looks of it. She started me on Waltz jumps last week, and while I have been able to play with them, I think I'm still a bit off with them, and I had really wanted to do more spins. We also were sopposedly going to discuss some things such as testing, ah well. Now I'm starting to think my purple outfit is jinxed, as twice I've worn it, and twice she hasn't made it.

Caviar: Unfortunitly, I have nothing good to report, yet.

Steven

CanAmSk8ter
09-30-2003, 04:39 PM
LOL I love this week's title!

Maggot Food: The rink keeps messing with our ice time. I was all excited about being able to skate more than I had originally planned; now they're taking that ice back. I keep reminding myself that this isn't the time of year to worry about it, since I don't compete again until February and the two tests I want to take before then are both coming along nicely, but as a general rule I don't like change and I was really liking the different schedule. Oh well.

Caviar: Pretty much everything is going well, considering how badly I need my skates sharpened. The only dance I really was having problems with was the American, which I didn't feel like practicing today (or yesterday, or last week) anyway. Hopefully I can get my skates done tomorrow or Thursday.

Also Caviar: I competed on Sunday and placed 8th of 11 skaters. That's the highest I've placed yet at my current level. I thought I could have been a bit higher, but I haven't watched the videotape yet, so maybe it wasn't as good as I thought. We only had three judges instead of five like usual, so maybe with a bigger panel I would have gotten a couple of higher ordinals and pulled up. The judging was a little odd in all of the dance groups, although my group wasn't as strange as some. I had a friend who won her event with a second, three firsts, and an eighth. That was par for the course for that group. But I've now managed to complete an entire season with no events blown due to nerves. A year ago I was contemplating whether I should quit competing because I couldn't seem to get my nerves under control no matter what I did. But this season, after Adult Sectionals anyway, I've done clean performance after clean performance, and consistantly placed quite a bit higher than last year.

sk8er1964
09-30-2003, 09:17 PM
Good job, CanAmSk8er. The mental is always the biggest hurdle, and to come from almost quitting competing to being happy with your performances is a great thing.

Maggots: My back hurts. In the last weekend, I skated 4 1/2 hours (2 hours more than normal), golfed 18 holes, and canned lots of tomatoes (which involves a lot of heavy lifting). So that is probably the problem, however I wonder if it is not mental, due to the fact that I am scheduled to compete in 3 weeks. 3 weeks before my last "first" comp I hurt my hip flexor (of course, that injury turned out to be very real and very serious). I'm ok on all jumps except the axel, and all spins except the sit spin. I know I need to not do axels, but my competitive mind is screaming "you must practice them in the program!!! (Just like the footwork/flip-loop wasn't working until I did them nine zillion times - now it is fine.)

Caviar: Oh joy! Got rid of a part of my program that I always hated. This is the same program that I did for AN (no time between my moves test and now to do a new program) and I always hated this cutsie move. I am not cutsie. Before AN between my injury and the lack of time we never had the time to tweek the choreography. Now that awful move is gone! Yeah!

Mrs Redboots
10-01-2003, 05:54 AM
Yes, I agree, this week's title is brilliant!

Last night was pretty mixed - you pays your money and you takes your chance - we were tired, I think, and the first efforts to rejig our OD into a FD were a bit disastrous. We both agreed that we couldn't think on the other leg! But when we tried to do our back chasses in the other direction, it was even more disastrous and we kept ending up at the barrier, so I think we'll have to think with our other legs.... if that makes sense (i.e. start the dance in the opposite direction, so what was Left, Right, Left-chasse-left, right-chasse-right becomes Right, Left, Right-chasse-right, left-chasse-left, etc).

Then it was figure club so we couldn't dance any more (although I did see Robert working on his Blues quite a lot), and I was choreographing my new Interpretive. Well, most of that is okay but I had a mental breakthrough that has left me rather frustrated. I realised that when I jump - which I rarely do, but you have to sometimes, even when you're a dancer - I either push into my jumps and then wimp out of them or don't push into them, which makes for respectable jumps but with no flow and they probably look as tentative as they feel. Same applies to my 3-turns.

So today in my lesson we worked on waltz 3s, until I decided that it was the back edges as much as anything, so we then worked on alternating 3s, which I was very pleased with (no toe-tap!!!), and then the Mohawk sequence, which I haven't done for years and never used to be able to do. Then I showed my coach what I'd done with my Interp, and he liked it a lot, and had some interesting comments. We agreed it was still sketchy at this stage.

