View Full Version : OMG!!! Testing!!!

DancinDiva
09-22-2003, 08:59 PM
I talked to my instructor tonight and he wants me to test the Dutch Waltz in January. I'm so nervous! I just started skating this past January and only started working on the Dutch Waltz on Thursday! I really have no idea what to expect as I have never tested before. What is it like?

sk8er1964
09-22-2003, 09:29 PM
Some people get really nervous testing. I do feel butterflies, but when I do I try to remember a few important things.

1. The judges really do want you to pass. They are not mean old orges waiting for you to trip up. (Well, most of them aren't - there's always a few. However, you can't control the judges - you can only control yourself and your own skating.)

2. When you test, one of two things are going to happen. You will pass, or you will fail. If you pass, that's wonderful. If you fail, the world will not end. You can always try again.

3. If your coach thinks you are ready, then you are ready.

4. Don't focus on the result of the test. Focus instead on yourself - you've practiced enough that your body knows what it is supposed to do. Let your body take over.

Good luck on your test preparation and your test in January - I'm sure you'll do fine!

AshBugg44
09-22-2003, 10:05 PM
As soon as I can re-locate the card that my best friend gave to me the night before I took my first test, I'll tell you what she wrote. It's perfect advice. However, I packed it when we had to evacuate for the fire and I don't know where it is now! *cries* ;)

dbny
09-22-2003, 10:56 PM
I agree with the above, and can add that it's dance, let the music carry you.

skaternum
09-23-2003, 05:13 AM
Two thoughts:
1. January is a long way away. You have more time than you think.
2. The preliminary dances are "encouragement" dances. You have to really, really mess up to fail. :)

dani
09-23-2003, 09:28 AM
I know it is a silly point, but the USFSA doesn't label any of these pass/fail. It is pass/retry!

I know that is just a word, but it does show that even if you don't pass, they don't view that as the last word.

Have a lot of fun with the Dutch! It is a good beginner dance!

Hugs!
Danielle

ps) Good luck with it!

sk8er1964
09-23-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by dani
I know it is a silly point, but the USFSA doesn't label any of these pass/fail. It is pass/retry!

I know that is just a word, but it does show that even if you don't pass, they don't view that as the last word.

Have a lot of fun with the Dutch! It is a good beginner dance!

Hugs!
Danielle

ps) Good luck with it!

Actually, that is a very valid point. How you view things is important, and the word used does make a difference.

skaternum
09-23-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by dani

Uh huh. A retry sure does feel an awful lot like a fail around here. :)

backspin
09-23-2003, 03:32 PM
"retry" = "the judges liked it so much they want to see it again!"

:lol: :lol:

PattyP
09-23-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by backspin
"retry" = "the judges liked it so much they want to see it again!"

:lol: :lol:

LOL! My last test all three judges like my program so much they wanted to see it again :roll:

jenlyon60
09-23-2003, 05:54 PM
My personal feeling is that "retry" is today's politically correct speak for "fail"

Personally, I liked the term fail. Same result.... you had to get out there and do it again after at least a 27 day wait, or hang it up...

dbny
09-23-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by jenlyon60
My personal feeling is that "retry" is today's politically correct speak for "fail"

Personally, I liked the term fail. Same result.... you had to get out there and do it again after at least a 27 day wait, or hang it up...

I agree, and I think it is a useful term for kids, but we adults know what's really going on :lol: Come to think of it, the kids are pretty savvy too!