View Full Version : The things little kids say....

sk8er1964
09-14-2003, 09:25 PM
So I was in my stroking session yesterday. We range in age from 38 (me) to, oh, I'd guess 8. We were doing fast clockwise backwards crossovers when I had the click of death and went down. I slid about 20 feet backwards on my back end.

After the fall, this cute little girl around 8 years old comes up to me with a look of concern on her face and asks "Did that hurt?" To which I replied "No" (even though a bruise was forming as I spoke - have to be brave you know).

Well, as soon as she found out that I wasn't hurt, she got this big smile on her face and said "That looked like fun!!!"

You know, after I thought about it -- that slide was kind of fun. Got to love the little kids - they sure put things into perspective! :lol: :lol:

SDFanatic
09-14-2003, 09:42 PM
Yes, kids are a hoot, it's nice to be so carefree and what not, and I enjoy it thuroughly when I take a break and play tag, sharks and minnows, and other such distracting games.

As for sayings, I can't recall any good ones off the top of my head, one was "Are you famous?" and a couple others ones which I shan't say just to be polite.

Steven

tazsk8s
09-14-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by sk8er1964
Got to love the little kids - they sure put things into perspective! :lol: :lol:

Tee hee! Very cute!

I'm 36, and am frequently the only adult skater on our freestyles. I was practicing for AN last spring, and one of the coaches stopped me, laughing herself silly. She said the 7 year old she was teaching had pointed to me and said "Is she a teenager?" The coach told her, "No, she's a mommy. She's her mommy" and pointed out Taz Jr. skating nearby. The 7 year old thought about it for a minute and said "You mean a mommy like that makes you dinner?" Actually, I found the dinner thing to be the funniest part...I don't cook! Can't even boil water! That is was Papa Taz is for... :) :) :)

dbny
09-14-2003, 09:51 PM
Well, I can't quote one of the kids, but my husband is the ice monitor for the practice area at our local skating school, and he frequently has to assure the new kids that there is no water under the ice, and they can't fall through.

dani
09-15-2003, 09:35 AM
I have a little 10 year old friend I have posted about a few times. Anyway, we were taking a stroking class and doing the power pulls. She explained that I had better "rip" because I weigh more! ;-) She really didn't mean anything bad, but was just explaining it as she saw it.

The painful part is that I weigh more than she and her mom put together!

Hugs!
Danielle

ps) For those of you at the Peach, I think I am getting my friend the blade lights for her 11th birthday next month! Every one loves mine ;-)

LWalsh
09-15-2003, 10:52 AM
What are blade lights????

Mrs Redboots
09-15-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by LWalsh
What are blade lights???? Oh, they're heaven! LED-type thingies that you attach to your blades (I'm not sure how - mine are on their way from Singapore) and they flash as you skate. The greatest fun imaginable - I can't wait for mine to arrive and to see the looks on everybody's faces.....

dani
09-15-2003, 12:50 PM
Mrs. Redboots has it right! They are real cool. Becca Guthrie sells them over here. You should try them! If you like, I will PM you her email. She says they are $25 including shipping. She will probably have them if you go to DC again this year!

As for how they attach, they are in two pieces plus a screw. The two pieces connect with the blade in between and then you screw the screw in and they stay in place. Leave the screw just a little loose so they move more.

I had reports of two different kids going into spins and stopping dead when they noticed my lights! ;-)

Hugs!
Danielle

ps) LWalsh, I was one of the tall ones in the Silver MIF at DC!

NickiT
09-15-2003, 03:04 PM
Something that has always cracked me up is something my little boy said. He's 6 now but has been skating since he was 2, and he loves watching me spin then checking the ice to see whether it is centered or not!!!

Anyway one day I asked him to watch my sit spin. I performed this spin then asked him what he thought, to which he answered that I hadn't done a sit spin - I'd done a spinning teapot. Well I can certainly see where he gets it from and it certainly made me smile!

Nicki

Sk8Bunny
09-15-2003, 05:38 PM
Last year I was helping teach a learn-to-skate class, which happened to be right after a practice of mine, so i was wearing a dress and tights. On this particular day, I was wearing Over The Boot tights. This little girl stares at my feet very intentsly for a few moments and then looks at me while such innocent eyes and asks 'Where did your skates go?- are they hiding?' LOL! I cracked up then undid the bottom hook of a tight and showed her that yes, the skates were still there, and hadnt gone anywhere. lol.

flippet
09-15-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
Oh, they're heaven! LED-type thingies that you attach to your blades (I'm not sure how - mine are on their way from Singapore) and they flash as you skate. The greatest fun imaginable - I can't wait for mine to arrive and to see the looks on everybody's faces.....

Annabel, you're getting blade lights? You're so cool! 8-) I wanna be like you when I grow up! :lol: :D ;)

Chico
09-15-2003, 09:01 PM
I've come to love skating with the kids. Yep, they say the cutest little things. =-) But more importantly they push me as a skater. They also help me travel back in time and be a little person again even for just a little while.

Chico

sillyskates
09-15-2003, 09:49 PM
When I used to skate, my friends referred to my layback spin as my "lay flat spin", because that's where I usually ended up ... flat on the ice. I thought it was funny ... until I learned it wasn't my friend, but her little boy, that had made the initial observation!! :oops: :roll:

wannask8
09-15-2003, 09:53 PM
I generally loathe skating on a public session crowded with kids, but I gotta love the local parochial school kids, whose annual field trip session I've shared a couple of times. My favorites: "Are you going to be in the Olympics?" (while merely practicing FO edges) and "Are you a movie star? We saw a movie with you in it last night!".

-- wannask8

sk8er1964
09-15-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Sk8Bunny
Last year I was helping teach a learn-to-skate class, which happened to be right after a practice of mine, so i was wearing a dress and tights. On this particular day, I was wearing Over The Boot tights. This little girl stares at my feet very intentsly for a few moments and then looks at me while such innocent eyes and asks 'Where did your skates go?- are they hiding?' LOL! I cracked up then undid the bottom hook of a tight and showed her that yes, the skates were still there, and hadnt gone anywhere. lol.

Too funny, Sk8Bunny :lol: :lol: !

PattyP
09-16-2003, 02:55 PM
A few years back my coach's daughter used to enjoy helping me get ready for competition, she must have been 8 or 9 years old at the time. She asked me if I was nervous and when I replied that I was, she responded with, "you can't be nervous 'cause if you are, you're gonna suck" I laughed so hard that I wasn't nervous any more. She then asked me not to tell her mom that she said the "suck" word.

This little girl is now the 2003 Juvinile Pairs National Champion along with her brother, so I guess she knew what she was talking about! ;)

PattyP

AshBugg44
09-16-2003, 05:33 PM
Little kids on public sessions always ask us things like "wow you're so good how did you get that good?" and when they ask me to do something I'll be like...um Daniela does it better and make my friend Daniela do it if I can't do it (like an axel! lol) Or since we skate in the mall, you've got to love it when teenage shoppers are like "DO A FLIP!" and so I do one, and then they tell me to do it (again) and I say "I just did a flip" lol that's fun

LoopLoop
09-17-2003, 01:07 PM
I'm the only adult in our stroking class. On Monday night one of the kids, probably around 9, asked what grade I was in. I told her that I was a grownup and not in school anymore, and she responded with "Oh, you're in COLLEGE?" I had to break the news that I'm a REAL grownup with a job and everything.

icenut84
09-17-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Sk8Bunny

Awwwww! :lol:

Mrs Redboots
09-17-2003, 01:47 PM
Last season I skated to Jake the Peg, so took to the ice with a "third leg" made of a drainpipe, an old shoe of my husband's and an old blade. At least one small girl was horribly frightened and thought I really did have three legs, and every child at the rink wanted to know how it was done, and had to be shown, and had to have a go with it.....

So fast forward a few months to our Open Festival, where I do the piece as an Adult Artistic. A group of kids from our sister-rink has come over to take part in the Festival - and, of course, as soon as I am off the ice they are surrounding me, wanting to know how it is done, having to be shown, wanting a go....

Lutzgirl
09-17-2003, 06:52 PM
i skate and a program called junior star! Im only 12! And there is quite a few little kids and some older ones.
Well today at around 5.50est i fel;l on a lutz when this little girl comes up to me and says excuse me but is that a triple because i heard about triples and she was rambling on! at the end io said i have to go but that was only a lutz she looked at me and said it was good anyway and sk8ted of!

so adorable

skatepixie
09-17-2003, 07:41 PM
Where can i buy um online?

Lanie
09-17-2003, 08:12 PM
A few weekends ago, when I was working on sits and scratches and jumps up to lutz, I had a great day... and some little girl (like four) said, when I was leaving, that I was great and she asked me if I was going to the Olympics. I thought it was the cutest thing.

skatepixie
09-18-2003, 12:08 AM
ppl ask me all the time. At yr rink though I think it might make more sense to ask than at mine with one ice serfice....lol.

Mrs Redboots
09-18-2003, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by skatepixie
Where can i buy um online? If you mean blade lights, I don't think you can. PM me and I'll send you the email address of the person whom dani says is importing them into the USA (if you aren't in the USA, tell me, and I'll let you know my source!).

Hope you don't get this twice; I don't think it went the first time!