Pure caviar: Then we worked on my back edges, and although he kept yelling at me to bring my feet together on the push AND to open my hips (two instructions I find mutually incompatible), I managed to get round the rink without losing speed although they were a bit flat! I was delighted. And my back inside edges weren't bad, either! Not quite what they should be yet, but they're coming!

So that was a high to end with, and as I was very tired, I called it a morning.....

SDFanatic
10-02-2003, 09:31 PM
Well, I guess the subject line isn't all that great given the so few replies so far, or did everyone just take off this week?

Maggot Food: Once again my coach had something come up and had to cancel lessons once again, and next week she is going out of town. So I am getting even further behind then what I already am, on top of missing the stuff she wanted me to work on and what I need to do to move ahead.

Caviar: Honestly? I can't think of anything other then just getting some practice in, and having two people guess my age as being under my actual age.

Steven

sk8er1964
10-02-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by SDFanatic
Well, I guess the subject line isn't all that great given the so few replies so far, or did everyone just take off this week?

Well, you know, maggots are kind of gross - of course, IMO, caviar is even grosser! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (I'm just teasing, SD)

Caviar - I complemented a young skater (10-11 years old?) on her program. She has very nice presentation. She in turn complemented me on my axel. Warm-fuzzy. Landed the axel-toe in my program, too. Maybe I will actually be able to stay on my feet at my comp in three weeks ;) .

dbny
10-02-2003, 10:39 PM
Maggot Food
Why do I find FI brackets less scary than either FI or Fo threes? Still having fits with the threes.

Caviar
One of the other coaches at the Mommy & Me sometimes also skates afterwards, and yesterday we spent an hour sharing tips from our lessons (we have different coaches). Even better, she had me do FI and FO threes in tango hold with her. It was great for quelling the fear, and I was able to do the turns at speeds much faster (that's not saying much) than usual. And....my one foot spin seems to be on its way back!

sk8pics
10-03-2003, 06:32 AM
Caviar: Falling on a toe loop! :lol: Actually, my coach and I were using the harness to rework my toe loop. It was working pretty well and gave me the confidence to really go fo the jump. Well, on one jump I landed pitched forward on my toepick and as I tried to regain my balance, my coach pulled up on the harness. That pitched me forward even more and I fell over sideways, actually in a perfect fall, and landed on my hip and butt. I was pretty surprised, he was laughing, and it was all fine, and it was HIS fault anyway! And that was my first fall on a jump, ever! So actually I thought it was kind of cool. Weird, I know, but it made me feel even more like a skater. :roll:

Happy skating everyone.
Pat

batikat
10-03-2003, 09:15 AM
well here's my week - I haven't contributed up to now as I am still shattered fom my 21 hour day on Sunday at the British Adult Championships. We were up at 5.15am to get to the rink for practice ice between 6.30 and 7.30, skated compulsories at 8.45am had a long wait til 3.40 to skate our OD's and then a 3 hour wait for results, presentations (which I had to stay for having got a medal - whoo hoo!!) at 8.15pm and then I had a 4 hour drive home. Didn't get to bed til gone 2am and then had to get up to go to college on Monday.

caviar
getting a 3rd place medal on Sunday!:D

decided in my lesson on Tuesday to convert my march OD into a Free dance for the next competition on Oct 19th which means I get to wear my dress again and hopefully someone will manage to catch my performance on video this time.

Caviar flavoured maggots :??
went to the jumps and spins group class. Only 3 of us there adn she had us trying to do some things I woudl not have dreamed of trying normally. Backspins which I can't do, parallel spins which I can't do, sit spins which are OK so she decided we should try change foot sit spins, the change foot parallel and then - at which point we were wondering what on earth she was on this morning - the flying camel!!:roll:
Strangely my camel change camel was closer to success than my sit change sit but neither would have been recognisable to anyone watching I dont' think. ;)

very fat and grungy maggots

The loop - what is it with this jump. I still say it is physically impossible. Ah well - one day.........

Jess-ka
10-03-2003, 10:07 AM
hmm okay new at this....
maggot food my asthma was really bad yesterday so out of the 3 1/2 hours i was supposed to skate i could only do one...one really lousey slow practice:( and every muscle in my body hurts from off ice yesterday...not to sure if this is good or not yet.

caviar i did off ice with these two other girls i am friends with and yeah it was a blast, and i didn't have to go in the pool instead i got to get stretched and i can almost touch my feet to the floor when i lay on my back and pull my legs down into a straddle type thing! I was excited...now if only i could be as strong as i am flexible.....=/hmmm

SDFanatic
10-03-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by sk8er1964
Well, you know, maggots are kind of gross - of course, IMO, caviar is even grosser! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (I'm just teasing, SD)

LOL! I won't diagree with you there, I was trying to think of something that would be considered a delicacy, unfortunitly, thats the first thing that came to mind! I've never had it however, so I don't know how good or bad it tastes, course maggots are considered a delicacy in some parts of the world, ah well.

