View Full Version : Help On Dress

chiclet
09-12-2003, 06:20 PM
i have never skated in a competition and my coach wants me to start but my music is caberet and I don't know what type of dress to get i don't really like those one with the litle bowtie but thats like the only option soo far please help!!!:D

flippet
09-12-2003, 07:43 PM
How old are you? That will help determine how 'racy' the dress should or shouldn't be. Your choreography should also inform your choice--i.e., if you're playing the character, or 'just' skating to the music.

I'm thinking maybe a sleeveless dress with a high neck and elbow gloves--but that may be a bit too much.

chiclet
09-12-2003, 09:00 PM
yes im 16 and dont know much about caberet soo i'll say just skating to it

Mrs Redboots
09-13-2003, 11:07 AM
Is it an artistic/interpretive/creative programme, or straight freestyle? The former is easier to dress, but probably harder to sustain the character.

If you get a chance, try to see the film which will give you some ideas of what you're trying to recreate here.

chiclet
09-13-2003, 11:41 AM
ya which movie is it ??? is there an actual caberet movie i dont know too much about my music it the problem and i changed coaches soo he doesnt know either hmmm so im not too sure

dooobedooo
09-13-2003, 01:14 PM
Wow, a chance to wear fishnet skating tights!

See if you can find some pictures of Liza Minelli in the film version of Caberet (circa 1980). She went for a sort of female circus ringmaster look, like a Master of Ceremonies for a nightclub show. Short top hat, black jacket with tails, stripy waistcoat, very longlegged look, maybe cut high showing leotard crotch, fishnet tights, very high heels, black red and white. If you wear fishnet skating tights, they look best with another thin pair of flesh tights underneath. She also carried a ringmaster's cane, but that (along with the hat) would only be permissible in a show number, not a normal skating competition.

The film has a very ironic tone, balancing hype and energy and variety with cynicism.

I just found a site at http://www.shopping-entertainment-online.com/modern-films/cabaret.htm

You could also wear long black "boot imitations" if you think you can skate and jump in them (probably not such a good idea!!)

Mrs Redboots
09-14-2003, 05:05 AM
Yes, there is a movie. You might even be able to hire (rent) the video - go along to your local video place and ask. As Doobedoo says, Liza Minelli.....

Lutzgirl
09-19-2003, 02:29 PM
well maybe you could have something that is a little readish or maybe something that has alot of class sequins stones etc....

Really its up to you!:) :) :)