View Full Version : Has Your Coach and/or Choreographer made you change your music?

singerskates
09-13-2003, 09:26 PM
I can't believe my Samba Pa Ti music isn't fast enough. My coach and
choreographer want me to skate to even faster music. So now, as of
this minute, I don't have a freesakte piece. I have ideas but that's
all. I'm suppose to come up with 4 ideas and my choreographer is
going to come up with 4 and then between my pics and his we're going
to choose.

I did use Samba Pa Ti last year and it only won a silver and not the
gold. So I guess I should move on from it.

I'm thinking of Classical Gas played by Robert Michaels as one of the
four choices. Joaquin Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez and Jose
Feliciano's Pegao are two other choices I'm thinking of bringing to
the rink on Tuesday. Maybe a track from the Prince of Egypt too. Just
wish my computer was working properly so I could make copies to bring
to the rink and not have to bring my originals.

Anyone else have their coach and choreographer make you change your
music because they think you can do more than the music you choose
will allow you to do on ice?

Brigitte

jazzpants
09-14-2003, 02:18 AM
Well, close... my coach rejected choices for my music b/c it was TOO FAST!!! Turns out it's not the speed, but he wanted a piece that is more "floaty" if that makes sense.

The litmus test is my coach would put the song out on the speaker during the session I'm skating at (or after that) and he tries it out. If it makes him look good skating to it, it'll look at least semi-decent if I skate to it.

My very, VERY first program not only pass the coach's "litmus" test but everyone else who is skating around the rink finding themselves skating to it and enjoying it! Also a good sign when afterwards someone asks "What's that music? If it's not anyone's competition music, I want it!!!") :lol:

Mrs Redboots
09-14-2003, 05:18 AM
My coach makes me play whatever it is over the rink's speakers. If it sounds good - okay. If not, not. One takes the original CD down first!

Then we talk it over - could I use this music; how would we play it and, above all, would foreign judges know what I was trying to do? (One idea for this year rejected on that count alone!).

At the moment, the music has been chosen, and I gave it to my coach to cut for me, which he says he will have done by Wednesday. I hope so....

Black Sheep
09-14-2003, 02:00 PM
....my coach constantly changes my long-program choreography. Seems he's always trying to jam more elements into it. How can I fit more into a 2:36 program?? :roll:

Mrs Redboots
09-14-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Black Sheep
....my coach constantly changes my long-program choreography. Seems he's always trying to jam more elements into it. How can I fit more into a 2:36 program?? :roll: You'd be surprised! It's amazing how quite suddenly music that was far too short for your programme becomes far too long, and you have to put something else in....

Michigansk8er
09-14-2003, 02:33 PM
My coach and I choose music together. It has to be something we both can work with, and something he knows will showcase my strong points. My music changes each season so that I don't get into a rut, and can stretch myself in new directions. This season he found a piece of music he thought was me. I agreed, so that is what we are using. I can't wait until I can actually skate to it.

Lutzgirl
09-19-2003, 02:39 PM
:twisted: Yes she has and i was quite annoyed!

But after i talked to her and told her my feelings she was ok and we picked music that worked for us both !

Have you tried talkin to your coach? About it?

Lanie
09-19-2003, 02:52 PM
My coach wanted to change my music for my program--she said it was too difficult for my level. But it grew on her and we're working on the choreography now! :)

TashaKat
09-20-2003, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by Black Sheep
....my coach constantly changes my long-program choreography. Seems he's always trying to jam more elements into it. How can I fit more into a 2:36 program?? :roll:

Yes, mine used to do that too! Right up to the last week before the test/comp!! I had so many versions or my programs that I could never rely on video footage to 'recreate' my program at a later date!!

I've never changed music but lots was rejected (by madam) before we started work on the program! Mind you, change of music AND change of program ..... yes!