Steven

icenut84
10-03-2003, 12:20 PM
I skated today, and had a freestyle lesson.

We did a couple of exercises first, then started a few jumps (I haven't jumped in months). We only did waltz jumps and salchows. My waltz jump was fine - some were pretty good, and I also did 3 in a row. My coach wanted me to do this weird arm thing though, which was bringing both my arms forward in front of me as I'm on the BO edge and turning my body round a little (in prep for the take off), then moving both arms back & down as I step forward (pulling them in like normal for the jump). I don't get the arm thing - it feels weird to bring my arms forward and together first. Hmm.

My salchow was ok. Coach said the preparation and the three turn was good, and that's normally what people have the problem on, but I checked it well. :) I just need to make sure I have a good curve into it and take off right. They were all ok though.

Then spins. Coach said that I should jump & spin in the same direction (I've been practicing spins both ways because the opposite way is usually a little better than my normal way). I've been having lots of trouble with spins, but the first one I tried for him was actually one of the best ones I've done for a while! (It was only about 3 revs, but the centring was much better, and the entry curve was better too, and I finished it properly, rather than just putting my toe down when I lose my balance which is what's been happening lately for the most part.) I think the main problem I'm having is not holding the entry edge quite long enough, so that's one of the things I've got to work on now. They were a little better though.

As soon as my lesson was over and I was practicing on my own again - they were gone. Why am I better in lessons than when I'm on my own? It's so frustrating sometimes.

Gave up eventually, and started practicing the exercises I was given in my dance lesson on Monday, which were quite good, so that's something! One of the other skaters was trying to land double axels and ended up in tears. Poor girl.

Not sure when I'm skating/having lessons next. The timetables go a bit skee-whiff for the next couple of weeks.

mikawendy
10-03-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by batikat
went to the jumps and spins group class. Only 3 of us there adn she had us trying to do some things I woudl not have dreamed of trying normally. Backspins which I can't do, parallel spins which I can't do, sit spins which are OK so she decided we should try change foot sit spins, the change foot parallel and then - at which point we were wondering what on earth she was on this morning - the flying camel!!:roll:

What's a parallel spin? I don't have a rulebook and I don't think I've learned these yet. Is it an upright spin? Is it a one-foot spin with the free foot held at the ankle of the spinning foot but NOT crossed as in a scratch spin?

mikawendy
10-03-2003, 02:28 PM
Caviar--
Got to practice on Tuesday on the all-adult session that my rink just started offering. It was nice--not very crowded. (Thanks for the ride, flo!)

I worked on my forward and backward consecutive edges and am getting better flow from all of them; BI still feels wonky but is improving slowly.

Worked on FI3s and RFI3 is coming along. I can do an eensy double 3, but the middle lobe (BO edge) isn't really the same size as the other 2 lobes, so I know they aren't TRUE double 3s yet.

Maggots
LFI3s. Ugh ugh ugh. I must make myself practice these every session until I can do them without a two-foot assist so that I can start to work on the alternating FI3s from the Pre-Bronze MIF test.

Didn't have time to practice spins or jumps at all, I was working on edgework so much. I really want to work on my spins more because I still really haven't been able to consistently get to the sweet spot on the blade of the spinning foot in my new skates. It feels like the sweet spot is farther back on my new blades than on my old ones, which had less of a rocker.

flo
10-03-2003, 03:16 PM
Caviar. I love caviar pizza!
I had a pretty good practice at the adult session with Mika. It's a good one to work on programs and edge runs that fill the ice. Mika looks great, and is moving along. My coach adn I refined some of the program, and he's suggested a very strange change of edge move for the ending. We'll see!

twinkle
10-03-2003, 03:30 PM
A parallel spin is another name used in the UK for a camel spin.

batikat
10-03-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by mikawendy
What's a parallel spin?

