View Full Version : Klingbeil opinions?

icesk8er31
07-01-2002, 03:16 PM
I posted this on another board but got somewhat limited feedback, so I thought I'd try here.

Does anyone out there skate in Klingbeil's? I'm looking into new boots after three years on Silver Stars. They are finally starting to break down (now that I've learned to bend my knees!). I'm working on the lutz. I have a few "foot issues" that have led me to think maybe a custom boot would be better for me (normal toes, very narrow heels; one foot a half size bigger than the other, slight pronation on left foot.) What are your opinions about Klingbeils? Any other options anyone would suggest?

Thanks!

melanieuk
07-01-2002, 04:05 PM
I've had Klingbeils since last August and was delighted with them.
They didn't hurt, I could do all jumps and spins within hours and was attempting axels in them.
No blisters, no rubbing, and comfort all round.
Recently Ive had a slight foot injury, which I'm sure is just stress rather than a blip in the boot itself.
Money well spent.

flippet
07-01-2002, 04:52 PM
I know there's a listing out there somewhere that gives comparisons of the different brands regarding what kind/shape of foot they fit best...unfortunately, I don't recall where it is. :(

A friend had custom Klingbeils, and had non-stop problems with her heels slipping--but she's had that problem with a number of brands, so it may not be the boot. At any rate, you'll want to see if Klingbeils are good for narrow heels or not. Brands that *are* good for narrow heels are Harlick and SPTeri (which I've got now..I have narrow heels, and I love my SPTeri's!), among others.

jenlyon60
07-01-2002, 04:57 PM
I'm on my 3rd pair. I had very little break-in time with this pair... I wore them around the house a bit for a couple weeks before I got the blades put on (this mostly because I didn't want to change equipment until after my dance test). Went cold turkey into the new pair after the dance test and no problems. Skated in them the first time for 45 minutes with only 1 re-lacing, and never looked back.

BTW, foot-wise, I have fairly straight feet, average width, no real bone spurs or the like.

My only complaint was the super-slick nylon laces that Klingbeil uses as their stock laces. But I removed those and put my favorite cotton laces in and life was grand.

db
07-01-2002, 11:39 PM
[quote:45b58ffa92="jenlyon60"]My only complaint was the super-slick nylon laces that Klingbeil uses as their stock laces. But I removed those and put my favorite cotton laces in and life was grand.[/quote:45b58ffa92]

When I got my Klingbeils, Don, for some reason, decided that I shouldn't have the nylon laces and gave me several pairs of cotton/nylon blend that I love. I realy don't remember why, but if you don't want nylon, just let them know.

My daughter and I both skate in Klingbeils and love them. She also has one foot a half size larger than the other and narrow heels. She had large bumps on her heels from wearing Riedells for years. They have almost disappeared after two years in her Klingbeils.

There is no one boot that is best for everyone, and I have heard of a few people who weren't happy with their Klingbeils. I have been to their store in Jamaica, NY many times, and can tell you firsthand that they will do anything to please their customers. Once when I was there, a woman in her 70's was back for the third time unhappy with her boots. They very nicely offered her a refund and gave it to her on the spot. After she left, Don K told me that he had rebuilt her boots three times and that she would never be satisfied with any new boots because no boots would ever feel like her ten year old Harlicks. He said they rarely get such customers, but that when they do, it is better to just refund their money than to prolong the agony.

Something to know before you buy, is that there is one price for all custom boots, but be prepared with the options you want, such as shearling tongues, boot color etc. You will not necessarily be offered anything other than choice of color.

Artistic Skaters
07-02-2002, 09:12 AM
Everyone I know who has them loves them & is a repeat buyer.

skatesnrides
07-02-2002, 09:38 AM
[b:c2c17d4189]icesk8er31:[/b:c2c17d4189]

Just curious as to why you are considering Klingbeil customs over others such as Harlick & SPTeri? I know 3 people with Klingbeils and they all seem to love them. My coach goes through a pair a year & he swears by them. Although he also claims to have "bear" sized feet & says they are the only ones that give him good width coverage across the balls of his feet. Two other skaters I know like them but have also told me they sometimes feel too big. I have the same problem as you with narrow heels and one foot slightly smaller than the other (& slight pronation). I have custom Harlicks and they are quite comfortable although the heel is still not snug enough. So even if you do get customs, you may still have to have adjustments made.

LoopLoop
07-02-2002, 09:49 AM
In my area there have been problems with Klingbeils in the past year or two...except for people who drive up to New York and have their feet measured there. One person sent hers back three times, and Klingbeil finally sent her money back. Someone else also sent hers back three different times and eventually the boots were usable, but still not perfect.

Most people (not the two mentioned above) have had to send the boots back once, as they're usually too big on the first go-round.

icesk8er31
07-02-2002, 10:30 AM
I'm considering Klingbeils because that is what I can get fit for at my home rink. It's either those, GAM customs (which are $600) or stock boots. If I want custom Harlicks, I have to take the measurements myself and hope I'm doing it right. My other option is just to buy another pair of Reidell Silver Stars and put inserts in them.

About the options on Klingbeils, is there a place that lists all of them? Their website is singularly unhelpful.

jenlyon60
07-02-2002, 01:30 PM
I suspect that ultimately, any pair of customs is only going to be as good as the measurements.

And key to the measurements is:

1. Someone who knows what they're doing and are experienced.

2. My thought... if you normally skate late in the day, get measured later in the day. Some people's feet tend to be swell a bit from morning to evening.

