View Full Version : thinking of testing bronze MIF next week -- some advice?

Mel On Ice
09-30-2003, 10:58 AM
I'm trying not to balk at the idea of testing next week. I have all the patterns down, although I'm a little shaky on the power 3s.

Also, I was grandfathered in on pre-bronze MIF, so I've never tested them before.

Is there a certain order I have to do them or does the judge tell me what to do?

I only have to go once around the ice right? I've seen so many ice dance tests lately with two passes, I'm a little confused.

I really can't pass up this opportunity to test -- it's on a Saturday night, so I don't have to miss work, and have plenty of time to prepare that day.

Help, please!

dbny
09-30-2003, 11:28 AM
You have to do them in order, but without my rulebook handy, I'm not sure what it is. Only one pass is required. Good luck!

Mel On Ice
09-30-2003, 12:16 PM
Hoping it is in the order presented at the USFSA site:

Forward Perimeter Power Stroking
Backward Power Perimeter Stroking
Forward Power 3 turns
Alternating Backward xovers to back out edges
5-step Mohawk Sequence

Nothing like putting the weak one right in the middle... maybe the judges will be awed by my execution of the last two, they will forget a few slips on the middle.

mikawendy
09-30-2003, 01:36 PM
I _think_ (don't quote me on this) the rulebook says that you are always allowed to ask the judge the next element if you forget the order. But I think there is a deduction for accidentally skating one (or more than one? I can't recall) element in the wrong order.

skaternum
09-30-2003, 02:33 PM
You should definitely talk to your coach about this. It sounds like you're trying to fly solo, which is never a good idea! Although the rulebook prescribes a lot about how tests are conducted (content, judging, etc.), every club has its own testing norms like whether they single panel, how the warmup is run, etc.. Your coach needs to talk to you about what to expect.

icedancer2
09-30-2003, 03:37 PM
I've been thinking about taking Bronze Moves lately, too -- it is odd that the power 3's (also my weakest element) are in the middle -- like you, I was hping that the judges would be so overwhelmed by the strength of the last two moves that they would forget about how bad the 3'd were.

OTOH, maybe they put them there knowing that most people hate them and it's just a way of getting them over with so you can finish the rest of the test. I know I would probably spend the whole test dreading the power 3s if they were last on the list.

They all do go once around. The end patterns vary between the different patterns so make sure you have that down before you go out there. I practiced my pre-Bronze moves by doing drills over and over (like doing double run-throughs of a dance or freestyle program) and then we set up a "mock-test" with some of us watching each other go through our Moves and pretend it was a test -- we even dressed up for it. I think that really helped give you the feeling of what it is like to test Moves, especially if you have never done them on a test before.

Good luck!

Mel On Ice
09-30-2003, 05:10 PM
I am going to try to attend some of the dead early-morning freestyles so I can get some open ice practice. I wish I weren't going to Michigan this weekend for wedding stuff! I don't want to miss an opportunity to skate, but I have been doing these patterns most of the year. I don't want to say I can't miss, but there's no reason to put this off.

My coach has been really busy starting the new school year, but I plan on grabbing her ear for a few minutes this week.

Terri C
09-30-2003, 06:15 PM
I chose not to grandfather the MIF and passed the Pre Bronze last month!
Since then, I've started on the Bronze MIF and not grandfathering helped, especially on the power 3's. All it boils down to a a alternating outside three and then a crossover!

I still have a issue on not having a complete undercut on my back crossovers and this is killing me on the other moves!

Mel, I'd definitely have your coach take a look at the moves before taking them!

MissIndigo
09-30-2003, 07:14 PM
You really need to consult with a coach who is very familiar with the MITF testing before you do this. I more or less "flew solo" the first time I took the test, and that was not smart. I have since tried the test a second time and I'm still trying to pass them. Feel free to PM me if you want the gory details.