Sorry Mikawendy - I get confused with the differences between American and British terms. A parallel spin is exactly the same as a camel spin. We always seem to call it a parallel here unless it is flying as 'Flying parallel' just doesn't sound right whereas 'flying camel ' just trips off the tongue. I've started confusing my friends here by talking about waltz jumps - they look at me like I'm from another planet til I realise it's an Americanism I've picked up from these message boards and quickly explain I mean a 3 jump.
My toe-loop gets called a 'cherry' (as in cherry flip) yet my (as yet non-existent)'flip' could also be a 'toe-salchow'. As far as i know there are no alternatives for Loop and Lutz.

sk8er1964
10-03-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by icenut84
I skated today, and had a freestyle lesson.

We did a couple of exercises first, then started a few jumps (I haven't jumped in months). We only did waltz jumps and salchows. My waltz jump was fine - some were pretty good, and I also did 3 in a row. My coach wanted me to do this weird arm thing though, which was bringing both my arms forward in front of me as I'm on the BO edge and turning my body round a little (in prep for the take off), then moving both arms back & down as I step forward (pulling them in like normal for the jump). I don't get the arm thing - it feels weird to bring my arms forward and together first. Hmm.

That's the axel take-off procedure :D 8O .

singerskates
10-03-2003, 10:13 PM
Maggot: Still don't have my music completely done. Had it on my computer but then got a new mother board. When I moved my files over to the D compartment before reformatting the C compaartment, my skating music was deleted, just my programs not anyone elses. So, I had to get the MP3 I left at my CAS yahoo group and change it back to a .wav form to work on it. When I did that, I lost the opening music and first word of the song. I guess it was compressed too much as an MP3.

Then yesterday, I couldn't get my loop to work. I also had a hard time to remember what my choreographer did to my program last time.

Just when I got the waltz/toe combo from a forward take-off from practically a dead stop after one stroke at the very beginning of my program. It was erased from my program. Now I have to do a waltz/toe/toe from a series of crossstrokes.

In my program, my salchow was heavily cheated (see below the weird take-off set up).

Backspin wouldn't go beyond 1 and 1.5 revs.

Did't do any flips.

Caviar:
Today, it didn't matter as my choreographer once again changed my program. He's changed where I begin my program on the ice. The opening waltz/toe combo has been moved to another part of my program. So now I start sort of in the middle of the ice heading towards the judges with two strokes and then a bunny hop, then mohawk to deep backward edge with left leg extended forward and then I turn forward with a few crosscuts into alternating crossstrokes into a waltz jump/toe/toe loop combo with extended landing exit into R back crosscuts into a R back spiral, step forward to do a slide lung and then change direction into a salchow from mohawk, and then do a few back strokes and then step forward to a three turn on my right knee and get up backwards. That's as far as we got and it's not even through the first verse of the song. "When You Believe" interpretive for Adult Canadians.

I finally got the waltz/toe/toe from a series of crossstrokes at the end of my session. Phew!

During my warm up at the beginning of my session, my waltz, toe and salchow where decent.

Did practice flip take off and landing positions without rotating.

Yesterday:
Sort of Caviar and sort of Maggots:
Practiced the flip jump like mad. Never made it cleanly all the way around but did get 3/4's twice even though I landed on my outside right edge and nearly fell over except for my fast feet. The flip is getting there.

On Tuesday this past week, my coach said that she'll put me in the harness this coming Tuesday for my backspin and flip and maybe the loop as well. I think it's all a head case with me not getting the flip, loop or backspin and so does she.

Mrs Redboots
10-04-2003, 06:46 AM
My toe-loop gets called a 'cherry' (as in cherry flip) yet my (as yet non-existent)'flip' could also be a 'toe-salchow'. As far as i know there are no alternatives for Loop and Lutz. Although some people say "Rittberger" for Loop jump (and I've noticed most older skaters/teachers say "loop jump" to avoid confusion with the figure of that name), but that's German, really.

Don't forget also drag for lunge, and teapot for shoot-the-duck.

Rob and I are having a couple of days off skating - we've overdone it and need a break. However, RIDL match tomorrow, deep sigh....

Steven, Caviar is delicious - not that I've had the real thing, only lumpfish roe....

reeta
10-04-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
Although some people say "Rittberger" for Loop jump (and I've noticed most older skaters/teachers say "loop jump" to avoid confusion with the figure of that name), but that's German, really.

Here in Finland loop is also called Rittberger, however nobody
really calls it that but it is usually shortened to "ritti".
It is called loop jump as well, but that is even longer in
finnish ("silmukkahyppy").

icenut84
10-04-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by sk8er1964
That's the axel take-off procedure :D 8O .