3. Same stockings/socks you'd normally wear skating.

4. Know how to describe your skating style and level.

Like I said above, I'm on my 3rd pair of Klingbeils, and haven't had a problem with any of the 3 pairs. Maybe I'm lucky? Maybe I've got feet that are "good" Klingbeil feet?

icesk8er31
07-02-2002, 04:42 PM
Jenny,

Can you tell me what options are available on Klingbeils? I know you can get a fuzzy tounge (sounds like a good drink name, or maybe what you get with a hangover!) and choose color, but I suspect there are other options as well.

Thanks!

jenlyon60
07-02-2002, 05:23 PM
I got tan boots, medium thickness, and had the boot cut lower, especially in back (I have only 3 rows of hooks vice the "normal 4".) The lower cut in back helps with the toe pointing, sort of like the dance back-stay that Harlick offers (only without the soft stuff).

I went with the foam tongue that they have (it's a dense foam, not the spongy foam like Riedell and Jackson use in their lower to medium end boots... holds up real well and doesn't shred or dry out).

Although I do almost exclusively dance and these are for dance, I chose not to get dance scallops. I know of skaters with Klingbeil boots who have gotten dance scallops, so I know they're available.

Hope this helps.

Careygram
07-03-2002, 11:27 AM
I have had Klingbeils for four years now and can't skate without them. I have never had one problem with them and all the strange bumps, blisters and calluses from harlicks and riedells dissappeared after I got mine. I did drive to NY and was fitted by the older Mr. Klingbeil. I have very skinny feet and narrow heels and these skates have not ever given me a problem. I know that some people have had big problems with them and there is no one right skate for every person but I will never wear anything but Klingbeils now.

melanieuk
07-13-2002, 10:51 AM
Here is a pic of my boots!

Click on link to view. :wink:

http://uk.geocities.com/melanie32uk/murrayfield.html

Mazurka Girl
07-15-2002, 03:27 PM
I have SP Teri's myself, but know lots of skaters with Klingbeils & have never heard any complaints! They usually go to NYC in person to have them fitted. It's a 4 hr drive but I guess it's worth it to them. 8)

iskater13
07-16-2002, 06:00 AM
Hi,
I recently i was fitted for Klingbeils at Nationals....Now I have always worn Riedells, they took me all through my Junior test and three years with Disney on Ice. I could not break in the Riedells anymore and bought the Klingbeils, right out of the box on to the ice, they feel like slippers, get them you will love em :0) LOL] :D [/b]

melanieuk
07-17-2002, 12:36 PM
Who's boots feel heavy?
Other people have commented to me, on picking them up, how heavy they are?
Sometimes I do feel a weight is pulling me down, but I put that down to being not as fit as I once was! :roll:

ddpskater
07-17-2002, 12:57 PM
If your rink only fits a couple kinds of boots you can try the larger competitions in your area b/c frequently there will be boot manufacturers reps on hand to fit and sell. You can also see examples of some of the options that way. Good luck.

I have custom Harlicks fitted by Phil from Harlick who went once or twice a year to Dante Cozzi in NY. Lived close to Klingbeil, but was scared off by a coach who had a bad experiance. Since then have heard nothing but good things about Klingbeil. Like my Harlicks, but they took a few months to break in, skating about 5 hours a week, but with really bad knee bends and baby jumps.

Elsy2
07-17-2002, 01:31 PM
[quote:81dfa7bf13="melanieuk"]Who's boots feel heavy?
:[/quote:81dfa7bf13]

I don't know for sure the weight differences in boots, but my daughter's custom Harlick's feel the heaviest. Certainly heavier than my SP-teri super teri's.

backspin
07-17-2002, 01:45 PM
One girl at my rink complained her Kingbeils were too heavy. She's pretty petite, so maybe she noticed more. Mine never bothered me.

I have Klingbeils too & love them. About to order my second pair! (saving furiously...)

icesk8er31
07-17-2002, 03:12 PM
Thanks all! I go to be fitted tomorrow. Wish me luck!

icesk8er31
07-18-2002, 08:55 PM
Ordered my new Klingbeils today! I was amazed at the thoroughness of the fitting process. Tracings, measurements, foam and a series of pictures. All in all, it took about an hour! I do have one last question for the Klingbeil afficiandos out there: What strength boot did you get? We decided to order the light model (out of light, strong and really strong) since it took me three years to break down my Silver Stars. Any thoughts on this while I can still call and change it?

ddpskater
07-19-2002, 10:07 AM
Light is good. You don't want boots too strong for you b/c you won't get the most out of them for a very long time. I was sold Silver Stars when I was just learning 3 turns and it was months before I could do anything (not just break them in, but do any of the moves I could do in my old skates). When I got custom Harlicks they were made light (I think "Competitor" strength) and while they took a feww months to break in, I could skate in them right away.

Jeanette
07-28-2002, 03:34 PM
I've had Klingbeils for about three years now. I have absolutely no complaints. The best part is that they service them forever and ever. I need to go get them repadded - after all, they do wear down, and I know that they will do a great job. Had it done once before so far. As for narrow heels, they have a heel grip that they can add if you need it. I got the light model since I'm only learning single jumps and they did feel a little bit heavy, but I've worked on strength and conditioning and hardly feel them at all now. I don't even think about it. I changed the laces also, to the cotton poly blend. Enjoy!