I can tell you, from my experience, that the judges are looking for power, power, and more power. Surprisingly, my moves coach also told me that judges would rather see a messy, powerful pattern than a precise one. I don't know what to think about that, though I fully believe it.

jazzpants
09-30-2003, 07:50 PM
Did you do a runthrough on your Bronze Moves with your coach, Mel??? This is just me, but I won't not test unless I could do a few runthroughs of the entire test w/o trouble with my coach watching. (He won't sign test papers unless he sees that I could do them and my club doesn't allow anyone to test unless my test papers are signed by a coach.) :P

I swear the forward power 3's is the move from Hades!!! I HATE THEM!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

icedancer2
09-30-2003, 08:49 PM
Having tested the first Moves test (which I thought would be a complete cinch for me) -- it is harder than it looks. It is harder than dance OR freestyle because it is so quiet - there is no music to help you. It's just you out there. Period. Someone told me that there is no rule saying you can't test with music, it just isn't usually done.

Testing figures was even easier -- there it is quiet, but in the old days, we were all used to doing figures in the quiet. But most of us do Moves with music playing in the background, either on a freestyle or dance-practice session -- or just a general or public where music is playing.

I think I'm going to start practicing Moves without music. That will be a good test, I think!

sk8er1964
09-30-2003, 09:32 PM
Mel -

The moves tests are mentally difficult. On both of my tests I practice-ran the tests for about two weeks prior to testing, so my muscle memory was there. I assume from your post that you have not done that, especially since you didn't know the order. I would advise that you memorize the order before taking the test - that is one of the basics that the judges will expect you to know.

That said, and I really didn't mean to scare you - just prepare you for the Silver - the judges usually want you to pass. In my club, you talk to the judges before the test. It helps to talk with them - for you because it puts you at ease and for them because it puts you into a human perspective. I really don't know if a judge would fail you for not knowing the order on a Bronze test (a Silver, yes - but a Bronze?) - any judge out there to comment??? I would doubt that they would.

A final thought. If you test - what is the worst that can happen? You get invited to try again. What is the best that can happen? You pass, and start working on the Bronze Freestyle. I personally don't see a downside - if you need to retest, you will be a much stronger skater the next time around.

Anyway, my advice is to GO FOR IT!!!

Best of luck!!!! Skate Great!!!!!

PS - on my recent Intermediate test, I failed the power pushes-power threes move by two of the judges. However, several of my other moves were good enough to make up the difference. Don't worry about the power threes if you have other strong moves. It is the total score that matters.

Mel On Ice
10-01-2003, 10:17 AM
Hm. Maybe I will wait until next month.

dbny
10-01-2003, 01:28 PM
BTW, there is only one judge needed for the Bronze moves test. Why not give yourself a few pre-tests just to see how you do, before deciding to put it off? For a pre-test (my coach's term, I think) start as soon as you get on the ice, give yourself a 4 minute warm-up, then run through the moves exactly as if your were testing. Stop after each move to wait for the judge to be ready for you, start and end each move just like you would if testing. You can even try to imagine a judge there and get a little case of nerves going. I did, and it did help me on my test. The idea is to simulate the test environment so you are totally prepared at test time.

icedancer2
10-01-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by dbny
BTW, there is only one judge needed for the Bronze moves test.
Why not give yourself a few pre-tests just to see how you do, before deciding to put it off? For a pre-test (my coach's term, I think) start as soon as you get on the ice, give yourself a 4 minute warm-up, then run through the moves exactly as if your were testing. Stop after each move to wait for the judge to be ready for you, start and end each move just like you would if testing. You can even try to imagine a judge there and get a little case of nerves going. I did, and it did help me on my test. The idea is to simulate the test environment so you are totally prepared at test time.

I believe that judge must be a Silver or Gold judge to single panel the Bronze Moves test.

I have practiced in exactly this way -- giving myself a short warmup and then pretending there is a judge there. It helps to practice exactly how you will into the move, intro steps, coming out of it, etc. It will help you when you are actually taking the test.

Good luck and have fun!

Kelli
10-01-2003, 02:30 PM
It's good if you know the order, particularly so you can practice the moves in that order, but there's no penalty for asking. Trust me, I've asked on every test through Juvenile. It gives you an extra second to relax, and then you don't have to worry that you might forget the order or do the wrong move. If your coach things you're ready, go for it.

Good luck!

jenlyon60
10-01-2003, 02:36 PM
Our MIF/FS test chairman always announces each move during the test. Which makes it easy to remember...

jazzpants
10-01-2003, 07:15 PM
I practice the runthrough for my moves test in the exact order as the USFSA trial judging form, so it's hard for me to forget. :P :lol: