View Full Version : Trying to talk skates!

Keely
09-23-2003, 10:20 PM
Couldn't find the "Retarded Questions" forum so I'll post here. About pronouncing names....

Is GAM supposed to rhyme with jam, or do you say the letters, like FBI?

Is Risport like "rye-sport" "ree-sport" or something else?

I think I can manage Jackson on my own :D
Thanks for assistance!

aloha
09-23-2003, 10:37 PM
GAM is pronounced GAMM like as in jam...
RISPORT is pronounced... as in rye-sport... you're doing good !!! :D
best of luck with Jackson:P

Keely
09-23-2003, 10:46 PM
Thanks... it's stressful enough showing my ugly feet to strange salespeople without them frowning and saying, "You want to try on WHAT?"
:D

dbny
09-23-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by aloha
GAM is pronounced GAMM like as in jam...
RISPORT is pronounced... as in rye-sport... you're doing good !!! :D
best of luck with Jackson:P

The only skater I know with Risports bought them in Italy and pronounces it "Ree-sport". I believe he also speaks Italian, so that may have something to do with it.

While we are on the subject, "Klingbeil" is pronounced "Cling-bile".

blurrysarah
09-23-2003, 11:09 PM
Erm, well Risports make up the majority of skates used here in Australia (you want anything else - you'll have to pay big, big bucks or go overseas), and I've only ever heard them pronounced "Riz-port". 'Course that could be the aussie accent.

pinkjellybean
09-23-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by blurrysarah
Erm, well Risports make up the majority of skates used here in Australia (you want anything else - you'll have to pay big, big bucks or go overseas), and I've only ever heard them pronounced "Riz-port". 'Course that could be the aussie accent.

lol, i was just about to post that I've logged many hours in risports and have only ever called/heard them called "ris-ports" exactly how it looks (or riz-ports, same thing!).

Keely
09-24-2003, 12:53 PM
Okay... well no matter how I end up saying it I guess someone else says it that way ;)

backspin
09-24-2003, 04:34 PM
yup, 'round here we say ree-sport!

Keely
09-25-2003, 09:34 PM
Well, the rees-port ris-port riz-port crunched my little toe and I ended up getting Jacksons. Thanks everyone.

ChristianeDK
09-26-2003, 05:31 PM
Good luck with your new boots! :) In Denmark Risport is called ree-sport with a hard 'r' and a short 'ee'.

luna_skater
09-26-2003, 06:10 PM
Most people I know in Canada pronounce it RYE-sport.