View Full Version : Skaters' Chat Night

CanAmSk8ter
09-19-2003, 11:24 PM
I was talking with icedancer2, and we were wondering if anyone would be interested in a skaters' night in the chat room? We thought I would start things this Tuesday around 7:30 EST, and icedancer2, who's on West Coast Time, will pick up around 7:00 her time.

So what does everyone think? It's just a chance for everyone to talk in real time with other skaters- kind of a support group for those of us brave (or crazy) enough to participate in our crazy sport. Let me know if you have questions about anything. If we have a big turnout, we'd both like to eventually do a weekend chat in the afternoon so some of our European skaters could join in.

Mrs Redboots
09-20-2003, 05:30 AM
What chat room? The one on this forum went down ages ago, and there's no "Chat" button to press any more :(

Lutzgirl
09-20-2003, 08:57 AM
I think that si a GREAT idea !!!
Id love to have a skaters chat night!

Maybe not on this site though i have found a chat that i will tell canamsk8er about that it is always empty soo i think it will be a good place for are chat!

well bye for now!!

flippet
09-20-2003, 10:23 AM
Annabel, I still see a 'chat' button--and it appears that it works--it looks like people have been there recently, anyway. What kind of problems are you having with it?

Lutzgirl, private 'rooms' can be created for chats if you want to set up an 'event' or only invite certain people. Kind of a neat feature. :)

96.23??
09-20-2003, 11:59 AM
Where is this chat button?

flippet
09-20-2003, 02:16 PM
If you look up to the header, right next to the skater's feet there are a string of buttons--the first is 'user cp', the second is 'chat', and so on. :)

Black Sheep
09-20-2003, 06:05 PM
Unfortunately, Tuesday nights don't work for me right now.

icedancer2
09-20-2003, 06:29 PM
Well, that night certainly isn't written in stone -- I just kind of picked it out of the air when CanAmSk8ter were chatting about wanting to do a skaters chat --

We thought we'd try on Tuesdays and then just see what happens -- it seems the bk bladers group chats on thursday night and so I just picked another night based on when I'd be available...

I hope we can pick up some good chats -- might be fun!!

Mrs Redboots
09-21-2003, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by flippet
If you look up to the header, right next to the skater's feet there are a string of buttons--the first is 'user cp', the second is 'chat', and so on. :) Er, not on mine - the first is, indeed "User CP", but the second is "Register", third "Calender, then "Members", "FAQ", "Search" and "Home".....

flippet
09-21-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
Er, not on mine - the first is, indeed "User CP", but the second is "Register", third "Calender, then "Members", "FAQ", "Search" and "Home".....

Hm. :??

Are you perhaps using an old cached link? Try connecting directly and see if it changes anything. Alternatively, the URL to the chat page is http://skatingforums.com/cgi-bin/chatpro/index.cgi --try that and see if it takes you there.

If it doesn't work, perhaps the chat software won't work with your computer? But it still doesn't explain why you don't see a button. :??

(Computer/page interaction is weird--for instance, at home, my scroll bar is gray like the browser window--always has been. But at work, it's purple, like most everybody else can see. Don't know why.)

CanAmSk8ter
09-21-2003, 02:28 PM
How do the private rooms work? Is there a password or something? It might be nice to use that during the Grand Prix and whatnot when the chat room might be full of fans rather than skaters. The chat room can get confusing when there's lots of people. I'd hate to have one of us drop by and not be able to get in, though.

flippet
09-21-2003, 09:01 PM
I only gave the page a quick perusal, but it seems that if you type the name of a room into the 'private rooms' text box and hit 'go there', you'll, well, go there. :) It can be any name you want--all you have to do is type a name in, and the room will be created with the first person who types it in. All other people coming later need to know the name to type in--when they do, they'll end up in the same room.

icedancer2
09-21-2003, 09:20 PM
Cool.

So if we have a chat called "Skate America chat" during and after the event, and everyone knows that to get into that chat they have to write in the phrase "Skate America chat" then it will just happen?

Great.

Mrs Redboots
09-22-2003, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by flippet
Hm. :??

Are you perhaps using an old cached link? Try connecting directly and see if it changes anything. Alternatively, the URL to the chat page is http://skatingforums.com/cgi-bin/chatpro/index.cgi --try that and see if it takes you there.

It does, thanks. But no, I don't see a button. Maybe the link is cached.....

(Computer/page interaction is weird--for instance, at home, my scroll bar is gray like the browser window--always has been. But at work, it's purple, like most everybody else can see. Don't know why.) I have a purple scroll bar! If you go to your User CP page on your home computer, can you change it?

flippet
09-22-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by icedancer2

So if we have a chat called "Skate America chat" during and after the event, and everyone knows that to get into that chat they have to write in the phrase "Skate America chat" then it will just happen?

Yep. :D

icedancer2
09-23-2003, 06:08 PM
Hey skaters -- our first "skaters chat night" starts in 20 minutes!!

Be there or be square...