View Full Version : Bronze Vs. Silver?

Stormy
09-22-2003, 07:34 PM
I am trying to decide whether to compete Bronze or Silver this year, with the goal competing at Adult Nationals now that I'm 25. How does the skating differ at the two levels? What do the top 6 in each level at AN usually have?

Right now I really could go either way. I just want to compete at AN and have fun with that being the goal. I'm just curious as to what to expect.
:)

flo
09-23-2003, 09:58 AM
If you are comfortable competing at silver, then give it a try. There are many competitions where you can skate up and try it out before you commit yourself with a test. I've medaled in bronze and silver at nationals, and the elements at the two levels are much the same. The difference is in the strength of the program and the performance.

LWalsh
09-23-2003, 10:07 AM
Stormy,

You say you can go either way? Do you mean that you've already passed Bronze and are considering testing up to Silver before Adult Nationals? I ask this because Nationals and Sectionals do not have a "skate up" rule so you have to compete at your test level.

Assuming you are planning to compete at whatever level you test at, the following is what you will see at Nationals.

Bronze: The top ladies (remember this is the top and not neccesarily the majority) will have all their singles and singles in combination up through a Lutz-Loop-Loop. All the spins and in combinations, frequently a Camel-sit and maybe a flying camel. Spiral sequences and footwork will vary.

Silver: everything from Bronze + an Axel and with more speed and flow. (again this is the top, the majority will either not have an Axel or not land it in their program)

The biggest differences between the two levels will be the speed and flow of the program. You do not HAVE to have an Axel to win a competition at the Silver level but if all things are the same and your competitor does an Axel, obviously she will win. On the other hand if your competitor tries an Axel, two-foots it and you have a great program that includes the same content you have a real shot at placing over her.

Generally the ladies at the very top will have everything that is allowed at their level. i.e. Silver does not allow double jumps so they only do up to an Axel. But this will not always be the majority of the level.

You should compete at the highest level that you are reasonably comfortable with. You don't want to be considered a "sandbagger" which is someone who competes at a level too easy for them in order to collect medals when they clearly have the ability to compete at a higher level. So in this case if you can do an Axel you really ought to be in Silver. If you can't do an Axel but your overall skating has some flow/power/speed you should proabably be in Silver as well but it's debatable.

Let us know what you decide!

vesperholly
09-23-2003, 04:00 PM
I have a somewhat related question - are flying spins allowed in Bronze?

Jocelyn

LoopLoop
09-24-2003, 07:53 AM
In general, yes, flying spins are allowed. I've seen the occasional local competition announcement that prohibits them though.