View Full Version : My Teaching Career--An Update

Black Sheep
09-25-2003, 06:08 PM
Today I talked with the new director of the skating school at my local seasonal rink. She said that the only open positions she had left were the Tuesday and Thursday morning Tot classes.

I was very disappointed. I had elected to teach the Pre-Alpha through Delta classes because Tots (ie, 3-5 year olds) just aren't my strongest point.

However, the new director reassured me that in no way was this the end of my road. She said she would put me on the substitute/teacher's aide list, and that I could volunteer to help teach the classes Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, the ones following my freestyle sessions.

It's nice to know what is finally going on over there; and the new director is a very nice lady who knows and likes me a lot! 8-)

dbny
09-25-2003, 07:41 PM
Good for you! Your chances of being hired just went up. If you can possibly bring yourself to do the Parent-Tot, though, I do recommend it as an entree job. It would be an opportunity to show your dedication, creativity, and dependability. Toddlers are not my strong point either, but I have found, much to my surprise, that the little ones seem to like me, and that is very encouraging. I learned a lot from the other coaches when I volunteered last season, or I wouldn't have had to confidence to take it on as a real job this season.