Really?? What, you mean bringing your arms together in front of you before you step forward? If so, that's very exciting! lol :)

sk8er1964
10-04-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by icenut84
Really?? What, you mean bringing your arms together in front of you before you step forward? If so, that's very exciting! lol :)

Yep. You bring your arms forward before stepping forwards (actually, the way I do it, the arms coming forward are all kind of mixed in with the start of the step - hard to explain in writing), then back again which helps you set up for the knee bend/upper thrust/arm movement you need to get the axel take off!

mikawendy
10-04-2003, 07:34 PM
I've started confusing my friends here by talking about waltz jumps - they look at me like I'm from another planet til I realise it's an Americanism I've picked up from these message boards and quickly explain I mean a 3 jump.

Thanks, batikat, for the info. I've heard people use the term 3 jump before. I even read somewhere that one can do a jump that matches every one-foot turn in skating and that people used to do these much more than they do now. For example, one could do a rocker jump. I think I saw someone do one (or maybe a counter jump) in U.S. Nationals last year--possible Jeff Buttle? Personally, I can't imagine doing a rocker jump because I'm not yet able to do a rocker turn!! :O)

Caviar--
Worked on waltz jumps in lesson today--our instructor emphasized the path of the free (landing)leg during the jump, which was good since I'm so stressed about taking off on a secure FO edge that I don't even have ANY awareness of my other leg during the jump!!

I also worked on spinning during practice and lesson today. I did a few two-foot to one-foot spins just to feel where my weight should be on the blade. They felt good--fast and centered. But scratch spin with BI-FO entry was TOO scratchy--my weight is just too far forward. I think that it has to do with me getting used to my new Jackson boots. The heel is higher, pushing me farther forward, and I haven't yet gotten to the point where I'm getting all the knee bend I want from the boots.

Maggots--
Must get more knee bend!!! I feel so much more secure the more I can bend my knees.

Jess-ka
10-04-2003, 08:16 PM
caviar: talked to the hot guy at our rink, and had a good lesson, also i had another really good off-ice lesson,i got to use the big green ball and yeah it was fun i had a good practice this morning but it was a tad crowded but oh well. we worked on all of my dances today on my lesson and once i figured out where my partner should be i was able to do them fine^_^

maggots: hmm there was none WHEEEEE!^_^

jazzpants
10-04-2003, 09:52 PM
No caviar... LOTS of maggot food!!! :x :evil:

We'll start with the kids who zipped through the middle of the rink today. The ice guard doesn't have a CLUE that if kids don't listen to you about rules, you're supposed to ESCORT THEM OFF THE ICE!?!?!

UH OH!!! My LFO3 is TOTALLY gone and I'm trying to get them back. It's probably a good thing since my old one is not "technically correct" and I need to relearn it correctly anyway. I was closer to getting them back but it wasn't consistent. I'm don't know what the heck happened.

The worst part... my lower back is SORE again! I *MUST* see my chiro soon.

MissIndigo
10-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Mmm, the joy of skating is back. Not that I had ever really lost it mind you, but lately I was beginning to feel burned out. (Hence my lack of posting in these weekly threads.) However, continuing encouragement from my coach as well as the possibility of getting new skates has perked me up, and my local seasonal rink will be opening within days. Gonna save a lot of time and gas money for sure.

I have a chance to get some hardly used Klingbeils for only $175. I don't think I'll be able to resist this one. My moves coach isn't keen on my Risport boots and frankly, they are starting to cause me problems. As some of you know, the heels on the Risports are sky-high, and that throws me too far forward.

Today, my club hosted its first-ever Adults Only freestyle session, at my suggestion. The feedback I got from the people who did attend was really good and they want more sessions like this. I fully intend to push for more of these, as well as better publicize it next time, but now I know more about the group of skaters we need to target. It's pleasant to be able to skate and not worry about people making sudden moves or little kids who don't know ice ettiquette. We adults, as a group, are very respectful of each other and just do our own thing without getting in each other's way. As a group, we're very complimentary of each other's skating, focusing on the positive, and offering constructive feedback. Put the spark back in me today to do some elements with my peers and get and offer tips and tricks to make elements the best they could be.

I did my best camel spin *ever* today too. W00t!!! Some other skaters and I also experimented with catch-foot camels, and that had...um...humorous and mixed results.

Moves are coming along, and the power 3's are steadily improving. Jazzpants, you may borrow my LFO 3 if you need it...might I be able to borrow your RFO 3? :D With moves, I go from so hot to cold on them. One day will rock, the next will suck. Hopefully, now that the rink in my city will be opening in a couple of weeks, I can get there at least every other day to practice. Now, I'm making it twice a week if I'm lucky.

Happy about today, no matter what.

singerskates
10-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Caviar:

Went to a public session at my home club's rink. What a difference from what my city lets you do on the ice! Windsor doesn't let you go backwards, never mind footwork. I love Tecumseh for what they allow you to do and how they handle things.

I was allowed to do anything I wanted; spins, jumps, footwork, spirals and the works. I made sure to ask the skate patrol first before I did anything. He told me as long as I watched out for everyone else, I could do anything I wanted. So I did.

Waltz jump by itself
toe loop by itself
salchow by itself
footwork by itself
waltz/toe/toe combo preceeded by 4 forward crossstrokes and jumped from them
back right edge with left leg extended high infront
spirals
3 forward spins from RBO lunge centred

Maggot Food:
backspin won't go passed 1 and 1/2 revs before I fall out of them.
forward spins without the RBO lunge preceeding them were not centered.
flip jump was still under rotated and I am not getting my left foot to wrap in front of my right foot when I pick in with my right foot and my legs are wide open in the air. Still forgetting to use my arms when doing the flip.

plinko
10-05-2003, 05:50 PM
caviar:
I did a one foot spin again, apparently last week's spin was not a fluke.
Adult group lessons start next Saturday, still out of town but closer than where I have been skating.

maggot food:
I went to a public session also today. The first 15 minutes were ok, only about 20 people on the ice and I practiced my spin and another lady was practicing her swing dance. Then the other 150 people came on the ice with the strollers and ice helper things so I'd had enough.

garyc254
10-05-2003, 10:00 PM
Maggot food: Saturday group lesson. Was warming up back crossovers in a figure eight. Tried to get good deep knees when my right knee just collapsed under my weight. Right knee smacked the ice. Left leg drug behind pulling my groin muscle. Ice and NSAIDS. Ouch!!!

Caviar: Went to a skating demo Saturday evening and met Matt Savoie while he was warming up in the lobby. A very nice young gentleman. We didn't talk for long as he was trying to warm up. He's the kind of skater I hate. He's so good that he makes it look easy and I know it's not. :lol: He made me feel better when he caught a toepick moving straight and level down the ice. On all of the jumps, spins, and footwork he didn't miss a beat. He stumbled while gliding. The ice puts us all in our places.

Also, my favorite local skater (although she skates at the national level), Kelsey Drewel, skated two programs. I've watched Kelsey practice and her power is amazing. In the past, I was concerned that her artistic ability wasn't up to national levels. Within 10 seconds of her first program I had to eat those thoughts. She's obviously been working hard on those lovely flowing movements that give figure skating it's style and grace.

Way to go Matt and Kelsey!!!

I've always said that I could do everthing Kelsey and Matt can do on the ice. I'll just do it a whole lot slower and the ambulance can be waiting for me when I'm done. :lol:

dbny
10-05-2003, 10:30 PM
Aw, Gary :( Do you wear knee pads? They've saved me more than once and I even skated my test with them. I've never had a knee give way, it must be frightening. Hope I don't ever have to find out.

Maggot food:
Went to a crowded Sat public session because friend was meeting us so we could help her daughter get new skates. Turned out the daughter sprained her ankle the night before, but we had scheduled lessons, so we had to go. It was such a zoo, that I told our coach we couldn't stay. She very graciously refused our attempt to pay, as she hadn't passed by anyone else for that time and was at the rink for other lessons anyway (OK, that's caviar).

Monday freestyle is cancelled in favor of a noon to 4 public session, since NYC public schools are closed on Mon for Yom Kippur. You can see how observant I am, I was going to that freestyle.

mikawendy
10-05-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by dbny
Aw, Gary :( Do you wear knee pads? They've saved me more than once and I even skated my test with them. I've never had a knee give way, it must be frightening. Hope I don't ever have to find out.

Gary--you might want to try the SkatingSafe pads (http://www.skatingsafe.com) that elsy2 recommended in a post a few months ago. A skater at my rink also recommended them to me. She skates pairs and always wears her pads when practicing jumps, throws, or death spirals.

I ordered a pair and they've saved me from bashing up my knee (except for the time that I caught a toe pick on forward stroking BEFORE my pads arrived in the mail, ouchy). The new ones that SkatingSafe offers are gel-filled, but I bought the older version, called "Impact Absorbers" because they're sort of a thick rubber and thus are cuttable--I cut them into pieces that are better suited for my size. And I know the pads work because I caught a toe pick the other day in edge class and had quite a spectacular, noisy fall, but didn't hurt myself anywhere that I was padded. I think I tweaked out my upper back, though--it's been twinging ever since...

