View Full Version : Allegra Ford

flippet
09-12-2003, 08:22 PM
Has anyone here skated with her?

I just read her mom's book (because of an excerpt in one of the womens' magazines--saw that Allegra skates and was interested), and she sounds like a wonderful girl. I can totally relate to her 'addiction' to skating--having 'Adult Onset Skating Syndrome' myself! :)

I was somewhat curious as to why she's not competing anymore, unless that it's just rather stressful to keep putting programs together year after year? I have to hand it to her though--I can't quite skate at the Bronze level after much trying--and I don't even have a learning disability to work through! I sometimes have problems coordinating my movements anyway--I can't imagine how much harder it must be when you have difficulty telling left from right. She's really an inspiration. :)

Black Sheep
09-13-2003, 11:03 AM
Sounds like it would also make a good movie. Of course, I'd also love to read the book!

Anybody know what FS level Allegra is? Is she married? 8-)

Mrs Redboots
09-13-2003, 11:05 AM
I don't know the skater you mention, but in this country we have two adult skaters who have special needs - one is profoundly deaf, and the other has severe Down's syndrome - who both skate simply beautifully, much, much better than I do! The man with Down's Syndrome has recently become prominent in a campaign for skaters with special needs - but I've skated against him in artistic classes several times and only once finished ahead of him!

dorvalskater1
09-13-2003, 05:37 PM
I skated against Allegra for a few years and with her one summer in Lake Placid. She didn't really place high, but was ok for Bronze level. She was real sweet and friendly. I too wondered why she stopped...I thought it was because she moved or went away to school. I have not seen her for about 2 years.

rinsk
09-14-2003, 08:50 PM
I also met her a few times in competitions. Seemed like a very nice person: easy to talk to, very cheerful, great to watch skate because you really picked up this sense that she was just happy to be doing it. Haven't seen her for maybe 2 years but wasn't sure if we just weren't hitting the same competitions (I only do one or 2 of the north-east New York/Vermont competitions a year because of school and money).