View Full Version : How did you become a skater?

FSWer
09-11-2003, 06:54 PM
Hey,as a Skating fan I was just interested to know how everyone here became a skater.

icedream
09-11-2003, 07:03 PM
i started skating two years ago when i was 13 because my friend was taking lessons. I dont really know any other reason, because i had no idea what a spiral was even! I never even watched skating :oops:
but now its all i can ever think about!!!

FSWer
09-11-2003, 07:06 PM
That is so cool Meli...interesting!!!

CanAmSk8ter
09-11-2003, 07:51 PM
I signed up and took learn-to-skate lessons, just like practically everybody else starts out.

You might want to clarify exactly what you're asking. Do you really mean [I]how[I/] did we start skating? Because pretty much everyone starts in the same way. Anyone who wants to take learn-to-skate lessons can. If you mean [I]why[I/] did we start skating, or what inspired us to start skating, I would make it more clear that that's what you're asking, because right now I really can't tell.

pinkjellybean
09-11-2003, 07:59 PM
What inspired me to "skate" skate was seeing Josee Chouinard in like 1990/1991... the white costume... she had me with a smile and I was hooked... I wanted to be just like her.

Lutzgirl
09-11-2003, 08:52 PM
i started skating just last year at the age of 11 and ive landed mah axel itz the greatest fun skating maybe you should try it fswer

TashaKat
09-12-2003, 02:20 AM
My ex-pig was a semi-pro ice hockey player, I took up ice hockey, bought the kit and the boots but never really liked it. After two whiplash injuries from being tackled by the SAME guy who turned round and said "I didn't expect to be tackled by a girl" I gave up and turned to figure skating. I did Free first and then took up Dance .... did a little bit of Pairs and Synchro (or Precision as it was called then) along the way!

I wasn't particularly inspired by anyone to take up skating but once I started I loved it .... if only I could rekindle that love now!

chiclet
09-12-2003, 06:23 PM
wen i was 7 i would always watch it on T.V and for days i would twirl around the house till one day my mom couldnt take it anymore she brought me to the rink and said go twirl out there and of course i could barely stand on the ice but i stuck wit it and im 16 right now sooo i can twirl now!! haha

flippet
09-12-2003, 07:45 PM
Dana, why don't you see if you can take some beginning lessons somewhere? I know how much you love skating--I bet you'd have even more fun if you got out on a rink and tried it! :)

FSWer
09-12-2003, 07:55 PM
What about if you have no rink near you as well as money being an issue?

flippet
09-12-2003, 08:05 PM
I can understand money being an issue--it is sometimes for me too. I just saved and saved until I had enough money for a session of lessons. Sometimes I just skated on the cheap public session and got teaching help from another skater. (That's often a good way to learn if money is an issue.) And I used to drive an hour to a rink for my lessons and practice because there wasn't one closer. I would even drive farther for a chance to skate on good, open ice with friends that I met here online.

I just know that I wanted to skate so badly that I found a way to do it! Even if you only go a few times, you've got to try it--it's so much fun! :)

FSWer
09-12-2003, 08:20 PM
Thanks Flippit. Say you know my real name...what's yours? You've been so nice me.

flippet
09-12-2003, 08:23 PM
Just for you ;) --it's Nancy. But I'll answer to 'flippet'--I kind of like it! :D

FSWer
09-12-2003, 08:31 PM
Nice to meet you Flippit. I would also love to be your e-mail friend.

sk8star
09-14-2003, 08:02 AM
I started skating after one of my friends invited me to her show! Although she stopped skating years ago, my passion for the sport is still going!!!

~Sk8Star~

FSWer
09-14-2003, 11:28 AM
HEY!!!!!! That sounds sooooo COOL!!!! You truely are a sk8star buddy!!!!!

CanAmSk8ter
09-14-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by FSWer
What about if you have no rink near you as well as money being an issue?

I can't answer for the money issue, but Dana, I know where you live and there are at least three rinks within half an hour of your town.

FSWer
09-14-2003, 09:49 PM
How do you know were I live?!

CanAmSk8ter
09-15-2003, 08:43 PM
Because you frequently refer to the local newspaper and TV stations that only someone who lived in our area would know about. No one outside of this immediate area would read our paper or watch the network affiliates you mention. I think maybe your town was in your profile at some point too, or maybe you posted it.

adrianchew
09-16-2003, 09:55 PM
Hi - I removed a couple of posts that weren't necessary - can we please refrain from this in the future? If you have any questions about another poster, contact a moderator first. Thanks.

Lutzgirl
09-17-2003, 08:32 AM
administrator i was expressing an opinon i think she is quite the weird sort and i needed to tell people about im sorry if i offended this site in anyway

Chico
09-17-2003, 07:58 PM
What inspired me? I guess it's the way skating made me feel inside. I know this sounds funny, but I just feel like this is something I need to do. From time to time I have thought about stopping, and my soul just falls apart. I need my fix to be challenged, to "fly", to feel beautiful, to be scared, to just be me, and just be alone with my thoughts as a person. I'm inspired by skating which gives me all these "gifts".

Chico

Stormy
09-17-2003, 08:33 PM
I started skating after watching Brian Boitano and Nancy Kerrigan in a Pro Am about 10 years ago. I just started in a regular LTS and progressed to private lessons.

Every single time I step on the ice I think of how lucky I am that I can skate. I love to skate. I'll probably never do a triple or double axel, but I have my own goals that I know I can fulfill. Maybe I'll be AN champion someday. :) Skating transcends me from everything else that's going on in my life. When I'm on the ice, that's where I'm focused. The ice is the best home I know. :)

nieve
09-19-2003, 11:16 AM
... Hm .. :roll:

When I was 13 y.o. :D
I started ..by.. -> Hockey player with my friends:??
Then..changed to Figure 'till now ...:) hehe

jazzpants
09-19-2003, 12:11 PM
I moved to a house one block from an ice rink! :D

eliao
09-19-2003, 12:31 PM
For me, it was the 1984 Olympics and watching Katarina Witt and Scott Hamilton skate. I got my first pair of figure skates after begging my parents forever for my 11th birthday, and my dad surprised me one step further when he told me he bought skating lessons for me too! Right before I got my skates I got really sick and had to be hospitalized. My illness was so bad that because I was bedridden for weeks, I had to learn how to walk all over again. I remember my dad bringing in my new skates into the hospital room and lacing them on to my feet, willing me to get well so that I can skate again. I did get well but unfortunately, I was never able to take those lessons and wore my precious new skates only twice before I grew out of them. It was out of the question to ask my parents to buy me another pair of skates again, but my love of skating and wanting to skate never waned.

Flash forward 12 years. I finally fulfilled my lifelong dream by purchasing my own skates with my own money. I had rollerblades, but it never really could compare with the sensation of smooth ice and frictionless gliding under my feet. My boyfriend and now husband, surprised me with group figure skating lessons for my birthday and I have been skating ever since. I also still have my little first pair of skates in my closet, barely used, and I will treasure them forever.

Synchroprincess
09-19-2003, 05:06 PM
I saw Kristi Yamaguchi in the 92 Olympics n fell in love w/the sport. I wanted to be just like her...a little asian girl...hehe. Well 11 years later...here i am!