Gary--I hope you're feeling better soon

jazzpants
10-06-2003, 01:31 AM
First thing... Gary, I hope you'll feel better real soon.

dbny: I unfortunately had my leg buckle under on crossovers last year. The worst part was that back then I wore those bulky foam knee pads and when I fell, the pad shift on impact from the fall, so it was essentially as good as NOT having the knee pads. :( I was off skating for at least a couple of weeks from a NASTY bruise! (Thank goodness it wasn't worse...) And took the better part of a half year to recover from the shock well enough where I'm not as afraid to go faster again.

Because of that and this relates to mikawendy's post, I can vouch for the SkatingSafe pads. (I got the gel filled ones.) I have fell on them before, INCLUDING on my tailbone. The worst fall to date so far wearing those was falling on the tailbone and having the initially sting. After that I was back skating in about 5 minutes and it didn't hurt at all. As for knees, it certainly lessen the pain of the impact. At worst I got a small bruise that went away in a couple of days. As for hips... I don't know. I've fallen on the ice, but lately my falls were more of the sliding variety. which is exactly what you should do b/c it lessen the impact on the fall, so it won't hurt as much. Of course, my worst fear now is becoming the "bowling ball" and hitting another skater as I'm sliding. :roll:

Mrs Redboots
10-06-2003, 09:52 AM
Oh, Gary - how very nasty. My leg never has collapsed, thankfully, but when I had sciatica I was afraid it would!

Yesterday we had a really good lesson in the morning; the coach won't let us do too much to our OD, except exaggerate things, as he said the re-positioning I was working on meant we kept waving our behinds at the judges, which I said would be very nice for them, given Robert's behind, but he wasn't having that..... so really we have only changed the ending. But he was most complimentary, and had also heard very good things about us from someone who'd gone to watch the Championships.

In the afternoon we had our RIDL match, and I heard from another friend who'd been at the Championships that he'd videotaped our performance, so I'm longing to see that. Everybody says it's far and away the best thing that we've ever done, even though it's a bit uneven, but I'm so pleased!

However, back to earth and we lost our match again - sadly, the only skaters from our club who did! The Club won both Junior and Senior legs, and overall won the Juniors on skating only, was second when all the feeble "bonus points" (for older or younger couples, etc) were taken into consideration, and was second outright in the Seniors. I just wish Robert and I could have done more to help that win.... But we were pleased with how we skated, and a friendly judge told me we were skating much more as a couple now (which is exactly what I wanted to hear, as we've been working on it), but now needed to move more and Robert needs not to defer to me so much!

And I wasn't too disappointed we lost, given our opposition - we'd have been very hard put to beat them, and we were pleased with how we skated.

The Exhibitions were given by our Junior skaters, Kerry Austin and Harry Souter, who are just off to Ostrava (I think), and we were totally amazed - in costume, with the rink to themselves, they are really fantastic. I've known Kerry some years now, and I've never seen her skate so well. Good luck to them both. One of our senior couples (okay, so this belongs on another forum, but indulge me for once!), Candice Towler-Green and James Phillipson, gave a demonstration of the Ravensberger Waltz, and I know they hate doing it, but they looked good! They are off to Skate Israel, along with Candy's sister Phillipa and her partner, Philip Poole (there are too many variations on "Philip" around the place!), and I think they are all feeling that their wildest dreams are coming true....

Oh, and, every finger crossed, I was realising how much better my back felt now....

jazzpants
10-06-2003, 10:06 AM
Oh, I did have ONE CAVIAR on Sat!!! I got my skating dress from the company. (Wait! Since I hate wearing skating dresses, is that REALLY a caviar???) :roll: :lol: Anyway, it's a pretty dress. Now I have to get it stoned. :D

Mrs Redboots
10-06-2003, 10:17 AM
By the way, jazzpants, your message box is now overflowing - I tried to PM you with good luck for your routine, but it rejected it.

garyc254
10-06-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by mikawendy
Gary--you might want to try the SkatingSafe pads

Thanks to all for the suggestions and sympathy. The knee isn't swollen much anymore, but does have a huge purple-brown bruise. At least I'm not limping this morning and will probably skate tonight.

That's the first time I've really fallen hard on my knees. If I had to put padding on to protect all of the places I've fallen, I'd look like the Pillsbury Dough Boy on the ice. :lol:

Still, having the pads does sound like a good idea.

flo
10-06-2003, 11:10 AM
Hi Gary,
Glad you're better.
Here's a Halloween costume for you. Last year I went as a special delivery package. I made a skating outfit out of bubble wrap, and had "handle with care", "fragile", and "priority mail" stickers all over.

garyc254
10-06-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by flo
Here's a Halloween costume for you. Last year I went as a special delivery package. I made a skating outfit out of bubble wrap, and had "handle with care", "fragile", and "priority mail" stickers all over.

Halloween heck.... I need to wear that anytime I skate. :lol:

What a cool idea for a costume.

quarkiki2
10-06-2003, 11:31 AM
Gary, so sorry to hear about your fall. Sounds like a hard one.

On the other hand, LOL, the thought of you covered in padding reminds me of the moms who send their young'uns onto the ice in huge padded snowsuits so thick they can't move, LOL!

Well, I tested Freestyle 1 on Saturday. I don't have a clue how I did. If my instructor was testing us, I'm fairly certain I'd have a "gimme" pass, but we had someone else test us. I know I got High Passes on the pivot, two-foot, spin and spiral. I'm sure I got a Pass on the back inside edges and may have gotten a Low Pass on the 1/2 flip and back outside edges. I also know I Failed the waltz jump. If you average all of the elements, I may have passed, but I won't find out until Saturday.

In any case, I hope that my next class is much smaller. 8-10 in a Freestyle 1 class is way too many. We spend more time trying to gather everyone than we do learning. I that the other adults and I struggled with some of the elements (2-foot spin) because we never got to them in class, really. Just a discussion about how to set them up, no actual mention of hat to do while in the spin. I managed to glean a few pointers from another adult with whom I occasionally practice and I did turn out a 5-revolution spin for the test, but I could have easily botched it.

Anyway, I'm planning to practice my back outside edges in case I need a quick re-test on this coming Saturday. I don't know how much hope there is for my waltz jump, but I'll try to make my 1/2 flip a little more than a skip, LOL! Plus I need to work on my Synchro footwork. The chorepgrapher wants us to do inside Ina Bauers and the dircetion she picked hurts my hip, so I'm going to fool around with it and see if I can get into the position without pain. It's funny -- it doesn't hurt at all off-ice, but on-ice it kills.

garyc254
10-06-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by MissIndigo
Today, my club hosted its first-ever Adults Only freestyle session, at my suggestion. The feedback I got from the people who did attend was really good and they want more sessions like this. I fully intend to push for more of these, as well as better publicize it next time, but now I know more about the group of skaters we need to target.

Glad to hear you joy on ice is returning.

A couple of rinks in my area offer Adult Only sessions. People travel up to 50 miles to attend. These sessions are not only for figure skaters. We get hockey and speed skaters, too. Since we're all adults, we don't get in each others way very often. The sessions are well attended.

Make sure you advertise your adult session at all of the area rinks.

jazzpants
10-06-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
By the way, jazzpants, your message box is now overflowing - I tried to PM you with good luck for your routine, but it rejected it.
I just clean out the Inbox again. (Sheesh, the mailbox here is TINY!!!) :( But since you have my email, I suggest using my email address. You'll get faster response through there.

Thank you for the well wishes! I'll need it! :lol:

SDFanatic
10-06-2003, 08:25 PM
Glad your feeling better Gary, I landed on my left butt again doing silly backwards swizzles demonstrating them to someone, such silliness!

And good luck Jazzpants!

Caviar: (OMG! Caviar came first today!) I was able to get in a lesson with my old coach, I spent an hour with her going over the waltz jump and the two foot spin. Both are coming along pretty good it seems, she was pleased with how I progressed even though I didn't see it. I hope I can remember most of the stuff she taught me, it's not easy to get a lesson with her.

Maggot Food: Oh my, I guess five hours is a bit much, albeit three hours at one rink, a two hour break, then two more hours at the other rink. My boots are still a bit crazy I think, I must not be doing something right for them to still be so annoying.

Steven

icenut84
10-07-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by SDFanatic
Both are coming along pretty good it seems, she was pleased with how I progressed even though I didn't see it. I hope I can remember most of the stuff she taught me, it's not easy to get a lesson with her.

Why don't you write it down when you finish the lesson/get off the ice? It'd make it much easier to remember the details. I have a small notebook that I use to write in what I did in my lessons and practices, what I learnt, things to remember, technical details, footwork sequences, dance steps, etc etc. Makes it a lot easier to rememeber stuff (and it means you can see your progress more easily).